cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Those who have a ramp patio, do you really use it?

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at Toy Haulers and one of the models I like has a patio/ramp, but of course the price is higher by a few thousand than the ones that don't.

I am trying to justify the extra price and looking for feedback from those who actually have a ramp/patio. Do you really use it? Or do you just find yourself sitting outside under the awning vs. the patio?

Also, I assume the season to use it is short as most of the time it is either too hot or too cold.

Just trying to figure out if folks really find themselves using this option or if it just turns out to be another marketing gimmick.
17 REPLIES 17

95snickers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Grand Design Momentum 350 with the ramp/patio and we use the ramp to load our motorcycle and as a patio. In the morning when the grass is wet or the ground is muddy we can sit out there and enjoy the outdoors. It is a bonus when you are looking over water or something scenic. The ramp is made to accommodate the use as a patio with cables and railings.

moman1
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought one that has it and I'm curious to realize it's use (or lack thereof). I can certainly see us using it but only because it's there. To be honest, it wasn't the main feature we cared about when buying this one. But if it's there, we'll use it.

dedmiston
We've only used ours once in two years, but that one time was worth it. We were camped at the beach for a week and we opened up the patio and sat in the garage and worked on our laptops for three of those days while our kids and dogs cat on the rap patio.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2013 didnโ€™t come with that option but we use ours with whatever keeps it level, most of the time itโ€™s fire wood stumps ๐Ÿ™‚
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

randot
Explorer
Explorer
Our first toy hauler did not have one and we didn't care, but when we upgraded the new TH had one and we use it all the time. Great for the dogs (GSDs) and we have found many places to point it directly at the wonderful view. Sit drinking coffee in the zero gravity chairs and then just walk back through garage for a refill or grab a snack.
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
2013 Voltage 3200 EPIC II
Two GSDs and toys

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have friends with a side mounted one. Makes a great place to set up the buffet line but otherwise...no the really don't use it.

As long as the ground isn't a swampy mess, why wouldn't you just set up your chairs on the ground?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I used mine once to put a TV on it to watch a football game while still hanging out at camp. Outside of that I've never used it. My brother used his when backed against a river once, but other than that he has the setup in his garage at home and doesn't bring the sides. I have another buddy who let's his dogs hang out on it.

Mine didn't come with the sides but came with the cables and stronger door. Perfect for us as I'd never use it, we always sit around the fire.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a toy Hauler but each time I see those Patio option's, I tell myself that if I did have a 5th wheel/Toy Hauler, I'd have one of those. My type of camping(non ATV/ATC), a patio would be very welcome both for the wife and I plus the dog's.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our latest TH came with the patio option and the sliding door for when the ramp is down. Both have been removed and are in storage. This is our 3rd TH and we have not found a need for the patio. I did hang on to the cable kit just in case we did want to put the ramp out and sit under the awing. We do use the awing to keep the sun off the motorcycle seat.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Our TH wasn't designed with a ramp/patio, but by adding a cable kit, we made it one. There's no fence around it, so that first step is a big one, but we do use it all the time as a patio.

It is a great place to sit and enjoy the view, and the dogs enjoy sunning on the patio during the day. We also have the curtain wall and use that as well.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Just mentioned this in your other thread, but we love the patio for our 3 dogs. We have the whole "patio kit" with the mesh walls, overhead awning, etc., so it's great for the dogs since they can sit outside without having to be tied up, or in a pen. The patio is also awesome for people watching at music festivals, if you do that kind of thing.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a toy hauler but have a rear deck on Sierra 360PDEK and use all of the time. Our dog has a bad hip and he has issues with steps so he lays on the deck for hours at a time. Depending on where we stay will also set up our smoker on it. Always have a chair out there and I enjoy sitting out there as well watching the world go by.

With that being said, our next FW will not have a deck as it has limited us to certain spots to camp. With the deck down I'm at 50' long so spots are limited
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
This is a manufacturer patio with fencing. While it looks neat, I am just not sure how often it would be used and can I justify the extra money.

Y-Guy
I made my own with our Raptor, used it a couple of times. If I was backed up to a nice river or ocean beach I'd use it more, but that just wasn't how we camped. I don't think I'd spend a couple grand on one though.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon