cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MN is passing a law to fine left lane drivers

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://blogs.mprnews.org/capitol-view/2018/03/minnesota-lawmakers-step-on-the-gas-to-pass-slowpoke-...

They watered it down so that it now is only going to be a 100 dollar fine.
71 REPLIES 71

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
The northeast is basically all 10 over. I set my cruise control to 9 over and have only been stopped when the speed limit went down and I didn't notice (thanks Portland Maine).

So Maryland has introduced these speed cameras (HATE EM!!!) and the camera's give you 11 mph over the speed limit without a citation, but 12 mph over triggers the camera.

It seems to me that someone could make a very valid argument that by allowing 11 mph over the limit without triggering a violation on the camera, Maryland has conceded that it is now within the law to drive up to 11 mph over the speed limit without consequence.

I'm sure in a lot of jurisdictions, especially the liberal ones surrounding the DC area, that argument would hold weight and relieve one of a lower speed ticket...

But I am NOT advocating that you speed in Maryland, for the record... before someone accuses me of such.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Itโ€™s funny how speeds are such a regional thing.

The northeast is basically all 10 over. I set my cruise control to 9 over and have only been stopped when the speed limit went down and I didn't notice (thanks Portland Maine).

JaxDad wrote:
In reality however if youโ€™re not doing at least 20 km/h (12 km/h) over the limit the Nun driving the school bus, and all of the kids, are going to be flipping you off, and thatโ€™s if youโ€™re in the RIGHT lane.

Now THAT's funny.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
tatest wrote:
Oklahoma has changed the law to "Keep Right Except to Pass" instead of "Slower Traffic Keep Right." I think it is just another ploy to collect more money from Texas drivers passing through, who are already good targets because they don't understand "Speed Limits Strictly Enforced" and are accustomed to running 10-15 mph over cruising the left lane.

10 to 15 over is a lot. Back in the days of the stupid universal 55 MPH limit they used to give me tickets for going 6 to 7 mph over.Even on the interstate. They don't seem to do that in MN anymore.

On 2 lane road in MN it is now legal to go 10 over to pass someone. I don't know if that is true on the interstate or not.

Itโ€™s funny how speeds are such a regional thing.

Here in Canuckistan speed โ€˜limitsโ€™ are more like โ€˜vague guidelinesโ€™.

In other than congested rush hour areas in built up areas our version of the Interstate system has a 100 km/h (62 mph) speed limit. In reality however if youโ€™re not doing at least 20 km/h (12 km/h) over the limit the Nun driving the school bus, and all of the kids, are going to be flipping you off, and thatโ€™s if youโ€™re in the RIGHT lane.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
tatest wrote:
Oklahoma has changed the law to "Keep Right Except to Pass" instead of "Slower Traffic Keep Right." I think it is just another ploy to collect more money from Texas drivers passing through, who are already good targets because they don't understand "Speed Limits Strictly Enforced" and are accustomed to running 10-15 mph over cruising the left lane.

10 to 15 over is a lot. Back in the days of the stupid universal 55 MPH limit they used to give me tickets for going 6 to 7 mph over.Even on the interstate. They don't seem to do that in MN anymore.

On 2 lane road in MN it is now legal to go 10 over to pass someone. I don't know if that is true on the interstate or not.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
A sorta-new law here in Okla and there's at least one trooper out there who enforces it. Oldest boy a dedicated "left-lane-5mph-slower-than-speed-limit-if-somebody-wants-to-pass-me-there's-the-right-hand-lane" driver. Won't tell me how much it cost. I assume it was a pretty expensive lesson, up to 9mph over the posted speed limit is $280.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am the guy who still shows some courtesy on the highway, even if I have right of way. At an interchange if I see somebody especially another large vehicle such as myself on the ramp & it is clear that there may be some conflict by the time we get to the accelleration lane & there is traffic on my left, I will back off enough to let that large vehicle in without drama. What does it cost me? A second? Maybe two?

We all drive heavy vehicles. We all know what it takes to get them moving.

Same situation with cars is another thing. Every car made can out accellerate me. If the car driver finds himself right next a big white fiberglass box as he gets in the accelleration lane, he had better step on it. Happens so often. Here comes a car on a Sunday cruise as he enters the highway. Does not look. Does not accellerate to speed. Often yapping on the phone. Gets to the end of the accelleration lane & finds that he is still next to a big white box. Oh dear. Should have paid attention to your driving sooner.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
...You have it except for one item. You are obliged not to change speed...
So if a guy is coming down the ramp ahead of me it's illegal from me to take my foot of the gas (changing my speed) momentarily to ensure there is enough gap ahead of me for him to get into comfortably? Of course not, that would be common courtesy. That's what I was referring to in my post, "adjust my speed reasonably". Let's agree not to nitpick this thing.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
dhull wrote:
You are right. Guess I missed seeing the removal of yield signs for an implied merge. Problem is someone needs to stand on while the other merges, just like in boating. You can't force a merge. Stupid change, when I learned to drive you were to yield upon enering a highway. But back then a yellow light meant clear the inersection not gun it.

Yield signs have not been used in decades on freeway ramps (except in rare specific situations).

If you look at the pavement markings, the Freeway lanes continue thru and the ramp lanes merge in (in most cases). That puts the burden on the ramp vehicle to find a space to merge. There is also typical a merge warning sign supplementing the pavement markings.

The meaning of a Yellow signal at a traffic signal also hasn't changed in decades. In most states (depending on the specific adoption of the Uniform Vehicle Code), it is illegal to enter an intersection on Yellow unless it is unsafe to do otherwise...of course drivers have always used the gun it approach but this goes back to cops don't like to write tickets for gray area items. They have to make a determination if it was safe to enter and they tend to err on the side of not writing the ticket unless it's blatent.

One difference you may be seeing is there has been a gradual transitions as road agencies adopted the ITE signal clearance interval methodology over the last 10-15yrs (not all have adopted it yet but it's moving in that direction).
- In the past you went from Green to Yellow to Green on the cross road. The Yellow was calculated based on the perception/reaction time plus the time to come to a stop plus the time to clear the intersection.
- With the update, it goes from Green to Yellow to ALL RED to Green on the cross road. The Yellow is equal to the time calculated for perception/reaction time plus the time it takes to come to a stop. The time to clear the intersection has been moved to the All Red. Therefore if a driver enters on yellow they probably didn't have time to stop safely but if they enter on red, it's clear cut for the cop.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Growing up in Northern Ca (and Northern Ca is NORTH of Sacramento NOT the bay area)
Having to drive the freeway I-5 back and forth to work everyday , 99% of the slow poke drivers parked in the left lane were Oregon and Washington plated vehicles , from cars to MH's it didn't make any difference !

Now that we have had a chance to travel abit , back to DC and another trip back to Florida .
We have traveled high and low back and forth traveling, when we hit parts of New Mexico , Texas and Alabama people actually drove like you are suppose to !
Merged into traffic not merging on doing 35-45 mph and to hell with anyone that don't like it.
Stayed to the right, passed only when needed, then right back into the right lane using their turn signals !

From the rest of the states we traveled it was like the idiots acted like they were the only ones on the road , no turn signals whenever and wherever, parked in the left lane no matter how many cars lined up behind them.
Cut you off and give you the finger when you tap your horn thinking maybe they didn't see you. Oh they saw you "its the world evolves around me and laws don't apply to me mentality anymore"

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
dhull wrote:
You are right. Guess I missed seeing the removal of yield signs for an implied merge. Problem is someone needs to stand on while the other merges, just like in boating. You can't force a merge. Stupid change, when I learned to drive you were to yield upon enering a highway. But back then a yellow light meant clear the inersection not gun it.

Calling it a "yield" causes issues, at least according to Oregon's definition of what a driver is supposed to do at a yield sign:
Oregon Revised Statutes wrote:
Yield signs. A driver approaching a yield sign shall slow the driverโ€™s vehicle to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and if necessary for safety, shall stop at a line as required for stop signs under this section, and shall yield the right of way to any vehicles in the intersection or approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard.

Stopping at the end of an on-ramp is about the worst thing a driver could do and shouldn't be encouraged.

They are supposed to yield the right of way to traffic on the highway, which is slightly different and can be ticketed for not doing it.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
troubledwaters wrote:
It's incumbent upon the driver merging into traffic to do so safely. First and foremost I try to ensure they have adequate space, I will adjust my speed reasonably, and/or move over to accommodate them when I can. But absent the ability to do either of those, I let them make their own decisions. They can speed up, slow down, hit their brakes, run into the ditch, or hit me; whatever they want, I don't care. But in 48 years of driving I have never had one hit me; they have all taken one of the other choices.

You have it except for one item. You are obliged not to change speed.

It's the merging vehicles responsibility to find an opening to merge but if you start changing your speed, they can't determine if it's a safe gap to merge into.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Did you ever just cruise up the right lane with the cruise control on and come up behind a slower vehicle, swing out to pass only to have that sucker attain your speed and hold you out there?

Most people don't realize in PA it is a VIOLATION to speed up while being overtaken. You are required to maintain or slow while a vehicle is actively passing you.

I believe the intent is more for smaller roads with Pass when clear dashed lines.

I did call a company number on a truck a few years ago. I81 northbound from Richmond to Winchester. Left lane no passing, no merging SOB had more than 40 vehicle lined up.

I told the company the driver had better learn to heed the laws in PA where not only was it extremely rude and hazardous to back up traffic, he is required by law to move right unless overtaking a vehicle.

"He needs to be retrained or removed from the road"

Anyone familiar with this area knows it is about a 4 hr stretch of long uphill (mostly) traffic. A handful of idiots can make it a 6 hr drive. If traffic flows, you can have long periods of gentle, easy going driving regardless of the speed you choose.

Bottom line: If you're going to pass, get it done. If you can't or won't, get over to the right. Simple. ๐Ÿ˜‰

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
The party that needs to yield is the party that is intending to merge. Those already on the highway have the right to continue, unimpeded. In Maryland it is called the "Boulevard Rule". The rule is the same across the US, but different states call it different names.

Merging onto a highway shouldn't require a sign and instructions at every interchange, it should have been taught in basic drivers ed and practiced every time you merge onto the highway.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS