cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator compartment - how hot does it get?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Ok- I just picked up my Spartan 1245 on Friday and I am hating the amount of basement I lost due to having a generator. It’s turrible.

I known the batteries are installed there. Will I also be able to install the inverter in that compartment?

Can I add a shelf for anything else?

Does that area get very hot when the generator is running?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
12 REPLIES 12

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
momentum rv wrote:
nayther wrote:

... Entire underside of the battery compartment is wide open. Battery fumes are VERY heavy. I think this is a bit paranoid.

Actually, Battery off-gassing is Hydrogen. Lighter than air and can be explosive. Needs to vent up and out.
Yeah, I was going to say "Tell the Hindenburg that hydrogen is heavier than air and not flammable".

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:

... Entire underside of the battery compartment is wide open. Battery fumes are VERY heavy. I think this is a bit paranoid.

Actually, Battery off-gassing is Hydrogen. Lighter than air and can be explosive. Needs to vent up and out.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

RVbikers
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my extra sewer hoses in a container above the genny. havent had any issues except for needing to get to them after the truck is hooked up...hahaha
Keep true to the vision living in your head.
Jim & Evelyn
2015 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7L
2016 Prime Time Spartan 1242X
2012 Street Glide (his)
2004 Fatboy (hers)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I assume you are talking about an onboard Onan? Yes it will get warm when running. I assume your genset is somewhat isolated. From the rest of the storage area? Mine is sort of boxed in on all for sides. But there are allowances for ventilation.

Yes, front compartment and installed Onan. It has a small space around the generator with a separate box for that. There's room above it (not much) but a fair amount of space- maybe 18-20" wide by whatever the compartment is tall. That side area is where the original batteries were.

Here's a dealer picture of it:

My batteries are lithium 12v drop-ins, so no chance for offgassing.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
nayther wrote:
2btowed wrote:
Gen gets pretty warm,but is made to work in enclosure.Draws in air from one side underneath and blows out other side after going over cooling fins.Unless you have sealed batteries,DO NOT,mount inverter in battery compartment!!Gases can explode,and more probably they will eat away at the inverters electronics.If the bat compartment is sealed from the rest of the front storage,and it should be,you can mount inverter behind the batts up high on the wall.Short electric run and close to everything you need.When you get inverter if possibe get inverter/charger.Its what the BIG rigs have and makes charging faster,and easy.You can also wire inverter into 110v system and that makes all receptacles hot.One of the best things I have done..pricey but your batts will love you.

I have a small inverter mounted next to my batteries, about 6" above and to the side, had it there for years, works great, no corrosion issues battery was originally in a marine battery box, no special venting, etc. just a handy means of attaching the battery, ditched that long ago. Entire underside of the battery compartment is wide open. Battery fumes are VERY heavy. I think this is a bit paranoid.

I don't think it's being paranoid. Battery do vent caustic explosive fumes. Inverters can create sparks, I'm not suggesting disaster is going to happen if they are in the same compartment. However I would make sure there is adequate ventilation and avoid putting them in same compartment if possible.
I'm not sure what the risk factor is? But pretending an inverter spark will never ignite battery gases is not prudent.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
2btowed wrote:
Gen gets pretty warm,but is made to work in enclosure.Draws in air from one side underneath and blows out other side after going over cooling fins.Unless you have sealed batteries,DO NOT,mount inverter in battery compartment!!Gases can explode,and more probably they will eat away at the inverters electronics.If the bat compartment is sealed from the rest of the front storage,and it should be,you can mount inverter behind the batts up high on the wall.Short electric run and close to everything you need.When you get inverter if possibe get inverter/charger.Its what the BIG rigs have and makes charging faster,and easy.You can also wire inverter into 110v system and that makes all receptacles hot.One of the best things I have done..pricey but your batts will love you.

I have a small inverter mounted next to my batteries, about 6" above and to the side, had it there for years, works great, no corrosion issues battery was originally in a marine battery box, no special venting, etc. just a handy means of attaching the battery, ditched that long ago. Entire underside of the battery compartment is wide open. Battery fumes are VERY heavy. I think this is a bit paranoid.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

2btowed
Explorer
Explorer
08 Ranger/sold/14 rzr900 4
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
08 f450
04 Kymco 110

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You're generator was designed to run all day. If it's like mine, some of the floor under it was removed to allow for fresh air entry. And it has a built in fan.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I assume you are talking about an onboard Onan? Yes it will get warm when running. I assume your genset is somewhat isolated. From the rest of the storage area? Mine is sort of boxed in on all for sides. But there are allowances for ventilation.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
think I,d find a way to install a exhaust fan .wired to run if gen set was running. no engine likes it real hot.remember you need a fresh air inlet also.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a generator compartment can get very hot. On one very hot day with a power outage I was running the generator with an extension cord to keep the refrigerators in my S&B running. After several hours I smelled fire and smoke was coming out of the generator compartment. The backing on the insulation had caught fire. I would not put any electrical components in a generator compartment.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
it gets pretty warm, but there's wood and plastic in there so can't be too bad. I'd let that be your guide on what you can store near the genny. I keep a quart of oil in there but that's it, no room for anything else
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX