cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

headlights on new cars to bright or is it me?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I see eye dr every year, mid 60's, 20/20 with bi-focles for close up stuff. Dr says my eyes OK.
I notice that newer cars headlights are supper bright. Just me or anybody else notice this?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
67 REPLIES 67

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
I think that a large part of the problem is the color temperature of the lights. Old style headlamps burned at about 3500K, which is a "warm white" light that appeared somewhat yellow. This is just fine for the light-sensitive rod cells in your eyes and won't mess up your night vision. Newer lamps are often in the 5000-6000K range, which is more of a "daylight" color that appears whiter because it contains more blue. This overwhelms your rod cells and makes you rely on the cone cells that normally only see use in daytime. Once the lights have passed, you'll find yourself blinded until your rod cells recover and restore your night vision. If the DOT was smart, they'd outlaw headlights over a certain color temperature and enforce the rule.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
As with most everything else on the highways today, there are issues about what is legal vs what is enforced! I see pickups with 20" led light bars running the highways all the time. Certainly these are sold as OFFROAD USE only, but I doubt they ever get pulled over here in MASS.

During rush hours here in the Boston area, I cannot even remember the last time I saw anyone pulled over at all, except for the SP protecting someone while changing a flat tire.

JaxDad wrote:
1320Fastback wrote:
Last I checked California is 6 uncovered clear lights facing foreward. Light bar counts as one.

I don't believe any jurisdiction in NA allows more than 4 lights facing forwards, that's why OEM foglights go out when when you put on the highbeams on a 4 lamp system.

As for auxiliary lights in California, they can only be mounted a maximum of 42" above the road, spotlights may be mounted higher, but can't shine to the left of the vehicle nor more than 300 feet down the road nor light up another vehicle nor be more than 30 watts incandescent equivalent.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
1320Fastback wrote:
Last I checked California is 6 uncovered clear lights facing foreward. Light bar counts as one.

I don't believe any jurisdiction in NA allows more than 4 lights facing forwards, that's why OEM foglights go out when when you put on the highbeams on a 4 lamp system.

As for auxiliary lights in California, they can only be mounted a maximum of 42" above the road, spotlights may be mounted higher, but can't shine to the left of the vehicle nor more than 300 feet down the road nor light up another vehicle nor be more than 30 watts incandescent equivalent.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
All headlights/fog lamps used on public roads must be DOT approved, the state has nothing to do with it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Songbirds wrote:
But here in Florida is A OK with as many head lights and fog lights you can burn at one time.

I think that is absolutely wrong. Especially for light bars that are clearly labeled "For off-road use only."

Unless you can back up your opinion about that dangerous and irresponsible behavior with a quote from a State statute, I suggest that giving out bad information is not a good thing to be doing.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
They are to bright for me also. Whether they be factory or added by owners as after market in older vehicles, especially LED's. Also some cowboys around here use the off road LED bars as added lights and 95% of the time do not shut them off when they met oncoming traffic.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
YOU are correct and the LAW says it's not a problem. So down here in Florida they will install a Light bar across your Hood, roof and between FOG lights and NOT a problem in Florida as many drivers here drive with FOG lights on. State of Florida could care less if oncoming traffic cannot see the road as long as the NUT Job with his or her new installed three 12-inch light bar is on a dusk. Now, something NEW is 18-wheelers running with side LEDS if you try and pass them on the right on a three-lane Highway they will flip it on and it's all OK, because they need to light when backing up. So I was thinking of putting them on my RV and my wife overruled me saying NO. But here in Florida is A OK with as many head lights and fog lights you can burn at one time.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Jfkmk said: "I don't think the troopers have as much an issue of you flashing a truck indicating it's safe to get back into the lane as flashing oncoming cars to warn of a radar trap."

That would make sense.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
My new truck won't let me keep my brights on during the day. It has sensors that won't turn on my yellow side lights until it is dark enough outside. I'm assuming this also controls the ability to leave my brights on.
2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FLS

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
RayJayco wrote:
jerseyjim wrote:
RayJayco: I might be wrong, but I seem to remember someone taking "flash your headlights" to court, and the court found flashing headlights came under "freedom of speech."

just thinkin'.....

Hey Jersey, you may be right as that is why I said that I wasn't sure if it is still a law, however I do know people that were ticketed some years ago.

In reality, it is dangerous.
Be safe!

I just drove from CA to TN in the motorhome. I've flashed truckers in every state between here and there. Some truckers will give me a flash signaling that it is ok to move back into the right lane after I pass them.

Many times, a trucker will flash his/her courtesy lights in appreciation for the headlight flash but some don't.

I've always wondered which states frown upon it but haven't investigated. I know in one instance that a trooper did see me flash a trucker to move over. I did check my mirrors to see if he was going to follow me but didn't (can't remember which state I was in).

I don't normally drive the motorhome at night so this is just a daytime event.

Safe travels,
MM.

MM,
I don't think the troopers have as much an issue of you flashing a truck indicating it's safe to get back into the lane as flashing oncoming cars to warn of a radar trap.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
RayJayco wrote:
jerseyjim wrote:
RayJayco: I might be wrong, but I seem to remember someone taking "flash your headlights" to court, and the court found flashing headlights came under "freedom of speech."

just thinkin'.....

Hey Jersey, you may be right as that is why I said that I wasn't sure if it is still a law, however I do know people that were ticketed some years ago.

Be safe!

I just drove from CA to TN in the motorhome. I've flashed truckers in every state between here and there. Some truckers will give me a flash signaling that it is ok to move back into the right lane after I pass them.

Many times, a trucker will flash his/her courtesy lights in appreciation for the headlight flash but some don't.

I've always wondered which states frown upon it but haven't investigated. I know in one instance that a trooper did see me flash a trucker to move over. I did check my mirrors to see if he was going to follow me but didn't (can't remember which state I was in).

I don't normally drive the motorhome at night so this is just a daytime event.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:

just thinkin'.....

Be safe!
Inquiring minds want to know...

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer

just thinkin'.....