cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route 138 in Oregon

gamma3116
Explorer
Explorer
Hello every one I would like to know if route 138 is a good road for my 5th wheel, 39FT long. I will be up in Sisters,Oregon and then I will be going to Canyonville. I want to use hwy 97 South to "route 138" which will take me to Roseburg then take I-5 South to Canyonville. Thank You for your help.

2. Can any one tell me how many miles route 138 is from hyw 97 to I-5 at Roseburg. Thanks for all who responded
6 REPLIES 6

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
138 is a gorgeous drive from the Crater Lake turnoff for about 20 miles. From 97 west it's a long straight climb to the Crater Lake turnoff. Then it's a nice semi curvy scenic drive until you get closer to Roseburg then it's just some brown rolling hills. I've driven, towed and ridden my MC's over that hwy many times. Done hwy 58 too many times to count. I prefer 138. Check the weather before you go this time of year.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
3X on Rt 138 & the short hikes to waterfalls. There is also Susan Creek BLM Campground - dry camping, but hot showers. Here is a link to some waterfall photos I took last October.

My Favorite - Whitehorse Falls:

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I think 58 and I5 would be a better choice. From south of Eugene where 58 hits I5 your only about an hour south to Roseburg.

I respectively disagree. Why go 75 miles south to turn and go NW to I-5? If the OP wants to head to I-5 then south it would be to his advantage just to stay on OR 126 into Eugene/Springfield then south. This is only 20 miles or less to the OR 58/I-5 junction, doesn't have the long downgrade of the Willamette Pass and the road is just as good but does have several small towns to slow for.

To the OP I feel it is about a toss up either way you go. But then I'll drive out of my way to avoid a freeway, but unfortunately US 97 is just about one.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I going to Eugene from Sisters I'd think 20 and 126 would be more direct than 97 and 58.

To Roseburg, Google maps gives 126 as shortest and fastest, 138 a bit longer, 58 longer still.

From the east the 59 pass is easiest - a barely noticeable climb from 97

138 has a long straight grade from 97 to the Crater Lake entrance. I believe this is the highest paved pass in the state. But it's not a hard grade. As mentioned, 138 has a number of nice waterfalls.

58 also has at least one good waterfall, and a covered bridge at Oakridge.

I think the west bound downgrade is similar in all 3 routes.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I think 58 and I5 would be a better choice. From south of Eugene where 58 hits I5 your only about an hour south to Roseburg.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven 138 in the Journey towing the Cherokee. I chose that route to visit several waterfalls along the route. If you have the time, stop and hike in to some of the waterfalls.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog