cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which option would you choose? New 2018 vs used 2018?

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
First of all let me say that the two models are not the same. My wife and I are trying to decide between a used 2018 Winnebago vs a new 2018 Thor model that are very similar. The Winnebago costs a little more but seems to be slightly better (tank size, storage capacity, minor other differences). The dealer gave us a very good price on a new model hence the consideration, we weren't considering new at all due to depreciation, so the dealer basically said he'd take the hit on the price! We are trying to decide if we want the new warranty over the slightly better Winnebago that has a layout that we prefer slightly more. Either one would work for us, just trying to decide! What would you do?
20 REPLIES 20

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
nosebreaker wrote:
There are lots of used 2018's available, I'm looking nationwide.
Good for you! Don't limit yourself to your own area.

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
OH48Lt wrote:
My question is "why is a 2018 USED Winny available?" What's wrong with it? Perhaps the first owner bought it and a death or some such life-altering situation occurred, and the owner was no longer interested in owning it, and sold it back to the dealer cheap. Or, somebody bought it on time and didn't make a payment. Or, it had issues and the owner traded it for something else, Or it was in a flood. Or, or, or.....

I'd want to know why the dealer has the RV.

There are lots of used 2018's available, I'm looking nationwide.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a lover of rentals. People will disagree saying the fleet takes care of it's rentals. I say, they take care of what they find. It is what didn't completely break yet, or what the fleet didn't find, or found and fixed to sell that worries me. People who rent motor homes don't know how to drive them. They hit things all the time.

You did not mention the model of the Thor or Winnie. Knowing the specific model of each would help to provide a better opinion. As a general rule Winnebago is a much better choice than a Thor. But you heard that already X12. I personally would be looking on Craigslist for a one owner, relatively new-ish Winnebago or better, and pay for a thorough inspection.

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
Do your homework. I bought mine brand new and the my Minnie Winnie 22m was only like three grand more than the comparable Thor I walked into them back to back. It was an easy choice for the winnie. Just walking in you can tell quality is better

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
My question is "why is a 2018 USED Winny available?" What's wrong with it? Perhaps the first owner bought it and a death or some such life-altering situation occurred, and the owner was no longer interested in owning it, and sold it back to the dealer cheap. Or, somebody bought it on time and didn't make a payment. Or, it had issues and the owner traded it for something else, Or it was in a flood. Or, or, or.....

I'd want to know why the dealer has the RV.

Thor is out of the question.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
What is the mileage on the Winnie? Also what model & size are both? Any additional info you may want to give us. I'm a Winnebago fan. Dick

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow ok, I had no idea Thor was so disliked! If it helps, I believe the Winnebago's we are considering were all rentals and not owned by single person.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Go with the Winnebago.

Don't let the deep discount on the Thor mislead you. I can tell you from personal experience dealers will discount Thor mohos a lot more than other brands. The salesperson told me Thor products have a lot more markup in the MSRP so that's why dealers can offer a larger discount.

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely go with the Winnebago.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with previous posts. I love my Winnie and have had no problems in 4 years.
Also it seems the dealer is trying to unload that Thor.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone about the quality of Winnebago over Thor. But I would also be highly suspect of a Used 2018. People think that someone took care of all the problems on a Used coach but that is not necessarily the case. I bought a Used new rv once and had a lot of issues. The previous owner had just gotten rid of his problems. All the issues were expensive and not detectable with any type of inspections until certain conditions came up.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
As an aside, a dealer is not going to take a hit on the price. There will be an underlying reason for what he said.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
winnie and you should get a great deal, after all its used, and don,t worry about the chassis coach years, on rv,s thats normal.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
thor vs winnebago? surely you jest.
winny all the way.
bumpy