cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is a Mercedes a good engine for a DP?

donnyB7
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a DP with a 400 HP MBE engine. Not sure I have seen a DP that didn't have a Cummins engine. Is the MBE a good one? Are there any strange quirks with it?
19 REPLIES 19

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
moisheh wrote:
JAX: I do not nor have I ever been in the business of selling RV's.

Moisheh

I never said you were โ€˜in the businessโ€™ of doing it, but in a post a few years back about importing US units into Canada you commented;

โ€œI would gladly help as over the years I have imported: Cars, Class 5 trucks and many RV's.โ€

Then just a year ago you said โ€œI have sold all my units in Canada. They were all originally US units. All private sales.โ€

So by your own admission you have imported โ€˜manyโ€™ RVโ€™s and then sold them. Business or personal doesnโ€™t change the facts or the legalities of it.

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad the MBE4000 and the DD13 are TOTALY different engines. The 4000 has 6 individual heads, camshaft in the block. 6 electronic unit pumps with a line going to the injectors. the DD13 and the larger DD15 have a single cylinder head with double overhead cams and a common rail high pressure fuel system and electronic injectors in the head. the early MBEs had a lot of fuel line breakage problems that was for the most part solved with new fuel line with dampeners and new tightening procedures, they also had up to the last units built quite a lot of head gasket problems and block erosion under the heads and liner sealing issues. this engine is expensive to repair and parts are getting harder to find, the last production was 2009 so IMHO this is a buyer beware issue

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
WRONG: Detroitspent more than 4 years developing the DD series. It is an entirely new engine designed by DMB in the USA, Japan and Germany. Development costs were around 1 Billion dollars. It was designed to meet today's emission standards where as many other engines were modified to be emission correct. The DD13,15 and 16 are amazing. I have driven OTR trucks with all 3 power plants. They are amazing. Too bad they are not used in MH's. The DD16 is the most powerful truck I have ever driven but a pig on fuel. The DD13 gives good fuel mileage. None of these engines resemble the MBE engine. They are built in Japan, Germany and the USA. I was at the Fleetwood factory when the MBE engine was being used. They were so bad that FW had a bunch of chassis outside waiting to be delivered to FL so the engine could be changed to a Cummins. Almost as bad as the Navistar fiasco! But 3ven Cummins has had their share of problems. Bad blocks, wrist pin trouble and horrible EGR systems. Fortunately not many RV'rs encounter those problems. But they do exist. JAX: I do not nor have I ever been in the business of selling RV's.

Moisheh

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m not an kargumentative guyโ€™ but when I do disagree, itโ€™s because I have facts to back up my statements and donโ€™t base my position on โ€˜but everyone else is doing itโ€™. Speaking of twisted logic, are you still selling illegal US imported motor homes in Manitoba and refusing to acknowledge the posted citations to the law?

What I had meant to say earlier was that you couldnโ€™t get a new 5.9 ISB, they changed it to make some improvements and to meet newer tougher emissions.

The MBE series was the same, they made improvements and changes to meet newer emission standards and itโ€™s now a DD13.

If you actually read about the problems that occurred with the MBE 4000 engines you will find that very few are anything but errors made by mechanics and drivers. Make no mistake, this was NOT a โ€˜newโ€™ engine when it was new to North America, it had been around in Europe and elsewhere for a very long time and was well liked and had an excellent reputation.

But just like anything else itโ€™s the unhappy folks that make posts not the very pleased ones, but even then in the threads where people are slamming the engine there are the people that pop up saying they have lots of them and have run them for a long time trouble free.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
But Jax is an argumentative guy who never gives up. Twisted logic.

Moisheh

Bruce_Brown
^^^ Not accurate. The Cummins ISB is alive and well. Today's generation is a 6.7L, but it's still an ISB.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
They didnโ€™t just make MBEโ€™s for just one year, nobody said they still make them either.

You canโ€™t buy a brand new vehicle with an ISB in it either. In fact, by that logic, an ISB must have been a bad design.... they stopped making them! LOL.

I see people who could break an anvil with a rubber hammer, does that mean those anvils are poorly made?

As a mechanic friend of mine likes to say, often times stuff that breaks is due to a mechanic defect, a โ€œloose nut behind the wheelโ€.

Of course people are lined up to take perfectly good working engines to repair shops. LMAO.

Oh wait, maybe repair shops only see broken trucks, that must mean that 100% of trucks that show up at repair shops are poorly built?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
JB Hunt would have had trouble ordering more as FL stopped putting the MNE engine in over the road trucks. ASk any repair shop and they will tell you they are piece of..... But if you want to listen to the few supporting posts go ahead at your own risk. make sure they deduct at least $10,000 to cover repairs. BTW: The model installed in RV's does not meet emission standards. Maybe you should ask the supporters why so few MBE's were ever used in RV's??

Moisheh

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
The one engine no one brought up here is the Navistar engine that was supposed to meet emissions without the DEF...Monaco/Hr used them when Navistar got them at the bankruptcy for a couple of years before it was discovered that the engine did not meet the standards. Navistar then bailed out of the Motorhome business by selling it to ARG which is now REV group and that was the end of the roadmaster chassis and some people had issues with them. Now there was a real Edsel of an engine which not only is harder to find a qualified service center if you have one, but if you are trying to sell one , the minute people find out it is not a Cummins run for the hills. Now there's a unit to run from, and I feel for the many people that got one from 2012 to 2014...when the info was discovered, Navistar went back to Cummins but at that point this Titanic had already hit the iceberg.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have an MBE engine in an older Freightliner straight truck, itโ€™s a single axle with 10 speed.

Itโ€™s been flawless for 800k and itโ€™s probav one of if not the best in its class for this type of application. It has a very flat power band from 1,000 to 2,000 rpm and the exhaust braking system is outstanding. Itโ€™s nearly silent and far more powerful than a Jacobs system since itโ€™s actually designed right into the construction of the engine (a 5th valve in each head) and the turbo (a special sliding ring valve). It can be used in any residential area where you canโ€™t use a Jake because of the noise.

When they first came out people like J.B. Hunt bought thousands of them, when it was time to replace them they bought more of them. That tells me the unreliability stories and lack popularity issues are another โ€˜Ford Pintoโ€™ story.

UCLA law professor Gary T. Schwartz, in a Rutgers Law Review article, studied the fatality rates of the Pinto and several other small cars of the time period. He concluded that the Pinto was approximately even with the AMC Gremlin, Chevrolet Vega, and Datsun 510. It was significantly better than the Datsun 1200/210, Toyota Corolla and VW Beetle.

So donโ€™t drive an MBE engined MH through the woods to Grandmas house, the big bad wolf will eat you!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Well there you have it - Combines, OTR trucks, Super C Motorhomes, and even a Ferry! With some stretch of the imagination I'm sure you can find something in common with a DP beyond the fact they all use diesel fuel
๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
The old series 60 Detroit was probably one of the best engines and always thought that this version was still being produced by MB and since Detroit Diesel is now owned by German Daimler AG for over the road applications.
Most sure it's more complicated than that and with how much of the old Detroit is incorporated into the modern MB line.
There's still a lot of Detroit's running around out there in some of the higher end Motorhomes, so......
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an idea. Find a unit you like (cheap) and re-engine it. Probably need the transmission along with it.

Along with that, remodel to suit you.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The biggest combine made is a Lexion 780. Its little brother is the 760. The only difference from one machine to the other is the engine. The smaller machine uses a Cat C13 (12.5 liter) engine and the larger machine uses a Mercedes 473 (15.6 liter engine). In North America the Cat powered machine is more popular but the Mercedes is more fuel efficient. I don't think one is more reliable than the other but in NA people feel more confident running the Cat.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5