cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many is too many

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about buying a class c mot or home (Ford e 450 gas burner) it's a 2013 with 110,000 miles on the drive train. Is that too many miles? What's your opinon.....thanks in advance
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle
40 REPLIES 40

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy666 wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
"I would not buy a gas motorhome with more than about 60k miles, or a diesel with more than about 110-120 k miles. "

These aren't your grandpas engines anymore. My gas engines have easily gone to 300K and diesel is even better. A diesel at 120 is about 1/4 of it's life. Big rigs go 500K and then get some rings and bearings. Ford's V-10 is a well engineered engine, i say that and I am not a fan of Ford products.

I agree.

A good example of this is several reports I've read from fleet mechanics at places like UPS, Fed-ex ground, etc....They claim that modern Ford and GM gas v-8s and v-10s will typically last at least 200K miles and often 300K+ miles in hard service in local delivery vans. Continual starts and stops, idling for thousands of hours, and drivers that are rough on equipment, and still they manage to run impressive distances. As for not wanting a 60K motorhome, seriously? Mine has 80K on a 2006 Ford V-10 and it runs like new.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
As for the $150 for plugs/coils, my brother did the ordering and work and quoted the price he said it cost for the parts. Either way, even if $300+ still worth keeping these GREAT V10 engines when they turn over 100k miles. I plan on keeping this one until it absolutely drops to the ground, and if I need an engine/tranny rebuilt, not a big issue to me. When you price out newer models (mines a 2003 Fourwinds 28A) it just make sense to keep up the maintenance and enjoy it. But, my 1994 Jeep had 250k miles and was going strong before I changed it into a street machine, so I'm not scared of actual mileage. Too many folks put a "death sentence" when approaching 100K on any vehicle.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
DallasSteve wrote:
I'm no expert, but as a buyer I'm looking for a 5 year old motorhome with about 20,000 miles. At 30,000 miles I'm losing interest. For me, no way am I buying if it has more than 50,000. But then, I wonder if the miles have been rolled back.

Todays vehicles store the mileage in the computer. If it's digital, it's permanent.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
justinhscott wrote:
Blutoyz wrote:
Get away from rental units and you will likely find the same rig for less money with about 30K on it....just my $.02 of course

As someone who actively shopped rentals vs. non-rentals, I can tell you that my experience was the exact opposite. Similar campers from regular owners were 20-30% MORE expensive. Thatโ€™s the exact reason people buy used rentals - theyโ€™re cheaper than similar non-rental units.

Exactly what I found,all the owners wanted more than they were worth mostly because they were upside down in their loans and all needed some work such as awning,$600 and tires $1500 and other things that just added to the end price of the RV by 20 to 30% They also had very sketchy if any maintenance records.

With the rental I had all the service records,and know that it had been properly maintained and I didn't have to do any repairs or buy new tires. Bringing the price down to well within my budget.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm no expert, but as a buyer I'm looking for a 5 year old motorhome with about 20,000 miles. At 30,000 miles I'm losing interest. For me, no way am I buying if it has more than 50,000. But then, I wonder if the miles have been rolled back.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would frame the question in a bit of a different light. I would ask myself these question(s)

1) at what point mileage wise, would you be uncomfortable going on a 5K trip through say the Arizona desert and back.
2) not only talking about the engine, but the tranny rear-end etc
3) As the average MH use is around 6K a year, how many years do you want to own it?
4) because when you factor in the above, it really changes the equation
in one direction or another. depending on what you want to do

For me the answers are as follows
1) around 160K
2) same
3) 25 years, so 6 x 25 =150+ 110, already on it = 260 K Way out of my comfort zone ( others will say different, I say cool, but in my life experience, 160- 170K I get a bit spooky)

My opinion, buy it once, never buy it again, the key is how long do you want to own it, what is your comfort zone on mileage on long trips

We bought 4 years old, 5K on it, now 13 years later 65K. It will run us till we drop. 25 years X 6 = 150 + 5 =155k

So I suggest end of the day, although we paid more, than a high mileage unit, the long term cost and peace of mind will work out in our favor Remember taxes, new units more expensive and so on

Buy it once buy it right and keep it up, if you want it long term. That is my thought

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Paul ... thanks for the anxiety-reducing comments above regarding modern electric fuel pumps. (The electric fuel pump in my MGA way back when was NOT reliable.)

