cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How can my mother get into our motorhome?

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Hello; My mother has always liked going with us on camping trips. She is now 96 and she broke her hip last year. She can still walk around the house and go out to places, but her days of climbing steps or stairs are over.

I think that she could maneuver around inside our motorhome and there are things for her to grab onto to steady herself. The main problem I see is how she can get into and out of the RV. There are three steps, and I do not think it is safe for her to climb up or go down them. Modifying the motorhome to add a lift isn't an option for us.

Has anyone worked through this issue? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO
14 REPLIES 14

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway, if it were me I would build a device based on two things. One is an aisle chair for aircraft, and the other is a stair climbing hand truck. If you browse for images of both those items on Google, you could probably build what you need using the hand truck as the base carriage. Just thinking out loud sort of.
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the kind words and great suggestions. Yes my mother is a real trooper! I'll go through all the possibilities and hopefully find one that works for us.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any suggestions, but kudos to your mother for traveling at 96!

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
How much money does mom have? I could become her privet lifter. Just kidding ramp yes, wheel chair no. will not fit in door.
Dennis Hoppert

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it is wonderful that your Mom still wants to go places. Most older people are content to sit around. Must be the Norwegian blood. Uffda.

I broke my femur a few years ago and found out the beauty of ramps. Make one for your RV out of plywood. Good luck and God Bless your Mom.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There are a number of options.

Here is one.

Google results for others.

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Searching around, it looks like there are several products out there that might fit your needs. Here's one: Step Assist Lift System
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We have a friend that recently had both knees replaced, and she finds the mentioned "butt bump" method the easiest way to handle our steps when she visits.

When my wife's disabled sister traveled with us some years ago, we used a large dog 250 lb capacity ramp and a narrow travel wheel chair to move her in and out of the coach. Later on, when our then wheelchair bound teen aged granddaughter traveled with us, we used the same ramp and chair for her as well. The bigger problem for us was getting them in and out of the shower. I modified a shower bench to fit, but I couldn't find any practical way to use anything like a Hoyer lift in the tight confines of the bathroom, leaving us with a looped strap over my shoulders under their butts as the preferred method of lifting them in and out.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
From the pic of your rig, it looks like you have a nice rack on the back. Should be easy to carry a ramp.

Alternatively if you are handy, a modified motorcycle lift could be used. Just keep it on the back deck and drag it around once you get to the site. Mom steps onto the platform and pushes a button to go up or down.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd do a ramp. Something like This that she could use a walker to go up. Get one long enough to ensure a proper grade - you can talk to her PT or other mobility expert for the right grade for her abilities.

A friend of my mother's once told her to not use a wheelchair until you absolutely have to do so. She was paralyzed and said that once you get in that chair you will find every excuse to not get back out. If your mom can still walk with help, then she's best off continuing walking - even if it's very slow.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how disabled she is. I know when I fell breaking my hip, pelvis etc I was able to sit down on the steps and go up them backwards one step at a time. Once inside my wife would help me to stand. Like you said once inside I could hold onto furniture and move about.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
It involves buying another motorhome but the Newmar Canyon Star 3911 has a built in wheelchair lift.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Best suggestion would be some sort of ramp and wheelchair. I can't think of any way she'll be able to do the steps herself, which is a shame.
Nice that she still likes to travel at her age, and that you don't mind having her come along. Very nice.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Can you carry a ramp and use it and a wheelchair or mobility scooter?