cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery

camp104
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Bounder. When I am hooked up to shore power or running the generator.both the house and engine battery is charging. Well today only the house batteries are charging and not the engine battery? Has anyone experienced this?
11 REPLIES 11

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The most common failure for your problem is the isolator relay in the Battery Control Center. Silver relay behind the circuit board. Fleetwood has had this system since the mid 90s. It took the rest of the RV world a long time to catch up.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
camp104 wrote:
I have a 2005 Bounder. When I am hooked up to shore power or running the generator.both the house and engine battery is charging. Well today only the house batteries are charging and not the engine battery? Has anyone experienced this?

If your rig charges both, it's by having a relay that opens and closes depending on battery voltage. In your case, it initially charges the house batteries and until which time they are fully charged, then charges the chassis batteries. If the house batteries have a problem for instance and won't come up to specs. then it's not about to switch over to the chassis. Just one possible scenario, of course.
With the engine's alternator, it works just the opposite, but can usually get house power immediately.
So, what is the voltage on your chassis and house batteries at present?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
camp104 wrote:
Well today only the house batteries are charging and not the engine battery? Has anyone experienced this?

Odd how "new" subjects seem to come up from 3 different people all at the same time out of the blue. This is the second one in 3 days; one more will probably show up soon.

Most likely culprit: The "battery" solenoid.....or loose or corroded wires. Any competent RV service shop should be able to diagnose and fix relatively inexpensively. I've had 2 done; about $100 each.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

tippytoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some threads that might help:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29590019/gotomsg/29590042.cfm#29590042

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29528185/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

This one has a link to the "BCC" battery control board pdf. (5th post)

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/bcc-and-adding-another-solenoid-question-323934.html

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
camp104 wrote:

The RVโ€™s house battery charger ONLY charges the house battery on every coach I have ever seen. If your engine/chassis battery was also being charged I must assume there was an additional battery charger for it. You might start looking around for a small auxiliary trickle charger somewhere.

I've owned two Winnebago, Two Fleetwood, and one Newmar motorhome. All five charged both battery banks (house, engine) when plugged in or running the genset.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œor running the generator.โ€

We who are next to you and โ€œrunningโ€ our solar system at FULL max without ANY noise thank you. Glad to hear all your La Canada neighbors like the sound of your generator.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
camp104 wrote:
I bought this Bounder new and it has always charged all the batteries including the engine battery when hooked to shore power or if I run the gen.
One method is to use a control module to activate the emergency start solenoid. So the module and/or the solenoid and related circuitry could have failed.

There could also be a separate module that is involved and connects the two banks for charging.

It's also common for the charger to charge only the house battery and for the ignition circuitry to activate the emergency start solenoid to charge both banks.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
camp104 wrote:
I bought this Bounder new and it has always charged all the batteries including the engine battery when hooked to shore power or if I run the gen.

Maybe the isolator went bad and you were back feeding the battery in the engine bay.
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
In the battery control center there could be a BIRD relay circuit that has failed. Fuse?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

camp104
Explorer
Explorer

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
camp104 wrote:

The RVโ€™s house battery charger ONLY charges the house battery on every coach I have ever seen. If your engine/chassis battery was also being charged I must assume there was an additional battery charger for it. You might start looking around for a small auxiliary trickle charger somewhere.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad