cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadtrek 190 Polpular Tire

HighwayPilot
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All, I just purchased a 1991 Roadtrek 190 Popular. need to change tires (Dry rot). Im being offered the Michelin LTX tires, the salesman states these are not truck tires (not 10 ply).
Do I need 10 ply?

What are you guys and gals riding on?

Thanks for all the help
Virgil, May & Fred (the yellow Lab) ๐Ÿ™‚
12 REPLIES 12

HighwayPilot
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I took MDKMDK advice and looked for the sticker stating what the recommended tires are, it states P235/75R15XL, after doing some research, I installed the Firestone Destination tires. Website states they are LT/XL tires. Offers a comfortable ride, so far.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 ply, 6 ply, 8 ply, 10 ply mean nothing now, that ply rating nonsense is about all tires having cotton cords. Modern tires are now 1, 2 or at most 3 ply, using synthetics (polyester, rayon, nylon, aramid fibers). The measurement standard has changed to Load Range. For LT tires, it is Load Range D or Load Range E. Load Range E is the heaviest tire with LT designation. Michelin's LTX tires are available to Load Range E in 16 inch wheel sizes, with AT and MS tread patterns.

Bridgestone/Firestone, Goodyear, Cooper, Michelin/BF Goodrich/Uniroyal all offer adequate LR-E tires with polyester or steel bodies, steel belts, and a variety of tread designs (rib, highway, all-season, all-terrain, even some winter treads). Most Class C motorhome chassis, and all E-450 from Ford, are delivered today with Michelin LTX MS/2 tires, Load Range E. While there are tougher good weather highway tires around (Michelin XPS, Bridgestone R-250) the LTX is adequate and a good all season compromise.

Without getting into subsidiary brands from the majors, Korean brands, or Chinese imports, there are a lot of LT tires meeting your needs. I think you are being jerked around by a tire salesman who doesn't have in stock what you need, or what gives him the best commission.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 4 Nexen Roadian /AT2 LT 235/75R15 at Walmart in 2014 and am very happy with them. If I remember right they cost about $110.00 each.
I have had Dunlop and Goodyear before but like the Nexen's much better. No problem with sway in high winds. My van is about 6500 lbs.

1990 L.E.R. Dodge B 250 Class B 17'

HighwayPilot
Explorer
Explorer
It has 15" rims now.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2007 Roadtrek 210P came with Bridgestone VSteel tires and I replaced them with the same thing. They have worked well for me but they are now to the age (7 years) where I am thinking about replacing them. No cracks and a lot of tread left but the age is creeping up on them. I will follow this thread carefully to check out alternatives. This RT has mostly been stored inside in a heated and air conditioned environment so tires really last well, but still I am not too comfortable with them at some point this year....probably before we take a long trip.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
Has it got 15" tires on it now.

1990 L.E.R. Dodge B 250 Class B 17'

jakegw2
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my Ford e250 based Pleasureway Traverse for 10 years or so now. Last year, for the first time, I splurged and bought the Michelin LTX tires instead of the cheaper Firestone. Hands down it was the best upgrade I have ever done on the van. It drives like a different vehicle - quieter, far more stable on the highway and in crosswind situations, better winter performance (not a winter tire though). Highly recommended.

qhor
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the XPS rib as well. Now using the Bridgestone R250.
Very similar highly rated tire with similar construction and tread, however less expensive and North American made!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œthe salesman states...โ€

Always a โ€œcautionโ€ sign for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 michilin is about the best out there. they,ll serve you well.

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
We use, and quite like, Michelin XPS Ribs. A bit pricey, but oh what a difference.

Cheers.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
A) What does it say on the vehicle weights and measures sticker or plate, wherever that is located? Usually has the tire designation, including P for passenger, and LT for light truck.
B) Check the owner's manual for the same info.
C) My 2002 190P on the Chevy chassis liked to wear LT245 75R16 Load Range E. It weighed around 4 + tons loaded.

Unless there's a pressing reason to put passenger tires on it, I'd go with the light truck tires.

EDIT: I have used Michelin LTX AT2 and MS2 models on mine. Preferred the AT2 for the more aggressive tread design.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)