cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need more propane for longer stay in one spot.

Eyeland
Explorer
Explorer
Advise I will be heading up to the cold country for 2 months. Can't unhook and go find prop. I heard of extend a Stay connector that is used to hook to spare prop tank. Is that the only way to go or is another option out there? We will be in Glacier NP.
15 REPLIES 15

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
We spent two winters here in Billings before we settled down.
The first one was in a Class A motorhome, with a 100 pound propane cylinder. Back then, I was young enough that hauling that thing to the propane supplier once a week or so was acceptable.
The second one was in a fifth wheel, with a 100 GALLON tank delivered, hooked up, and kept full by a local propane distributor. That was great! No muss, no fuss, just check the gauge now and then and call when it gets low.
I still have that tank, hooked to the house for the kitchen range.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

C20
Explorer
Explorer
We wintered in ours and used a 100# cylinder a week in the dead of winter. Did the extend a stay and every Monday I went and got another cylinder. Kept us warm and toasty, nothing froze and no problems.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Alaska last April and saw a number of rigs hooked up to 100# bottles by the local propane dealer. Just a phone call was needed and they delivered the tank, hose and necessary fittings, and hooked it all up. Removal was just as easy. Although I use a setup similar to the "Extend-A-Stay", it is not the same. I created mine out of common brass parts available at a local hardware store because the "Extend-A-Stay" contains a flow limiter in their piece. When both my furnaces and a hot water heater would run together, my gas flow would shut down. By building my own setup I had no problems. Also, be advised some 20 and 30 pound cylinders also have internal flow limiters that will shut off gas under "all appliances running" conditions. The design of the OPD valve in some cases causes this to happen. The engineers at Manchester Tank directed me to tanks with the correct valves, and I've had no problems with 20# tanks I use in 8 years.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are 4 options.
1: Go get more (But you said you can not)

2: The "Extend-a-stay" (No longer made but there is a replacement, MOST RV stores will know what it is) is a very good way to hook in an external tank. It is what I do when I need to use an external tank.

3: A Propane installer can close off your on-board tank and hook you to an external tank or Tanks. for long term parking. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS.

4: IN SOME places. ... I was "Stuck" in Georgia unable to move, for like 3 years. Of course I needed propane. Turns out the local Propane service delivers to RV parks and Motor homes. NOTE NOT LEGAL IN ALL STATES. SO contact the local Propane services, or better yet the park and see who delivers THEIR propane and see if they deliver to motor homes.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
dalenoel wrote:
Long term parks we have stayed at will have a local propane dealer who will come out to the park and fill the motorhome.

X2

THIS would be the most convenient.
And maybe the least expensive too in total.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
How are you able to stay two months inside a National Park? I thought they limited stays to two weeks? Are you an employee, work camping? Just curious.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Last spring we returned to Indiana early so I could have back surgery. Not wanting to move the rig to fill with propane, DH ordered an extend-a-stay from Amazon and installed it himself. Once in Indy, we bought a 30 lb cylinder and ran off that for gas stove and heat. We had to refill it a couple times. . . so much easier than moving the rig which at that point I could not help with. We stayed like that for almost 3 months. Worked like a charm.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
dalenoel wrote:
Long term parks we have stayed at will have a local propane dealer who will come out to the park and fill the motorhome.

X2
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Eyeland wrote:
Advise I will be heading up to the cold country for 2 months. Can't unhook and go find prop. I heard of extend a Stay connector that is used to hook to spare prop tank. Is that the only way to go or is another option out there? We will be in Glacier NP.

We've been to Glacier NP during the Winter and found that we only had access to the East or West sides. The Going to the Sun road, which is the main highway through the NP, was only partially open so that we could not drive through the park. If we wanted to go to the other side of the NP, we had to drive around the park, rather than through it.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
For winters on my home base site I have an external 150 gallon tank that I borrowed from my nephew. I hook it straight to the RV bypassing the onboard regulator. I did have the regulator on this large tank checked for proper pressure before I started using it. The local propane company fills it when needed and I just got 81 gallons a couple of weeks ago. If you don't own a large tank you can rent one from most propane suppliers for not a lot.

This is my 8th year full time.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
In YELL NP the local prop guy brings out a #100 (I think, big anyway) tank and hooks you up...running 20 or 30's gets old and $$. Call and ask.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Extend-A-Stay is designed for exactly your situation. Just buy a couple 30 or 40 lb cylinders to hook up and your good to go. When we're on longer term sites, we start out with the onboard LP tank full, and run off just the portable cylinders for the most part. If we happen to let both cylinders go dry, we can always switch to the main tank temporarily while we're getting the others refilled.

BTW, you might want to edit your profile to reflect your current Class A instead of your previous 5'ver. Putting that info in your signature can also be helpful when asking for related assistance or information.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
If your running your onboard furnace you have to tap in somehow, why not do it that way?