cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6V deep cycle batteries

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Have had som very overcast weather the last 4 days, batteries down to 82% in morning back to 95% afternoon, how long can this be don before a 100% recharge becomes essential.
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.
41 REPLIES 41

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
No worries, you didn't do major disservice to batteries by charging them to 95% for a few weeks.
Double the battery bank if you can. Then it would be 97% in low overcast - good enough.
Add another 200-250W solar and install adequate controller, and you wouldn't have to start this thread as the batteries would charge 99.999 in this weather.

This is, more-less what it takes to properly set up your system. Like other posted noted, you will then need generator rarely, if ever.

Big compressor fridge puts you in a category where in the worst weather scenario a minimum solar size (to camp without generator) would be more than your RV roof can handle. This would be when it rains heavily all day or you are parked in really dense shade. Solar homes anywhere South of Wa use generators in emergency only, when something breaks, which doesn't happen often. They can ride a bad weather spell out, battery bank big enough for 7-10 days of zero charging. For RV it is difficult to carry a bank bigger than 5 days worth without going into expense of Li batteries.

My bank is 300 AH @12V, it will run 4 days before it drops to 50% because fridge is propane. 490W solar and there is room for more. Purchase of a generator is unlikely.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will say this again... I see no issue with charging a Lead Acid battery to 80 or 90 percent (True Deep Cycle) several times in a row, say 2 or 3 weeks, but DO bring it up to 100% ASAP.. It does need to be full (and then some) at least once a week if possible (use generator)

Beyond that.. Little comment.

I ran my original Interstates 9 years,, But then I charge with a Progressive Dynamics 9180+ Wizard.. The new DEKA's are slightly largerm and I've also added more batteries.. The Interstates I had to water every Mother's day when new (mnore frequently after the first few years) the Deka's. Well I got 'em about 4 years ago watered them the first time last month.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Frank, Frank, I believe you may have missed a day in solar school. Solar doesnโ€™t always completely fill your batteries. Clouds, rain etc. A back up small inverter generator is essential. And a genny isnโ€™t always ready...no gasoline, fouled spark plug and the genny doesnโ€™t work! Next, RV batteries arenโ€™t a legacy to pass to your great-grandchildren...nor Biblical. Use them respectfully and buy new ones.

A properly set up system will rarely if ever require a generator.

Going into year 7 ( heading out for 2 months next week), of almost 100% dry/ boondock camping with running genny a few times the first year out. The few times we have electric hookups are not because of lack of power in our 4 6V GC-2 batteries.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Almot I have newer got below 82% so far, as my hybrid magnum can charge op to 125A if I run a generator I donโ€™t think I have to do much to bring solar op I have seen 14,8V on the display, my 45A Progressives multi stage charger donโ€™t do a bad job when on the pedestal power & the solar.
Only wanted to make sure I didnโ€™t do any major disservice to batteries.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slownsy wrote:
Ravioli? Now popcorn? How long can I run my microwave on my depleted batteries. I think ?? We may have to bye a new generator.

Metaphores, as usual.

Translation - think and change settings as needed.

Sure, buy a new generator, service and exercise it, and hope that it will work when your solar (not properly set or not big enough) won't do the job.

Between servicing and exercising the genny - or before buying it - take time to bring solar to where it should be, considering your energy use, so that the generator will be rarely needed to rely on.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ravioli? Now popcorn? How long can I run my microwave on my depleted batteries. I think ?? We may have to bye a new generator.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
No electro-chemical variance / cycle life relationship can be charted. You may put a huge period after that.

If a flooded battery does not revert all cells to original density that battery is not charged. Put a period after that as well.

BFL13 tried his best to show what happens of 50/90 % recharging was performed on a repetitive basis.

When I encounter a shumdit smart charger that can not fully recharge a battery, which means nearly all Einstein programmable frauds, I chop interest right then and there. The product is a failure.

Advertising does not win, opinion does not win, hypnotic lights and psychotic buttons do not matter. What matters, the only thing that matters, is IS THE ELECTROLYTE RESTORED TO FULL DENSITY. Either it is or it isn't. This isn't rocket science.

Yeah MICROWAVE SMART BUTTONS. Buy a thousand dollar microwave oven. One that advertises it has a central processor and inverter. Would give a CRAY II a run for it's money...

Then buy any one of five dozen brands of microwave popcorn. Read the instructions

FIRST AND FOREMOST

DO NOT USE THE POPCORN SETTING ON THE MICROWAVE OVEN.

DO NOT LEAVE POPCORN UNATTENDED. WHEN POPPING CEASES SHUT OFF THE OVEN.

The oven manufacturers are in the same league with the smart charger crowd.

The manufacturer of the popcorn has everything to lose

The microwave manufacturer has ZERO to lose.

Need I distill this down even further?

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Frank, Frank, I believe you may have missed a day in solar school. Solar doesnโ€™t always completely fill your batteries. Clouds, rain etc. A back up small inverter generator is essential. And a genny isnโ€™t always ready...no gasoline, fouled spark plug and the genny doesnโ€™t work! Next, RV batteries arenโ€™t a legacy to pass to your great-grandchildren...nor Biblical. Use them respectfully and buy new ones.

A properly set up system will rarely if ever require a generator.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replyโ€™s, I get 5-10 days max before a 100% recharge, in-line with my thinking ?? but newer to old to learn, as I am now back in Australia ???? and power hear 240V things a bit different, I did plan on getting a new 110V generator but freight a big issue, as I also now has some 240V appliances I think I will go with the new Honda 2200 240V which will work true a step down transformer already in place for all 120V items.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
TM-2030 Trimetric absorb 14.5 Amp set pt 2% 520A. time 4h high V15.9. float V13.5 Overcharge 10%. Finish A 3.5%
Solar 600W I am running a domestic 314l Samsung inverter fridge. Overnight all op usage around 14-16% 80A. As my generator was stolen I just wanted to check how long without damaging batteries. Back on a powered site for now. Thanks all.
Frank.
I'd sugget to set your absorption voltage higher. 6V batteries will thrive on higher voltages. I have mine set at 14.8V and temp control, while in Winter storage, will increase that to 15V. Batteries do well with these voltages.

I would suggest a full charge every two weeks or whatever fits your schedule. The difference in battery longevity between 75% of capacity, recharged to 100% every few weeks and 100% of capacity, recharged daily is probably a few days.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:

Bogart current - 30A max - comes from Bogart.

The IUI profile comes from battery makers, of course folks are allowed to set them to what they want.

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Lawrosa - inverter fridges draw "less" energy daily than on-off machines. But 12 cu.ft (or is it 13?) is a lot to cool, you can't trick physics.

Though not important in this particular situation - low overcast - but his 600W solar is not 60A system. Bogart PWM add-on to Trimetric monitor is 30A max. It does have limiting circuitry that allows over-panelling up to 600W without going up in smoke - as I recall - but it can't do more than 30A.

Not completely correct. It's a 31 amp controller. Then it derates it as the amps available are higher.
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
When you know your ravioli, you know how long to keep it in the oven and at what temperature, to make sure it comes out just right.

It's a SMART oven. It has no adjustment. It knows how *IT* wants your ravioli to be prepared. There's no way in the world you would EVER GET burned ravioli, right?

This is how stupid smart battery charging is...

Get the parallel here?

David, I almost don't get your heated point.

i.e. Many ovens have very smart fixed settings ... maybe even some have a setting for "ravioli". What could be simpler? :h and :B
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
What Mex is doing, is trying to get people to think. He does this often ๐Ÿ™‚

Bogart current - 30A max - comes from Bogart.