cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about a Dometic thermastat

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
So I have yet to run our heater in our new (bought last Saturday) but after looking at the thermostat it appears there is no way to adjust the temp?

I'm new to RVing so I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be seeing as far at temp control?

There doesn't appear to be any way to adjust it, like the lever is broken???

the little black lever seems to be stuck to the thermostat, as in it won't move at all. I feel if I force it I will snap it off.

Does this look correct or should there be more to the thermostat.

Sorry for the 20q's just trying to make as few mistakes and learn as much as I can.

thank you in advance for your help.
18 REPLIES 18

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
brmiller wrote:
I ended up going by Walmart and getting the $15 thermostat

put it in and it works great!

SoundGuy wrote:
That's great :B ... but I'm thinking that for just $15 this particular model doesn't have a back lit screen? :@ That's one of the great features of the RTH5100B I'm using ... more $$ but at least I can see the darned thing. :W

brmiller wrote:
it is backlit but only when you make an adjustment to the temp. which I good since this is a front bed trailer and the green would be lighting up the interior at night.

SoundGuy wrote:
Great ... what model? - so others will know what to look for. 🙂

Interesting ... it would seem what you bought is a Honeywell RTH111B1016/U but in the reviews it says this model does not have a back lit display. Just wondering?? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
brmiller wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:
That's great :B ... but I'm thinking that for just $15 this particular model doesn't have a back lit screen? :@ That's one of the great features of the RTH5100B I'm using ... more $$ but at least I can see the darned thing. :W

brmiller wrote:
it is backlit but only when you make an adjustment to the temp. which I good since this is a front bed trailer and the green would be lighting up the interior at night.

Great ... what model? - so others will know what to look for. 🙂

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
brmiller wrote:

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
brmiller wrote:

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
:B
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer

Thank you for all the help, tips and suggestions.

treyster
Explorer
Explorer
I posted a thread about the exact same problem on our new tt last spring. The arm was stuck and wouldn't move. I eventually figured out if I pulled it forward a little while trying to slide it, it freed up.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing anyone can do with those Dometic thermostats is remove it and throw it as far as you can into a canyon where nobody else can get to it. Those things have been put into trailers for many years and are as cheap as they come. They are very inaccurate. There is a heat anticipator calibration dial inside that will help. The best guess is to move the arm to about half scale then temperature swings will not be as great.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome!

I picked one up on the way in to work and will be installing it later tonight.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
brmiller wrote:
so even though this is a heat only thermostat (since we have a window style unit for AC) I can use an off the shelf digital thermo?

if so that's cool. I would rather have digital.

Sure. The A/C in my Coachmen is direct blow with it's own controls so the stock bi-metal thermostat controlled just the furnace. I replaced it with this non-programmable Honeywell RTH5100B digital thermostat which controls temperature swing much better. I like this one in particular because it has a back lit screen that lights up anytime I push a button, making it quite easy to see. :B

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely. My last two TT's had heat only thermostats. One of the first things I did was replace the OEM thermostat with a residential Honeywell digital thermostat.

My current Jayco 23RB has the combined A/C and Heat, so this time I sprang for a digital model of the same type thermostat, even though it was a lot more expensive. I wanted one that would match wire for wire.

brmiller wrote:
so even though this is a heat only thermostat (since we have a window style unit for AC) I can use an off the shelf digital thermo?

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the little plastic lever towards very slightly to release it from its "locked" position and adjust temperature to your liking.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
brmiller wrote:

Yes, I have controls on my ceiling AC , I installed a digital for furnace even though it has cooling function, just not used. Only 2 wires to hook it up. Only problem I’ve had is if it’s below 32 inside it reads LO on the screen and won’t turn furnace on, 10 seconds with a hair dryer and turns furnace on.

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer