cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apex or Venture (Sporttrek) TT

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to get a TT and slowly narrowing it down to either Apex or Venture. Thought I'd ask here. Anyone have either and if so, good things to say or bad about each?
Still working on numbers whether I can actually pull it.
I have a 2014 Ford F150 supercrew with v6 ecoboost.
Dealers (TT) have said and showed me weight limits for the truck handling 9200 full, recommending 8200 empty weight, but I'm finding I don't think I want to be that close. The Venture one we looking at is approx. 7600 empty, apex approx. 7000 or maybe 6000 something, not even close to the venture.
Thoughts?
31 REPLIES 31

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
it's with full tank of gas, one adult passenger and two babies with car seats. I'm going to re way it with just me in it, which is what we pan on doing with wife trailing in her expedition hauling kids and stuff.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Deuce222 wrote:
Ok, weighed truck with me and my twins and car seats, that's the bare minimum weight "inside" the truck I would have.
Weights are as follows:
Front 3260
Back 2920
Total weight 6180

Your rear axle sticker says 3850 per a previous post.

Was the fuel tank full?

3850-2920 = 930 lbs..

Youll be pushing it with the coachman.. Probably over after camper loaded.. Forget the other one.

Man thats not a lot left just 930lbs.

How much money you want to spend on a TT? There are some lite jobs but $$$$.

As stated its about TW and payload, not what you can pull.

This may be your safest bet..

585 TW will probably be 785 the the WD will distribute some of it.

Plus its about 4800-5000 lbs.. Youll have a better tow IMO.. After loaded 6000 or so.

Good payload too 2100lbs

http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62&ModelID=292#Main

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tc8RQUk35M

The grand design here is similar but 1000 lbs heavier and about 20K more $$$$

Only about 1300lbs payload.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2018/travel-trailer/imagine/floorplans/2800bh
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, weighed truck with me and my twins and car seats, that's the bare minimum weight "inside" the truck I would have.
Weights are as follows:
Front 3260
Back 2920
Total weight 6180

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input people. It helps. I don't take anything personal. I just want to find out before I buy wrong.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
lawrosa wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Yea, that’s the exact Apex I plan on buying. The calculator is cool if you have the trailer. I don’t have it yet so I have to use worst case scenario calculations and then ideal calculations. Those calculations help me ballpark my numbers pretty close.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Max payload for your truck is 1700lbs or there abouts.. Whats your sticker say on the door?

My TW was 541lbs advertised. Buy time I loaded the camper with stuff, added 2nd battery and propane I went to 740lbs.

Payload on my door sticker is 1470 or so...( edit*** 1482.. just checked) Weights with full tank and me in the truck subtracted by rear axle weight left me with about the same. 1400+lbs.

I recommend weighing your truck before you buy anything...

Fuzz under 1,800 lbs on the sticker. Not as capable as my old duallys 3750 lbs but more than adaquate. Got about 1300 lbs left after fam and a full tank per the scale. Way way good on axles. Will start losing weight in the truck thanks to my oldest graduation from highs school next year.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Yea, that’s the exact Apex I plan on buying. The calculator is cool if you have the trailer. I don’t have it yet so I have to use worst case scenario calculations and then ideal calculations. Those calculations help me ballpark my numbers pretty close.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Max payload for your truck is 1700lbs or there abouts.. Whats your sticker say on the door?

My TW was 541lbs advertised. Buy time I loaded the camper with stuff, added 2nd battery and propane I went to 740lbs.

Payload on my door sticker is 1470 or so...( edit*** 1482.. just checked) Weights with full tank and me in the truck subtracted by rear axle weight left me with about the same. 1400+lbs.

I recommend weighing your truck before you buy anything...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Apex will probably be my next brand of trailer.

Im a coachman guy myself. I like that they are low slung.. I have the 261 bh.. My next one would be a freedom express. Just that much better finish IMO.

Saw this one and its just a great size shower and layout.. A bit heavy in the hitch though..Apex has the smaller ones but the showers have no surrounds. A bit of a turn off.Just cant see water spraying on luan.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=60&ModelID=2096#Main

I’m experienced, towed lots and lots and bought a half ton with my eyes wide open. Former Dually owner and understand the weights.

For half ton trucks I look for dry weight to be about 3,500-5,000 dry MAX. I know that loaded I want to be maxed out at 6,500 lbs. This puts my worst case scenario tongue weight at 15% which is about 975 lbs. Well within the hitches rating. The likely Tongue weight will be around 12% (hopefully) which will put me about 780 lbs. This will keep me under the axle weight ratings which in turn will keep me under tire weight ratings with plenty of payload for my family and our few things in the truck.

IDK... Im at 740lb TW now and its 14%...Not sure your percentages add up..I input weights here.

http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/TravelTrailerCatScales

I look for trailers that are relatively low to the ground and have a lower overall profile. I also look for an aerodynamic front profile. I like the adzel construction but it’s not a deal breaker. Apex for the Win.

Other trailers on the list are also Keystone Bullet and the Surveyor brands. Jayco has a few that ticks the boxes too. I have never bought into the sayings that a Half Ton can’t handle lengths in the 27-32 ft range. That has not been my experience towing 32 ft with a half ton. Set up the trailer right, set up the truck right, set the hitch right, air the tires up and drive sensibly.

Matching the ratings of the combo up is 1/4 of the battle and a great foundation. Loading is another 1/4, hitch set up is 1/4, and how you operate is 1/4 of the battle. Just IMHO that is.

IMO for 1/2 ton is start with a low TW if you can. 600lbs or less. They are outhere. Somes brands and models.

The 288bhs here has same weights as ny unit. under 600 tw and 4800 lbs all in 30 feet.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62&ModelID=292#Main

Thanks!

Jeremiah
Mike L ... N.J.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Apex will probably be my next brand of trailer.

I’m experienced, towed lots and lots and bought a half ton with my eyes wide open. Former Dually owner and understand the weights.

For half ton trucks I look for dry weight to be about 3,500-5,000 dry MAX. I know that loaded I want to be maxed out at 6,500 lbs. This puts my worst case scenario tongue weight at 15% which is about 975 lbs. Well within the hitches rating. The likely Tongue weight will be around 12% (hopefully) which will put me about 780 lbs. This will keep me under the axle weight ratings which in turn will keep me under tire weight ratings with plenty of payload for my family and our few things in the truck.

I look for trailers that are relatively low to the ground and have a lower overall profile. I also look for an aerodynamic front profile. I like the adzel construction but it’s not a deal breaker. Apex for the Win.

Other trailers on the list are also Keystone Bullet and the Surveyor brands. Jayco has a few that ticks the boxes too. I have never bought into the sayings that a Half Ton can’t handle lengths in the 27-32 ft range. That has not been my experience towing 32 ft with a half ton. Set up the trailer right, set up the truck right, set the hitch right, air the tires up and drive sensibly.

Matching the ratings of the combo up is 1/4 of the battle and a great foundation. Loading is another 1/4, hitch set up is 1/4, and how you operate is 1/4 of the battle. Just IMHO that is.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy usually has lots of good info. He unfortunately packages it in very condescending, snide terms, which maybe he doesn't realize is a big turn off to just about everybody that reads it, leaving them wanting to either leave or fire back with their own snide remarks.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
xteacher wrote:
Not sure why some of these posters are being so judgmental. The OP came on here seeking information, not ridicule. If you've never towed before, there is a steep learning curve. I'd hate for the OP to go elsewhere to get information, because he was made to look like an idiot - he's not.

You're right ... whenever someone posts here about towing 8000 lbs of trailer with a 1/2 ton (which happens almost every day at this time of year those of us who know better should just clam up and not say a word. Heaven knows, no salesman is going to tell him otherwise. In this case the OP made the same mistake many newbies make, specifying 2 different trailers he's interested in that are both well beyond the capabilities of his truck. Yeah, we'll keep mum from now on - that will really help the newbie who is already WAY in over his head without even knowing it.

Your criticism is nonsense but typical of the way these discussions about towing always end.
Your right teacher, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
Not sure why some of these posters are being so judgmental. The OP came on here seeking information, not ridicule. If you've never towed before, there is a steep learning curve. I'd hate for the OP to go elsewhere to get information, because he was made to look like an idiot - he's not.

You're right 😉 ... whenever someone posts here about towing 8000 lbs of trailer with a 1/2 ton (which happens almost every day at this time of year :R ) those of us who know better should just clam up and not say a word. 😛 Heaven knows, no salesman is going to tell him otherwise. In this case the OP made the same mistake many newbies make, specifying 2 different trailers he's interested in that are both well beyond the capabilities of his truck. :R Yeah, we'll keep mum from now on - that will really help the newbie who is already WAY in over his head without even knowing it. :S

Your criticism is nonsense but typical of the way these discussions about towing always end. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer

With that said, I tow with a Ram HEMI 1500 with a 8850 pound towing capacity. I tow a trailer with just over a 5,000 dry weight and a 535 hitch weight (again, dry weight). It's just my husband and myself, along with two small dogs. I would not want to tow very much more - maybe up to 5500 pounds dry weight. With a family along, you'll definitely need to be careful not to buy too heavy a trailer to allow for their weight, and also all the "stuff" you'll be bringing along.

We looked at Apexes and liked them very much. We ended up getting a Keystone Bullet, due to floorplan and cost. We would have definitely preferred an Apex, if we'd found the right floor plan at a price in our budget.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
I always weigh with me in it because thats a no brainer. Someone has to drive....lol

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other ... I like to know what my truck actually weighs sitting there alone with a full tank of gas, ready for hitching - in other words it's actual curb weight, not some fanciful number from a brochure, nor even what the door sticker may claim it is. When you know what it really weighs as equipped subtract that number from it's GVWR which is listed on the driver's side sticker and you then know exactly what everything else that's going to be in the truck can weigh when you're towing. Dead simple, and avoids having to waste time with those likewise fanciful tow ratings manufacturers are so fond of advertising. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380