cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoking Pellets Question

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a Premium Pellet Smoker Tube for our rv travels. It's takes up very little space and I can use it on my Weber Q or grill for my DO and other culinary quests.

Now for the question. Do you have a recommendation for a good quality smoking pellet brand? I want something that doesn't have fillers.

This one intrigues me but I've never used one based on mash before.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HKWLV6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

SuperDave, any thoughts?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
9 REPLIES 9

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
All pellets are not created equally. The bag will state 100% hardwood, but there actually 60% filler woods like alder or oak, and 40% flavor wood. Technically, they are 100% hardwood, but a little deceiving.

Cooking pellets and lumberjack (I'm sure there's more) offer 100% flavor wood pellets. If the bag says hickory, it 100% hickory. Definitely makes a difference in smoke flavor.

I use about a 1/2 ton of pellets a yr, and I've tried many brands. I really like CP, and lumberjack.

mkisamore
Explorer
Explorer
bbqers delight lots of choices

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve tried 10 ways to Sunday to post a pic on this site and canโ€™t get it to show.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone! SuperDave, I couldn't pull up that Maze test link but I'll do a search and see if I can't find it somewhere.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Cash & Carry handy buy their pellets. Been using them for years with my smoke tube, no problems. Pretty cheap at 10 bucks a bag

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
I have a Trager and get my pellets at Wal-Mart, brand is B&B. They have worked great and have good flavor.

Hard to compare pellets used in a fan driven smoker with a heat source and a passive smoke tube.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Trager and get my pellets at Wal-Mart, brand is B&B. They have worked great and have good flavor.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Maze Test

This is a test that I performed with pellets vs. sawdust. The pellets went out before burning very far. The sawdust burned all the way across and lasted about 1 1/2 hours.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I have a lot more success with sawdust than pellets but others report the opposite of what I experience. When I try to do a pellet & sawdust combo, I put a hand full of pellets in a ziplock baggie and smack it several times with a mallet to break them up a bit. I use Green Mountain pellets and much prefer them to Traeger pellets. The first thing that I recommend that you do when you get your items is to do a dry test to see if it will stay lit. Use a small plumbers propane torch to light your fuel. I keep the torch on it for a good minute or more and then lightly blow on it like a punk until you see a solid cherry glow.