cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US 95 through Nevada

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever taken US 95 north from Las Vegas up toward southeastern Oregon? We'll be driving a 34 foot motorhome and no toad.
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C
17 REPLIES 17

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
C&J wrote:
OP is back with a follow-up question: are there any campgrounds/RV parks along the route?
We stop in Ely
http://www.valleyviewrvelynevada.com/

Small train museum across the way if you have an extra hour in the morning.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spent a night at an RV park in Jordan Valley,OR. On a Monday in May it was fairly empty, with more mobile homes than RVs. But this right after the big rodeo weekend.

There are gas stations (not necessarily open) with big open areas at Burns Junction and Rome Station. An an RV park on the NV/OR state line.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
There's a nice one in Hawthorne, right on the highway - Whiskey Flats. I normally stop there overnight to empty all of my tanks and winterize my trailer.

I know there are RV sites at the Fallon Campground.

There are several RV parks in Winnemucca. There really Isn't much after you leave Winnemucca. I think there are some sites behind the gas station in Orovada.

I really can't speak to any others. Home is Boise area, so once I pass Winnemucca I'm aiming for my own driveway.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
OP is back with a follow-up question: are there any campgrounds/RV parks along the route?
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Winnemucca is on Interstate 80 and goes east/west.
95 north cuts off from Winnemucca. I drive that section of highway between Jordan Valley and Winnemucca multiple times a year.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
Ppine, its also alternate 95

Correct I 80 in that location is both I 80 & 95. I usually stop at the truck stop a little west of Winnemucca for gas. Dick

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its a pretty desolate area. We followed a set of tire tracks in the snow on 95 one time and simply hoped for the best. Only an inch or so snow and the road disappears.
Choose your weather carefully.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay thanks.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Ppine, its also alternate 95

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I drive it frequently. It's a really good road. I tow with an F150, so I stop and fill up when I see a gas station. Particularly in Fallon and Winnemucca. Make sure you watch the weather, especially the expected winds. I've stopped in Winnemucca more than once to wait out the wind.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Its a good hwy all the way thru eastern Oregon. We live 1/2 mile from it. Regarding Gas we have a 55 gal tank and if in LV leave with a full tank then top off in Beatty, if we need gas put some in Hawthorne ( just some since its only 70 miles to Fallon) and fill up in Fallon. If continuing on 95N we fill up in Winnemucca before heading north to Oregon. Dick

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive it all the time but it is boring. Not interesting at all. Taking US 395 through the Ownes Valley is one of the great motoring roads in America.
If you are adventerous take one of the roads through Death Valley. If not take Highway 6 over Montgomery Pass.

Once you get to Reno keep going up to Susanville, CA and then take Route 44 to McCloudCA the old logging town and pick up Interstate 5 near there. It is the back way but a really great road through forests with views of Mt Lassen and Mt Shasta.

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
Yep itโ€™s a good road. Just drove a school bus along that same route. Driven it several times in a car as well. I agree with the fuel stops. Beatty, Tonopah and Fallon are good stops with reasonable prices. Make sure you donโ€™t speed through the little towns. They are sticklers especially in Beatty.