cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tools

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Im helping a friend set up his new rig and the subject of what tools to carry has arisen.

The question is to bring SAE fractional wrenches or sockets, or is everything now metric ?

This will be a small to middlin' tool set just for minor repairs and maintenance issues, nothing big and heavy and complicated.

Thanks!
48 REPLIES 48

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I carry small channel lock, large channel lock, 2 adjustable wrenches, 2 flat heads one small, other huge to disable boat hydraulic lift failure on water, mutimeter, wire crimper, dyke cutter, connections, phillups to fix canoe, robertson bit drivers to tackle camper pita problems, eternabond tape when Murphy Calls.
9 out of 10 its fixing kids toys/bikes, occasion 12 volt problem, or blown fuse.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
I figger I do not need to rebuild a transmission while boondocking. Just jury rig a repair good enough to limp back to civilization.

All the tools I carry fit in a .50 cal ammo can. I have not yet needed anything that was not in there. Some tools got used creatively and some of the repairs were not elegant, but I made it back home.

I stopped carrying SAE. In my shop at home all my SAE tools are boxed up and shoved under a bench. I use them so rarely I put them out of the way.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Kevarino
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
gmctoyman wrote:
Whatever you have isnโ€™t going to be what you need.

Yep, happens sometimes. That is when you go for a stroll around the CG & knock on the door of what appears to be a fulltiming RV. Your best shot at locating the tool you need.

Call the Gornicke's
Kevin and Barbara
2007 Winnebago Tour 40 TD
Cummings ISL 400

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a full set of tools----SAE and METRIC-------sockets open and box wrenches hammers, screwdrivers, pliers,multi-meter, Torque wrenches and a bunch of other stuff to mechanic with. Saws, drills, etc. I have all the welding products needed except for a welder. I use jumper cables and 3 ea. 12 volt batteries to weld with.
since 1986 and full timing most of that time I had everything I needed except one time my utility trailer tongue cracked and I had to find a Welder. Too big a job for me and my Battery welder.
Someone mentioned Tape. Make sure you carry DUCT tape and not Duck tape. Big difference.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
Almost all of the tools mentioned are mechanical. Many problems are electrical and a multi-meter and maybe a clamp-on AC DC ammeter can be very useful. I wouldn't leave home without them. I carry a soldering gun too.

Meters and soldering guns are useless if you don't know how to use them ;);)

At some point, wouldn't it just be easier to have your significant other drive behind you in a full size mechanics service truck? Reading this thread (and others like it) make me think that LOL?

We have nearly everything condensed to a normal size toolbox that tucks nicely in a basement compartment. But our tool-packing-plan changes based on the location, distance of travel, and time spent.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Almost all of the tools mentioned are mechanical. Many problems are electrical and a multi-meter and maybe a clamp-on AC DC ammeter can be very useful. I wouldn't leave home without them. I carry a soldering gun too.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a problem in places like this, you may wish that you had backups and tools along to handle an awful lot of different types of broken stuff:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmctoyman wrote:

Yep, happens sometimes. That is when you go for a stroll around the CG & knock on the door of what appears to be a fulltiming RV. Your best shot at locating the tool you need.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

But I have one question ... isn't the purpose of some of those codes to let you know that something serious is actually wrong such that you're about to find yourself stranded along the side of the road?

In theory, you're correct. However, with the newer modern diesels, if you took your truck to the repair shop every time the check engine light came on, you'd be on a first name basis with the guy who manages the vending machines ๐Ÿ˜‰

Its certainly easier said than done in practicality, but a "Service DEF System" warning can mean so many things that even the dealership mechanics are often guilty of just throwing parts (ie money) at the problem. A few internet searches yield many stories about this. Those stupid DEF injectors get stuck all the time (and many times un-stick themselves). If you check the codes with a good scanning software, the problems are often silly and unintelligible.

Your truck's running good, not overheating, not losing power, fluids are good, fuel mileage is good...but you get a CEL...keep on truckin...
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
mat60 wrote:
I'm trying to think of what would be better. Take a lot of stuff and still not have what you need or camp close to home so you can go get what you forgot.

I think it's maybe better to take the minimum reasonable amount you're likely to need and a bit of a slush fund to get any oddities that come up while away from home. I'd rather have to buy, say, a Harbor Freight oscillating tool than carry one around for years before needing it, taking up space and weight that could be used for other more immediately useful things.
I agree. Was having a bit of fun but I'm out in the shop today looking at all the things Id like to bring thinking I'm going to half to drag all this weight around when my truck is underpowered up hills as it is. Never mind the fact my stock TT tires are **** so I'm doing just what you said. Not taking everything I have in the shop. :)....I guess you cant say Cra* here.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
mat60 wrote:
I'm trying to think of what would be better. Take a lot of stuff and still not have what you need or camp close to home so you can go get what you forgot.

I think it's maybe better to take the minimum reasonable amount you're likely to need and a bit of a slush fund to get any oddities that come up while away from home. I'd rather have to buy, say, a Harbor Freight oscillating tool than carry one around for years before needing it, taking up space and weight that could be used for other more immediately useful things.

mat60
Explorer
Explorer

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
OR---do as I did. I brought every tool on the shelf to Alaska last summer, except the cordless drill that I left charging on the bench. Guess which tool I really needed? Yep, the cordless drill.
Ahhhhh, make a list?
That's funny. I was going to use the cordless from my cabinet shop when we go camping but now that I see your post I'm getting another one.