Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARB Lockers

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi All,

I am exploring the possibility of installing an ARB lockers on either the front/rear or both axles.

I currently have a limited slip in the rear axle.

My ONLY reason to install an ARB is the ability to get through sandy areas. I am not a rock crawler, just want to cruise down a sandy wash in the desert without too much trouble. I want to try and not have to air down then back up to get through the occasional sandy areas.

I am not interested in any other brand of locker as I want the instant ON/OFF capabilities.

My truck is the 3500 RAM diesel with an TC on it fully loaded at 14K.

Questions:

Would an ARB on the front or back put undo stress on the other OEM components in my described application?

If not, would the front be better than the rear or visa versa? Would both be needed?

I don't have room for a winch as my front receiver already carries my Honda generator.

What do my locker experts think?
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
40 REPLIES 40

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
The link I posted above to Randy's shows TrueTrac available for the 9.25 front. I would call Randy and see what they say vs Eaton.

My front TrueTrac made a huge improvement in the sand at Pismo. But I don't carry a TC either.

Great news on the TracRite.

I just got off the phone with Randys Worldwide.

PN TT914A643 in the link you sent will work in my 9.25" front end, but it needs spacers to make it fit correctly.

TT front diff $697
Spacers $100

I then called Eaton to chat about that discussion and they DO NOT recommend the install of spacers which is why they dont' have a direct application in their catalog at this time.
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
The link I posted above to Randy's shows TrueTrac available for the 9.25 front. I would call Randy and see what they say vs Eaton.

My front TrueTrac made a huge improvement in the sand at Pismo. But I don't carry a TC either.

I will do that, I thought it was strange that they said they didn't have an application for the 9.25" front.
2013 Eagle Cap 950

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Eric,
The Trac Rite seems like a spin off of the True Trac. In the factory website explanation I could find no big difference in how the two work.
This is a good conclusion to your rear end traction, (that you already have), but does Eaton have anything that fits the front 9.5"? Spline count is the key. You may not need it but it would be good to know if it is upgradable.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I called Eaton regarding my current exact set-up.....truck/camper, axle weights and so forth.

The Eaton representative informed me, to my great surprise, that the 2013 RAM with the 11.5" AAM rear axle has a TracRite GT Helical Gear Limited Slip in it. It does not have a clutch pack that could wear out or need special fluid additives like I originally thought.

From their website:

TracRite® GT - Helical Gear Limited Slip Differential
AAM produces a wide variety of differential cases and assemblies for the aftermarket. Each is designed to the exacting specifications of the OEM vehicle manufacture. Each differential assembly is built to OEM specs because they are the same units made for OEM production use. The TracRite® GT is a helical gear designed limited slip style differential. The torque bias is proportional to the throttle, providing a smooth application of torque to the wheels. Since this differential uses helical gears, there are no clutch plates to wear and no friction additives are needed. The TracRite® GT is compatible with ABS, traction and stability control systems. When you want your vehicle to perform like the OEM it is, use the OEM replacement parts made by the original manufacture.

Features:

Before differentiation occurs, gear radial and thrust forces generated by the torque on the gears cause frictional forces in the differential between the gear to gear interfaces and gear to case interfaces
Once the frictional forces are overcome, differentiation will occur
The torque will be continually biased, by the frictional forces, to the high traction wheel
Torque bias ratio is tunable by modifying helical gear geometry
Torque to turn (pre-load) is tunable by adjusting the amount of spring pre-load
Increases traction effort on high mu wheel through the multiplication factor of the TBR. Higher TBR of limited slips increases the amount of torque that can be transferred
Compatible with ABS, traction and stability control systems
Applicable to front or rear axles, and transaxle / transmissions

He said not exactly like their TrueTrac, but recommended that I leave it there and just keep the oil changed per spec. He stated that they do not make an application for the AAM 9.25" front axle but that what I have in the front along with the factory TracRite is plenty enough for my projected applications.

That bit if news saved me some $$$$
2013 Eagle Cap 950

nodepositnoretu
Explorer
Explorer
As has been stated above ,you do not need lockers except for rapock crawling with one wheel off the ground. If you engage on really slippery surfaces you’ll just crab walk the vehicle. Beach camping for years, air down, I’ve had truck campers and tag alongside on super soft sand . air down you actually don’t even need special tires. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket ? Put a over or under drive unit in your truck. But lockers .....nah free spin hubs yea .
2003 Dodge Dually Cummins 4x4, HO,Smarty ,4”,airbox gutted,2 micron CAT fuel,.Lance 2005 1055.Solar, Loaded.110,000 Easy miles.

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
Its gonna look UGLY! but its been safe in my experience if you drive gently.

I left them in the 30psi range one time because of a new(faulty) gauge and the difference was notable, to the degree I couldnt make the small hill at the beach exit I usually just walked up. Aired down more and had no problem.

egarant wrote:
av8rds wrote:
egarant wrote:

When your 80psi up front and 67psi in the rear carrying 14K, how low dare I go?

I take mine down to about 24psi on the beach with my EC1160. With my older Lance which was about 1000lbs lighter I'd go down to 20.

Thanks for those pressures, I will take them down to that in my driveway and see what she looks like.
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

ajcal225
Explorer
Explorer
pcoplin wrote:

I would agree with this. And Hammers gets super nasty in a hard rain.

I'm a wheeler and a racer, and prefer a strong LSD in the rear of my truck. They really only last about 80-100k in the Fords, but Yukon has a clutch kit for around $300.

At the time I was a Yukon sponsored competitor as well. I asked about the clutches but they sent me a Zip locker instead. 😉

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
ajcal225 wrote:
FWIW, a few years ago I had a Yukon Zip locker installed in the rear of my 03 f250 after having problems leaving the hammers in the rain (i had to unload my trailer to drive out, hike back and drive the jeep out).

It worked just fine in that environment, but it made my truck horrible every day. In the rain, I would spin a rear tire anytime I took my foot off of the gas (19.5's..) and every time I crossed a crosswalk I'd break loose (which really sucked on say a curving onramp).

I live on a steep hill and have to make two tight turns while climbing to get home. Without the factory LSD, I would chirp the inside tires on both of those turns *EVERY DAY*.

Eventually I pulled the air locker back out and put the factory LSD back in. It wasn't worth the hassle for the 18 minutes every year or so that the locker was truly useful to me.

I would agree with this. And Hammers gets super nasty in a hard rain.

I'm a wheeler and a racer, and prefer a strong LSD in the rear of my truck. They really only last about 80-100k in the Fords, but Yukon has a clutch kit for around $300.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

ajcal225
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, a few years ago I had a Yukon Zip locker installed in the rear of my 03 f250 after having problems leaving the hammers in the rain (i had to unload my trailer to drive out, hike back and drive the jeep out).

It worked just fine in that environment, but it made my truck horrible every day. In the rain, I would spin a rear tire anytime I took my foot off of the gas (19.5's..) and every time I crossed a crosswalk I'd break loose (which really sucked on say a curving onramp).

I live on a steep hill and have to make two tight turns while climbing to get home. Without the factory LSD, I would chirp the inside tires on both of those turns *EVERY DAY*.

Eventually I pulled the air locker back out and put the factory LSD back in. It wasn't worth the hassle for the 18 minutes every year or so that the locker was truly useful to me.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
av8rds wrote:
egarant wrote:

I take mine down to about 24psi on the beach with my EC1160. With my older Lance which was about 1000lbs lighter I'd go down to 20.

Thanks for those pressures, I will take them down to that in my driveway and see what she looks like.
2013 Eagle Cap 950

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:

'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Sidecarflip wrote:
ARB cut it's teeth in extreme off roading, it's bullet proof.

One of the better known Australian Off Road companies

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
EG,
Oh, i see you are running duals. That's a whole new ball game for sand. 235's are not very wide, a good thing for deflating duals, and the rest of the 6 tires, but if you find the sidewalls rub together at low pressure, get a couple 1/2" spreader rings for you rear axle studs to go between the wheels. That should be enough. Be sure to have the valve stems in a convenient location for airing up or down. The rubbing of the tires is only a problem if you drive for a long time, and at speed: then the rubbing could cause too much heat and premature sidewall wear. If moving slowly, and for a short time, the problem is minimal.
I think duals can work well on sand if you mollify the pressure and do a lot of experimenting. You will eventually find the sweet spot.
My 10" wide Cooper AT-3's are 35" tall. There is a lot of sidewall for the low pressure tread to wallow out to a 12" patch, some of that actually on the sidewall. They run on the street @ 65 pounds; and are so far very quiet for an all terrain tire. The load rating is 3860 per (7720 per axle): plenty enough for a single. My loaded weight is around 10,600 pounds, so not even close to the 15,440 pound tire load rating.
Just get out there with a way to air back up and try different pressures. Oh, and maybe accompanied by someone with a BIG winch. All will be revealed. You will, over time know when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar