cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pacific Coast Highway

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many days should one take to drive from San Luis Obispo to Monterey on Highway 1 for a leisurely enjoyment of the route and sites?

Are the "enroute camping" lots (first come first serve overnight parking) at approved State Beaches worth it? Or is it much better to pay more and get a State Beach campsite through reservations? March-April

Truck Camper - no trailer.
10 REPLIES 10

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now see that? Get some in real life, and some in video life. And that's a compromise Americans like DW and I can handle!

I'll study up further, there and elsewhere. Thanks so much for the helpful information!

When my wife and I were dating back in the early 80's, the Thistle mudslide occurred in Utah, cutting us off from the route naturally taken between where we lived, and a frequent destination "in the city". Took the long way around for quite some time. Like Forrest Gump said, "It happens".

The earth will do what it will do, and we are just kind of along for the ride. Might just as well spend our down time experiencing and learning more about it. 😉

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love it. You sound like our kind of people. Was kinda thinking that too. Thanks for the recommendation. And even up from the south, to see the history of the slide too. And Hearst Castle.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Despite the closures, if you have the time, it is well worth coming in from the north side and camping on the Big Sur coast. Isolated, dramatic, and unique area -- thousand foot cliffs plunging down to the ocean, redwoods in the canyons, whales on the horizon.

Plus, look at it this way -- the fact that the road is blocked cuts down on the usual crowds! (There is always a bright side.) 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay thanks. Two spots closed.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We had planned to drive that route last May until the huge mud and rockslides closed Hwy 1.

We decided to visit a lot of the old Spanish missions driving north on 101 from SLO - enjoyed it a lot.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Still closed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
You can't get there from there on HWY 1, it's closed.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Pete: Better check with Cal-Trans to make sure Hwy. 1 is opened. It has been closed up around Big Sur due to last years mudslide.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Dave ~~ Are you asking of Hwy 1 or Hwy 101. Think 1 may not be viable. JM2¢ YMMV