cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dalton Highway

garyindaupeh
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if there is a place where a person could park their travel trailer near the start of the "Haul Road"? We want to go as far as the Arctic Circle, take a picture of the sign and return. Would prefer not dragging the trailer along! Thanks.
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
2013 Keystone Cougar 21RBS
10 REPLIES 10

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
I thought I read there were three campgrounds along the way.
Could drop the trailer at the first of them.

The first one is called Five mile, Blm run campsite with a dump, potable spring water and non potable water. There is a host on site and a vaulted toilet.

Also the Hot Spot Cafe is right there as well, great ham burgers!

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Most folks come up "too late" to do this, but a few years back when I was working, I drove a rig (18-wheeler) from Los Anchorage to Squarebanks, had some work done on the trailer (a tanker) in Squarebanks and headed out of Fairbanks in late afternoon.....

I caught the summer sun just right: it got a bit dusky just out of Squarebanks but my speed north was more than enough to offset the darkness and it was lighter in Prudhoe when I rolled in several hours later than it was in Fairbanks when I left. Since I hit the sack for quite a bit, I can't say if the sun went below the horizon at Prudhoe, but I didn't see a sunset until I hit Los Anchorage at about midnight a few days later on my return trip.

If one's vehicle is suitable, I'd recommend going as far up the "Haul Road" as possible: as noted above, there are areas of very different, but all spectacular scenery along the route and one will miss out on some degree of unique views if you can't take the entire route.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
When we were up with the DGKs we met two couples that camped near us in Fairbanks and left their Teardrops there while driving their Model A Fords up and back in one day. If you plan on spending the night, I'd just leave the trailer in Fairbanks. It was a nice easy drive in a 30 foot class "C".
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The first "official" campground on the Dalton I think is Five Mile, by the Yukon river crossing, some fifty or sixty miles up the road and halfway to the Arctic Circle wayside/sign/camping area. If you pull the trailer that far, it seems to me one may as well go on and camp at the Arctic Circle. (Note: 5 mile does have drinking water and a dump station, the only dump station for many miles around.)

Frankly, in my opinion, many of the most beautiful parts of the road are farther north. Atigun Pass and the Galbraith Lake campground not too far beyond had some of the most spectacular scenery I saw anywhere on my trip to Alaska. (Galbraith lake campground, it should be said, is a couple very, VERY bumpy miles off the highway. It's a passable road, but plan on a half hour or more at a crawling pace over the washboards.) Other areas also had incredible views. Much farther north and it changes to more rolling, flatter tundra, which is quite beautiful in it's own way but not as awe-inspiringly spectacular.

If you're starting out from the Fairbanks area, maybe you could leave the trailer at whatever campground you're staying at there and take a (longish) day trip to the Arctic Circle sign, if that's really the main destination of interest. I would suggest getting a meal at the little cafe next to the Five Mile campground because everyone you talk to afterwards is going to ask if you ate there!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought I read there were three campgrounds along the way.
Could drop the trailer at the first of them.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
It's a easy drive to the Arctic Circle,plus there's a BLM campsite right there as well.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Husband took a day tour to the Artic Circle.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
There is a truck stop (where the black stop ????) that will allow you to park your RV. I park there for 2 nights while I drove the TV all the way up the highway. Sleep in the TV.

I think the GPS is N65ยฐ 01.464' W147ยฐ 39.076'
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
You can also take it as far as the visitors center where there is a large parking lot and then drive up the rest of the way. In 2016 we drove our jeep up to the Arctic Circle picnic area just to have lunch. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu