cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

extra propane capacity

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone I have a 22M Minnie winnie that I absolutely love. The only issue I run into is on extended stays you can start using up a lot of propane. Between the heater and water heater, we go through it pretty quick. I have been doing some research on the adapters to utilize an additional tank(like a bbq tank) in case you run out. Are these safe to run. If so can you please recommend a particular kit. I dont mind the cost, I just dont want leaks or to run out of LP.
Thanks!

OR

Maybe even better is it possible to stuff a larger propane tank as a replacement.
15 REPLIES 15

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a 1200 watt radiator style just for a little less load on the electric system.

As for propane I would be getting a second and larger tank permanently installed if there was space to do it. Otherwise if you want to carry portable cylinders they can't really travel inside so some external mount is needed.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
awesomeman wrote:
Mich F wrote:
If you have electric hookups where you're parked, just get a 1500 watt electric heater. I'm in my MH now with temps in the 40's outside , the single electric heater I have warms up the MH just fine.

If the over night temps will be in the 40's, we don't normally bother turning the heater on. we just use enough blankets. we'll turn on the heater when we get up and it warms up the coach quickly.

Thats what I was thinking, Ive just heard horror stories with those little space heaters. I Could be overthinking it though
I agree with a 1500W electric heater, we've had one for several years now, works great, thermostatically controlled (we usually set it at 65), oscillating, with a tip over safety switch that does actually work, (accidentally tested). Also on the dash board, set your climate control to recirculate.
If it does get colder, low 30's, the furnace might kick on for a short time once or twice a night.
That was my thought too.

I bought a small electric ceramic 750/1500 heater at Walmart for $20. When 110V shore power is available, it does great job to maintain a comfortable temperature in our rig when outside temps are above the 30's. When the temps drop more, the furnace supplements the electric heater. When starting stone cold, we'll heat up everything with the furnace and electric heater together, then run the electric heater alone to maintain it.

Our rig is small with no slide outs, well insulated, and has thermal glass, all surely help with indoor temps.

Be sure to block off the cab area with an old quilt or sleeping bag, drape it across the two front seats and tuck the thing around making a good seal. That helps immensely as mentioned by others.

My comments are simply supporting others.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
awesomeman wrote:
Thats what I was thinking, Ive just heard horror stories with those little space heaters. I Could be overthinking it though

The newer electric heaters are as safe as you can possibly get. The have overheat protection, tip over protection, etc, etc.

I use a stand-up 1500 watt heater that rotates and it is wonderful!! At my studio for years I used an oil filled heater in the front entrance.

I love the oil filled but it takes longer to heat up and does not spread around the heat, the benefit is that it is safer in that you can hang things on it without an issue (not that you should).
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
awesomeman wrote:
Mich F wrote:
If you have electric hookups where you're parked, just get a 1500 watt electric heater. I'm in my MH now with temps in the 40's outside , the single electric heater I have warms up the MH just fine.

If the over night temps will be in the 40's, we don't normally bother turning the heater on. we just use enough blankets. we'll turn on the heater when we get up and it warms up the coach quickly.

I agree with a 1500W electric heater, we've had one for several years now, works great, thermostatically controlled (we usually set it at 65), oscillating, with a tip over safety switch that does actually work, (accidently tested).
If it does get colder, low 30's, the furnace might kick on for a short time once or twice a night.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Electric heaters don't have to be operated on their highest settings. A 30 amp RV on hookups could of course easily power two electric heaters - with one set on high and the other set to a lower setting. Then just momentarily turn one or the other off while operating a microwave or convection oven.

We often run a 150 watt heater in addition to a regular 1500 watt heater.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
You might also want to consider installing a catalytic heater, which uses much less propane and does a really good job of heating your rig.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
2005 Monaco LaPalma 37PST
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the extend-a-stay adapters work well. We've had one installed for years and use it for the BBQ and for hooking up a portable propane bottle. RV park we stayed at one winter rented out 75 gallon tanks of propane for residents. Used it.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
When we bought our 22' mini-motorhome, DH installed an electric rod (?) so our water heater could use electric instead of gas. You could also heat the coach with a match. We had a very small space heater and when we were camped with hookups, we used that. Worked like a charm.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
The water heater barely uses pretty little lp. Itโ€™s a horizontal tank and I think itโ€™s about 18 gallons. Itโ€™s my heater that uses it quite a bit. I was out for about 6 nights....cold nights and days and I went through most the tank and I wouldnโ€™t have minded using it a lot more. I love the extend a stay idea. I think camco makes one. So question 1 is are those adapters safe? I donโ€™t mind carrying a tank since I almost always have a trailer. I donโ€™t think a larger tank will fit but Iโ€™m open to ideas on how to stuff something larger in there. How big can I go?

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Goggle "extend a stay"...

Gary

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
If you're talking about extended stays at RV parks, you can reduce your propane use by installing an electric water heater element. (Or using the one already installed if available). There are a couple brands and they work great.

I installed one in my old '94 Bounder and in this '02 Journey it came installed from the factory. I haven't used propane to heat my water for over two years now, relying on the electric element and timing my shower and dish washing needs so they don't coincide. The factory installed heater is bigger than the aftermarket heater but the aftermarket element I installed helped a great deal too. Only required that the propane be turned on for 5 minutes before a shower and off immediately afterward.

If you leave your hot water heater on all the time on propane, that isn't necessary and wastes fuel. Just turn it on 10 minutes before you need hot water, and off after.

As far as adding a tank for your furnace, do your neighbors have one? Have you asked them where they got their equipment? That's the best way. Many towns you just call the propane company and they'll bring one out and attach it for you. You pay a deposit and go on a 'keep filled' month to month charge basis.

If you're talking about adding a tank so you can boondock longer, that's a whole 'nuther story.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
My question is how long are you staying? I have used the 20lb bottles for years in the truck camper and never used a full one on a trip, on the motor home I have not even dropped below 3/4 when on a trip.

I only turn on the hot water when I need it and the furnace only when cold. If you have hook-ups you may want to get a 110V heater to relieve some of the draw on the propane one.

If you do need more propane then I would go with a larger tank or if you are parked for long term someplace (months) then get one of the huge tanks and hook up to that.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks