cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toy Hauler vs Travel Trailer for just dirt bikes? worth it?

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
I am really torn here. Caught the toy hauler bug and can't get it out of my mind, but I am wondering if it is really the right choice for me or am I just "toy struck" at the moment? I know this is a "Toy Hauler" section, but I need some honest feedback.

Here is my quandary, my family doesn't have a big interest in camping and 85% of the time I use it for myself and friends at enduro/dirt bike race events. Up to now we just load the bikes in the truck bed, attach the trailer and were off with little fuss. It works.

I assume for folks that carry quads or side x sides, a toy hauler is a must, but should I spend the extra $$$$ on a toy hauler for just dirt bikes? I would be spending $15k in addition to my trade. I mean what do you really get vs just putting the bikes in the truck bed? At the end of the day, you get some privacy during tow as well as weather protection?

If I look at those two benefits, as far as privacy, your with the vehicle as you tow, and when you unload at the campground/race, you have to leave the bikes on the outside to sleep a group anyway. As far as weather, dirt bikes especially, are designed for mud/rain/dirt, so your not really hurting them if they are caught in a rain storm?

I am just nervous that I am being impulsive. It would be nice to upgrade to a larger trailer and get the benefit of toy storage, but am I wasting my money for just 2-3 dirt bikes?
7 REPLIES 7

Y-Guy
95jersey I'm going to close this thread and provid a link to your other thread that you posted in the Travel Trailer forum. As a reminder, please do not post the same message in multiple forums without permission from one of the Open Roads Forum moderators.

To reply to this thread ** Click Here **

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
There have been lots of good comments. I personally wouldn't camp without a toy hauler. But my family comes with me most of the time and just being able to back up to the garage and load everything from the back ramp is so nice. I just lower it and we all walk the food, clothes, whatever in there. We camp often without our toys and still use the features of a toy hauler.

That being said, your use is a little different. If you have money just laying around and need something to spend it on, then sure, buy one. Outside of that, I'd keep what you got. Honestly, if my family didn't camp with me, I'd have a totally different setup.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't need the extra water holding capacity or built in generator, then stay with a TT.

When I went from a TH to a class A, one requirement was 100 gals of fresh water, I dry camp (boondock) 90% of the time.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
If I didn't have the SxS I'd do a travel trailer in a heart beat! You get so much more if you take away the ramp gate.
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
What you do now is the better solution. I've always carried my bikes in the truck bed. Some places the riding trailhead is not at the camping location. Then how do you get the toys to the trailhead... break camp?

A TH is nice IF you only ride and camp from the same site. Good for road bikes too.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Even if we didn't have a SxS I'd be inclined to buy a toyhauler anyway. We love having the extra garage space for our dogs to hang out in, and the rear patio for the same reason, so the dogs can sit outside but not have to be tied up. I also like it on longer trips, because I actually set up a table back there and put all our food and stuff on it. While traveling, I store it in the tall upper cabinets, but I like having somewhere to put it that's easy to reach without a stepstool. We also keep all our beer/drink coolers back there so they're out of the way and not sitting outside.

In the winter, we use the garage area to store our riding lawn mower and all of our patio furniture... sorta like a shed. That way the stuff isn't taking up space in our garage (SxS stays in garage since we plow with it). This is nice, at least until we build our outbuilding.

Anyway, only you can decide what your real needs are. I was just listing things we like the garage area for that isn't just for hauling toys.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
If you never plan to haul more 'toys' than what you have now, stay with what you have.

I'm a family of 4, but the only one that rides currently. We have plenty of room for kids bicycles or whatever in the trailer. I have a tonneau as a secure place for my generator.

When 3 friends and I go to Moab, we can get 3 dirt bikes in the trailer, and the 4th goes in the truck along with the coolers and fuel and misc. When there was just two of us, bikes in the truck and took my friend's tent trailer.

If I was strictly a dirt bike guy a travel trailer would be good, but it is easier to load my cruiser in the trailer vs truck. Also, we borrowed a couple 4 wheelers to take to the dunes for a weekend; both in the trailer instead of monkeying around trying to fit a Rancher and Raptor in the bed.

I used to use my trailer as a home away from home when I traveled for work. It was nice to use the TH as a garage during the week for the bike.

Each have benefits... When we purchased, I didn't have a trailer at all. $15k is expensive for convenience.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny