cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Treated water and dump stations in the Yukon

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Have been reading up on the Yukon's Provincial Parks and apparently their water, if available, is not treated. And dump sites at the Provincial Parks seem rare as well.

So where do you fill and dump your tanks?
Do the towns have facilities?
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow
15 REPLIES 15

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
tony lee wrote:
... the difference in the number of sites might be largely explained by the disclaimer on your list saying dump points are not necessarily listed for commercial sites who choose not to list (perhaps because they would have to pay)...

There's no cost to be on that list but over the years some commercial campgrounds haven't wanted to be listed because their dumps are only for clients. I don't know if there are any currently not on the list for that reason.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting all this info, folks.

And the explorenorth.com website has lots more useful route and campground info as well.

Appreciated.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure there is going to be any significant difference between the two lists given that when I checked the first two entries on the sanidumps list at Beaver Creek which aren't on your list, both web sites clearly show a dump point available. Guess I could check a few others to make sure, but seems to me that the difference in the number of sites might be largely explained by the disclaimer on your list saying dump points are not necessarily listed for commercial sites who choose not to list (perhaps because they would have to pay), whereas the Sanidumps list will include anything remotely available including some like Elks and Military that aren't available to the hoi polloi

Anyway, good to establish that there are adequate dump points available in the Yukon after all.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the Yukon information that's the closest to being accurate. I only note 2 errors, both in Whitehorse - Mountain Ridge is closed, and the North 60 gas station at Walmart is available for free (but often has lengthy lineups).

Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
OK. 0% is a bit drastic, but all we need is one in a few of the main towns so still worth correcting.

This is the list for Whitehorse so you should be familiar with many of them

Whitehorse, YT
Airport Chalet MARKED CLOSED

Whitehorse, YT
Canadian Tire MARKED CLOSED

Whitehorse, YT
Caribou RV Park

Whitehorse, YT
High Country RV Park

Whitehorse, YT
MacKenzie's RV Park

Whitehorse, YT
Mountain Ridge Motel & RV Park MARKED CLOSED

Whitehorse, YT
North of 60 Petro DUPLICATE

Whitehorse, YT
North of 60 Petro Express DUPLICATE

Whitehorse, YT
Pioneer RV Park

Whitehorse, YT
Robert Service Campground (City Of Whitehorse)

Whitehorse, YT
Takhini Hot Springs Campground

Whitehorse, YT
Trails North Car & Truck Stop

Whitehorse, YT
Yukon Tire Excel Centre / Tirecraft

There is one which is duplicated which I reported a couple of days ago and there are a few marked as closed on the web site, but what about the rest. Would be useful to get it more accurate for the OP and I'll be heading up this year too.

If nothing else it will give us all a good idea of the accuracy we can expect in the rest of the list for YT

Anyway, I'm quite happy to notify the changes. Once got a free ebook listing all the USA sites just for letting them know of a few corrections
Tony

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
tony lee wrote:
explorenorth wrote:
tony lee wrote:
My Sanidumps list for Yukon has more than 50 dumps and many have water available and more than enough are free with others charging something reasonable like 2 or 3 dollars

Many of the places they list are closed - some for decades.

That is always going to be the case and I guess a list that is 90% accurate is a lot better than no list at all - but if you could list the closed ones here I will let them know so they can improve the accuracy of the list for the benefit of those yet to make the trip

The list is very close to 0% accurate. There are places on the list that closed in the mid '90s. I wrote to them 3-4 years ago about it, and nothing has changed.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
tony lee wrote:
My Sanidumps list for Yukon has more than 50 dumps and many have water available and more than enough are free with others charging something reasonable like 2 or 3 dollars

That is always going to be the case and I guess a list that is 90% accurate is a lot better than no list at all - but if you could list the closed ones here I will let them know so they can improve the accuracy of the list for the benefit of those yet to make the trip
Tony

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
tony lee wrote:

No information on the whole trip will be accurate as businesses, campgrounds, fuel stations, etc. are not stable in that part of the country and some close down. Don't rely on what you read anywhere for services. Always have a backup in mind. Especially for fuel, always drive on the top 1/2 of your tank and fill up when you see it. It's no place to think you can shop for good prices as the distances are too great.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
tony lee wrote:

Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Brulaz
If you come I-10 through La youโ€™re just in time for crawfish season!
Have a good trip.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
tony lee wrote:

Yes, thanks, just found sanidumps sanidumps in Yukon

A useful website for all over.

So I think we'll manage with all the help here. Looking forward to the trip this July-Sept from Ontario and back. Dunno if we'll make it to the Artic Ocean (Toronto to Tuk), but we'll prolly get close. Hard to believe we're currently on the Gulf of Mexico and just recently left the Florida Keys.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Tony

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Any RV park works for various charges. In addition, some towns have free dumps and water. Just ask local gas stations. We use Fort St John and Watson Lake. We've also dumped at Banff and Jasper. Most water sources do not have separate flush water and drinking water like US sites, but then too you have to use your own hose to flush so if you muck it up, you have to deal with it, not the next guy in line.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
You'll probably end up with a paper copy of this RV Yukon pamphlet/flyer, complete with the map, when you're on your trip there...

Dump stations in Yukon (requires Flash)

It's indeed true that the territorial parks do not have dump station facilities, and water if available is generally untreated and may not be safe for drinking without boiling or similar purification.