Most of our RV'ing buddies won't go with us out in the middle of nowhere looking for rocks and most-of/non-of the ERS providers will go out there, either, to tow us. So I'm always "running scared" from thinking about Dead-In-The-Water stuff that could happen.

Our daughter even wants us to get a satellite based emergency rescue device ... as cell phones and super duper ERS plans can't always bail out us non-toad RV'er types.

I'm amazed reading in these forums the things that many posters merely seem to "take for granted" can always be worked out in a no big deal fashion.

That's Russ a true desert rat, can get you out of anything. We used the hydraulic jacks to lift the coach then used our firewood to hold it up. It looked good but the wash was soft. The coach basically was sitting on the spare tire.
Im glad there is no sound to go with this however our camera crew from Sweden shot some good video.
We were on a good hard packed road with a small wash that was full of rocks however a miscalculation on the rear overhang is what made my day. After unloading the Ranger and unhooking the trailer we were out of the hole in short time. I backed up about 100 feet and we stayed there for a few days. That was 60 miles from the nearest town but if you drove up the road you could get cell service. We had another truck with a camper on it so we were ok.
Enjoy the desert, we do.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paul ... thanks for the anxiety-reducing comments above regarding modern electric fuel pumps. (The electric fuel pump in my MGA way back when was NOT reliable.)

Most of our RV'ing buddies won't go with us out in the middle of nowhere looking for rocks and most-of/non-of the ERS providers will go out there, either, to tow us. So I'm always "running scared" from thinking about Dead-In-The-Water stuff that could happen.

Our daughter even wants us to get a satellite based emergency rescue device ... as cell phones and super duper ERS plans can't always bail out us non-toad RV'er types.

I'm amazed reading in these forums the things that many posters merely seem to "take for granted" can always be worked out in a no big deal fashion.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fuel pumps mounted inside fuel tanks whether it be passenger autos or MH get cooling from the fact that they are submerged in a fluid. IF you are a half tank kind of person since the increase in fuel then you are increasing the risk of premature failure. The only in tank fuel pump I ever replaced was in the 250K mile range on a K-5 Blazer. I know this, certain parts should be OEM and that's one of them. So with that being said my belief is that changing your pump for the sake of having a new one isn't something I would do.

On different passenger vehicles that have had fuel pump failures and that have easy access to the fuel tank in the rear, a tapping on the fuel tank while someone attempts to start the vehicle will SOMETIMES give you one more start up however do not turn it off until you reach your destination. I don't know why this works but it has for us. A good 2x4 and a nice vibration on the tank seems to help.

Now if you have zero mechanical ability or zero common sense do not attempt anything that I ever say or do. I will get nailed by the scaredy cat police for encouraging people to lay under a car or hit a fuel tank with gas in it. As my dear wife often remarks,"what do you know" and I agree with her, bless her heart.....

justinhscott
Explorer
Explorer
Blutoyz wrote:
Get away from rental units and you will likely find the same rig for less money with about 30K on it....just my $.02 of course

As someone who actively shopped rentals vs. non-rentals, I can tell you that my experience was the exact opposite. Similar campers from regular owners were 20-30% MORE expensive. Thatโ€™s the exact reason people buy used rentals - theyโ€™re cheaper than similar non-rental units.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Although your post didn't mention it, a previous post noted you are thinking of buying a 28A. I have an '05 Thor 28A which I bought new. Mine has the Chevy 6.0L engine but otherwise it is the same. It has been a great RV, suits us fine. I have made many mods to personalize it. Don't off hand know the mileage but probably about 100K. The only mechanical problem has been a leaking gasoline filler pipe.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
Transmission and engine rebuild @ 100K?

Then again ... the 5R110 5-speed computer controlled transmission in our 2005 Ford E450 motorhome (2005 year chassis and coach) failed at around 60,000 miles just as we were leaving for a trip. So bad things can happen.

FWIW, I replaced it with a remanufactured heavy-duty version 5R110 transmission - hoping to prevent this from ever happening again. The remanufactured transmission seems to be smoother and better behaved than the original transmission ever was, for some reason.

So bad things can happen under 100K miles. I have our mechanic always check the hoses and I had them replace the serpentine belt under 60K miles some time ago and I carry a spare just in case.

My biggest concern now is the electric fuel pump - should I have it replaced just in case? :h

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Properly maintained, that unit is barely broken in.

Beware of motorhomes that have sat around all their lives. They soak up water like a sponge and are a Pandora's Box of other peoples problems.