Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Australian Long Term Caravanning

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes very different too what you experience in the US
Life in the slow lane
Thinking of becoming a full-time caravanner? Read this first…
‘Oh how time flies’…
Never has an adage been so true! It’s almost three years since I looked in the rear view mirror to see the real estate sign on the front lawn of what was once our house plastered with ‘SOLD”, then disappear in the distance as we headed towards…..well, who knows where?

The author's rig heading into some bleak weather
My wife and I had just joined the many nomadic folk that have opted for a life of mobility, free camping and one without the hassle of power bills, council rates and seemingly endless maintenance around the house.
We both were already spending up to nine months of the year in our camper trailer, so coming back to a dusty house was becoming more unappealing as time passed.
Long-term storage dilemma
15 REPLIES 15

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
arkie guide wrote:
I have often though of an Isuzu as a tow truck. Tell us how it performs, and would it do for freeway speeds. Enjoy Australia I have been there and enjoyed it.Good luck.

Easily do freeway speeds. 70mph. Problem would be ride. I notice people are buying them for their considerable payload. Good on dirt roads. Need a special hitch so your Travel Trailer is not pulverised by the Trucks suspension
Older F150’s in Australia, some still around alongside a flatbed Car/ Truck Ute. That basically replaced them

arkie_guide
Explorer
Explorer
I have often though of an Isuzu as a tow truck. Tell us how it performs, and would it do for freeway speeds. Enjoy Australia I have been there and enjoyed it.Good luck.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
We spent 3 weeks in Australia and only saw about 3 full size pickups... it was September so most of the Caravan parks on the Great Ocean Road weren't open yet or were pretty much vacant.

You would be LOOKING VERY HARD last F150 DIED OUT in 1992. Last F250-F350’s mostly diesels in 2007 as available from the manufacturer.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
We spent 3 weeks in Australia and only saw about 3 full size pickups... it was September so most of the Caravan parks on the Great Ocean Road weren't open yet or were pretty much vacant.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
In the Northern Territory, we hit a highway with a single lane of pavement, called bitumen there. If it's just a car or a ute (pick up) we would pull over and keep a two wheels on the pavement, facing a truck it was onto the gravel.
Adventure before dementia

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
High adventure but not my cup of tea. Bravo to the folk who enjoy it.

Of course some folk would say the same for canoeing for days each year in the wilderness areas with your pre-school grandkids. I loved it.

We all have our goals and achieving some of them is the spice of life.

Safe travels
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
Cool looking truck, why the oversized load banners on the truck and RV? It would seem that combo is not very big especially when you see many of us pulling 42' fifth wheels with 1 ton trucks

On a side not I'd love to travel Australlia in an RV. Thanks for posting.

Too warn people on a narrow dirt they will get a Light Truck and Caravan, not just a SUV. Some dirt roads are narrow.bit different if you are travelling on a paved highway would not need sign.
The combo is not much smaller than your 1 ton and 5th Wheeler Unusual combination but becoming more common as Truck is indestructible, fairly cheap and can carry a considerable payload. Interesting he is using a 10yr old Caravan as well too cut costs
An ancient 32ft Thor being pulled by an equally ancient Isuzu

best image hosting service

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

So what is "very different"?

Where do we start.Most of the roads are graded dirt roads, not pavement, Where have you seen an Isuzu MDT flatbed truck too you, but light Truck too us, towing a travel trailer over in their case of the couple 30,000 miles over dirt roads? I would guess he would do 10,000 miles a year in the Outback

Might want to start with that next time before stating it's different.

But no not really that different. Lots of dirt roads available in the USA if that's your thing and people do it.

In the full time community, towing with MDT trucks isn't that unusual.

We were they are towing there are no non dirt roads. They would be not racking up 30,000 miles towing a Travel Trailer in the US on dirt roads....really :@
It is not a MDT here.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Cool looking truck, why the oversized load banners on the truck and RV? It would seem that combo is not very big especially when you see many of us pulling 42' fifth wheels with 1 ton trucks

On a side not I'd love to travel Australlia in an RV. Thanks for posting.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

Where do we start.Most of the roads are graded dirt roads, not pavement, Where have you seen an Isuzu MDT flatbed truck too you, but light Truck too us, towing a travel trailer over in their case of the couple 30,000 miles over dirt roads? I would guess he would do 10,000 miles a year in the Outback

Might want to start with that next time before stating it's different.

But no not really that different. Lots of dirt roads available in the USA if that's your thing and people do it.

In the full time community, towing with MDT trucks isn't that unusual.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Editing tools have gone haywire on this site. Story is about a Couple who sold up and are travelling Australia with a 2008 Caravan and pulled by 6 tonne(13,000lb) Light Truck GCVWR of 20,000lb. As they are on a very tight budget, they found the fittings inside the Caravan had to be upgraded. No problems with Truck or 10yr old Caravan
On the four-metre tray of our Isuzu truck we fitted large lockable toolboxes, which hold cameras, metal detectors, and tools for servicing the truck, van and two-man buggy sitting across its rear. Not to mention oils, filters and other spare parts that are hard to get at a moment’s notice when Outback.

Fridge and freezer space inside the Regal was insufficient for our long-term remote travel plans, especially when we had to be careful with our budget and wanted to shop up big in the specials section of large supermarkets whenever we got close to a major town.
Pros and cons of long-term vanning
So rolling on, what are the positives and negatives? The pros are many, especially if you enjoy the freedom from the humdrum of city life. The cons are just as many... if not more.
The main issues relate to the caravan. I was very happy with the build of it but like many caravans the quality of components are chosen for occasional holiday use, not full-time living.
Although the queen-sized mattress was relatively new when we bought the caravan, within a year the inner springs were sagging and causing an old back injury to flare up, resulting in terrible sleep.
We purchased a new, slightly heavier double-sided latex mattress from a caravan mattress manufacturer that supplies the top end of the market in Queensland. However, within eight months the new mattress was starting to sag, so I contacted the manufacturer, who told me I should be turning the mattress every three months. Pity they didn’t tell me that first up!
I had them pull the mattress apart and repair it and at this stage turning the mattress quarterly is doing the job. But if it was a one-sided latex model this wouldn't be possible. The moral of the story is to get a double-sided mattress or a home quality mattress built.
Our old ‘hand me down’ Posturepedic Sleepmaker mattress is 23 years old and still hasn’t sagged and has never been turned over. I guess it’s hard to get quality these days.
Carry lots of spares
The van’s hardware is also struggling to keep up with the stresses of full time use. Drawer catches wear out and gas struts on overhead cupboards weaken prematurely. Other than sourcing better quality hardware prior to ordering a new van, you’ll be stuck with what you get when buying a second hand model.
We now make sure we carry plenty of spare drawer catches – I’ve replaced six to date!
I could go on forever about repairs and general maintenance but reading my spare parts list below will give you an idea of what’s in store when you go nomad…
A tube or two of outdoor roof and gutter sealant. Caravans are subject to twisting and racking and eventually the manufacturers sealants fail… and a leaking caravan is a nightmare.