cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which awning replacement fabric should I buy?

albow
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what my original make is, but the fabric is now shot. I have found a number of replacements, but comparing them is difficult. I have discovered that I can't buy the best fabric, as it isn't compatible with a system that doesn't have a metal cover. Mine has no cover. Some of the fabrics have weights noted and some don't. One says it is heat welded and the others seem to be sewn. I'm unsure, but it seems sewn would be preferable. I will attempt to post links and you can also tell me of your experiences.

https://www.awnings4rvs.com/14ftRollUpAwningFabricReplacement

https://www.ebay.com/itm/62414-RV-Patio-Awning-Replacement-Fabric-14-Ocean-Blue-Fade/262560061613?epid=655926657&hash=item3d21cc98ad:g:S~8AAOSwo8hTobTv&vxp=mtr

http://www.campingworld.com/solera-universal-awning-replacement-fabric-and-weather-guard $218 in my size

http://www.campingworld.com/linen-fade-replacement-fabric-for-dometic-patio-awning-with-vinyl-weathershield $256 in my size

http://www.campingworld.com/vinyl-replacement-fabric-for-dometic-universal-patio-awning-white-weathershield-included $228 on sale in my size
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).
12 REPLIES 12

albow
Explorer
Explorer
CoMaddMax wrote:
I getting ready to replace mine too. What did you finally go with?
I went with toughtop. Still waiting for it to arrive.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
albow wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
albow wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far, but none actually answer my question of which fabric is the best among the ones I listed. I would choose the acrylic if it would work with mine but it won't, and comparing these others to each other isn't exactly straightforward. I may have to just call one of them and ask so I can learn. Out of the ones I listed, one is a clear cut better price and seems to have heavier fabric, but also is the only one that says it is heat welded rather than sewn, which makes me wonder if that's why it is so much cheaper. If not an issue, then certainly it would be the one to choose. I do see where everyone who bought from them is satisfied.

I don't understand why you say you can't get acrylic. Not sure how much it matters but I would think a solid vinyl and not one glued together in layers would be more durable. I've seen more than just a few posts here on the layered awnings coming apart. Toughtop seems to be a favorite here.

Larry
Acrylic is only available if you have a cover for your awning to roll up into, which mine does not. It is exposed. Why, I don't know, I just know a manufacturer said so.

Looks like acrylic with out cover.
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

CoMaddMax
Explorer
Explorer
I getting ready to replace mine too. What did you finally go with?

albow
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
albow wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far, but none actually answer my question of which fabric is the best among the ones I listed. I would choose the acrylic if it would work with mine but it won't, and comparing these others to each other isn't exactly straightforward. I may have to just call one of them and ask so I can learn. Out of the ones I listed, one is a clear cut better price and seems to have heavier fabric, but also is the only one that says it is heat welded rather than sewn, which makes me wonder if that's why it is so much cheaper. If not an issue, then certainly it would be the one to choose. I do see where everyone who bought from them is satisfied.

I don't understand why you say you can't get acrylic. Not sure how much it matters but I would think a solid vinyl and not one glued together in layers would be more durable. I've seen more than just a few posts here on the layered awnings coming apart. Toughtop seems to be a favorite here.

Larry
Acrylic is only available if you have a cover for your awning to roll up into, which mine does not. It is exposed. Why, I don't know, I just know a manufacturer said so.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
albow wrote:

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

albow
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Do not get the second one, Ocean blue fade, form eBay!
It's a worthless piece of junk. It's so thin that the sun and heat come right through it.
Yeah, I was suckered into buying one.
Plz learn from my tightwad mistake.
I was leaning that way because of the positive reviews and price. My main concern was the heat welding. Thanks for the info. I'm probably going with brown. Well, actually, the wife will choose. I'm only in charge of the material.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look HereI am extremely pleased with the quality and durability after two years.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Do not get the second one, Ocean blue fade, form eBay!
It's a worthless piece of junk. It's so thin that the sun and heat come right through it.
Yeah, I was suckered into buying one.
Plz learn from my tightwad mistake.

albow
Explorer
Explorer

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Touh Top Awnings out of Vancouver,WA. Great service fast turn around, decent prices.

AFChap
Explorer
Explorer
Our original awnings came in acrylic fabric, from Carefree Colorado. We fulltimed for seven years and used the awnings a lot, both the patio and the window awnings. We are now on the road about 50% of the year. The fabric is still in great shape after 15 years! I had to have some stitching redone, but the fabric has many years of use left in it.
Paul ... was Fulltimin... now HalfTimin!
KE5LXU, SMART, WIT, FMCA, Good Sam, Escapees
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E / '17 Jeep GC Limited

parkdep
Explorer
Explorer