cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1200 miles from home & trouble

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
we are on the side of the road about 2 hours from flagstaff (I feel like I do not have to tell you about the motorhome been here so much) 2002 Monaco diplomat the slide with the couch and kitchen has a cover that wants to flap, it has been horrible winds I am now at wits end to keep the canvas from unrolling, I am at the point I wonder if I should cut the canvas off if you can help Wrinkles and I would genuinely love your help
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
15 REPLIES 15

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
seeing the sights wrote:
adjust the anti billow stop/arm so it can NOT do that any more

Bingo that is what mine did, the stop arm did not catch, its not a job you can do on the side of the road very easy..

seeing_the_sigh
Explorer
Explorer
adjust the anti billow stop/arm so it can NOT do that any more

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
sehunter wrote:
I don't understand a while ago you guys told me it is impossible for the topper to unfurl. Now you are giving him ways to secure it. You should have trusted me that it does happen and I would have left pictures up on how to stop this when it happens.

What were you going to do? Show a piece of angle bracket attached to the coach under the awning?

That is not needed. All you need to do is break the flow of wind getting under the rolled up awning. A piece of duct tape will do that

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand a while ago you guys told me it is impossible for the topper to unfurl. Now you are giving him ways to secure it. You should have trusted me that it does happen and I would have left pictures up on how to stop this when it happens.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can probably fix it your self once you get to Vegas it's just a small arm that screws on the roller tube so that when it starts to unroll in the wind the arm hits the side of the RV stopping the roller from turning
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
Thank all of you again, my first try was zip ties that was a no go. the slide was closed and we were on a side street going about 45 miles per hour the first time it happened. it has been windy from Oklahoma, finally made it to kingman the duct tape was the biggest help when we get to las vegas mobile repair guy is on the list does anyone know of a honest mobile repair and also knows his awning fixes. while on the side of the road the wind was so bad it rocked the motorhome. thank you all for your help I had tried everything but duct tape until you all gave me the good advice. again thank you everything else has been aces until this happened hope I can help someone in the future as much as you all have helped me. by the way there was wind advisory nearly all the way were are leaving now at 9:30 eastern time because another wind advisory starts in about three hours thanks for your help you saved my bacon
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who is always going on the roof to duct tape his when this happens.
Brian

MrWizard
it dark and its late, hope you made it ok

i think i would try many strips of ductape from the roof over the rolled up slide cover onto the side of the slide out

then get to a shop or mobile repair
to tighten the roller springs, and adjust the anti billow stop/arm so it can NOT do that any more
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
devildog1971 wrote:
we are on the side of the road about 2 hours from flagstaff (I feel like I do not have to tell you about the motorhome been here so much) 2002 Monaco diplomat the slide with the couch and kitchen has a cover that wants to flap, it has been horrible winds I am now at wits end to keep the canvas from unrolling, I am at the point I wonder if I should cut the canvas off if you can help Wrinkles and I would genuinely love your help

Depending on how yours is designed, "duct tape" has been suggested and, I've used it more than a few times on "billowing" slide toppers and awnings. All I've done in the past is, take some alcohol and prep the area(s) where the duct tape will be applied. That includes any end caps or potential areas of the side walls and maybe some of the close sections of the roof too.

I just wrapped the end caps and then taped it to the side walls and or roof for maybe a foot or so. The plan is, if that slide topper can't BEGIN to un-roll, it won't billow. And, if needed, use multiple layers of that duct tape, depending on the quality of the duct tape used.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Can't you pull the slide in until the winds die down?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Roll of duct tape. Cut strips and place them so they break up the wind getting under the roller. Been there done that. You cut the fabric, now you are in deep doo

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’m so sorry for your troubles.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
devildog1971 wrote:
Time for action since snow is expected in Flagstaff.

Can you use ropes to secure it?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If the slide is closed tie a rope around the entire coach. If it is open tie a rope from one side of the slide, over the cover, and back on the other side of the slide. Tie it down with bunge's to keep it taut.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)