cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Choosing An RV mattress for my Camper!

Taylor90
Explorer
Explorer
The mattress that came stock with our travel trailer is not very comfortable. It's too firm so that I can not sleep well on it. It even causes back pain sometimes. Anyone suggest me with a great value mattress short queen? Look forward to your replies and a comfortable night sleep!
It feels good to be lost in the right direction!
15 REPLIES 15

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure this has been discussed over 50 times! Weekend od 2 week vacation folks have one opinion and those that use their rigs for 5 months to full time have another. We are the latter and the mattress in our TT is the same one we have at home. No foam multi layer residential premium mattress. period
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd get a full memory foam mattress and not a topper. We couldn't stand the OEM torture mattress that came with our 1st TT. Bought an 8" memory foam mattress on sale at a mattress shop when were we out on a camping trip. Man, is it comfortable or what. We sleep better on it than our expensive memory foam mattress in the house. Shortened it with a bread knife on a picnic table in the CG. Now on our 3rd TT, we kept the mattress and it's been an excellent investment. Can't remember the thickness of the integral memory foam layer on top.

Memory foam mattresses can add more weight and throw off the balance of the gas struts in under-bed storage. I had to relocate and re-jig ours a bit so the lid would stay up on it's own. Note that there are some low quality memory foam mattresses & toppers out there. We had a topper at home that failed and got it replaced under warranty and then that failed too in short order. Might be a good idea to buy from a reputable vendor. Costco would be good because of their excellent returns policy.

We kept the old failed topper out of the house and cut it up into dog bed size pieces for the TT. However, our dog has the habit of chewing into to it once in a while. The other day he was pulling out big chunks and making a huge mess. I guess he's sending us a message to get rid of it 'cuz it really sucks, lol?

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
We bought an unfolding memory foam from Costco, $299. Awesome. Isolates movement so when one of us turns over or gets up, the other person canโ€™t feel it. However itโ€™s on the firm side and we felt our original mattress was terribly soft.

Taylor90
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Mattress store near you. Pick the one you like best.

Tried many near me and none had a short queen

After reading reviews of several competing products, I, at last, decided to buy this Zinus Ultima mattress from Amazon (instead of at mattress store) and I am VERY happy with my decision. My only hesitation was that the space for the mattress in my teardrop trailer was 2" too narrow, although the length (short queen) was perfect. Then I found someone with the same problem who used an electric knife to cut his mattress to size. Although I don't know what brand his was, it looked like mine, so I decided to take a chance. Yesterday was the day my mattress went on the operating table. I waited for a couple of hours until it had expanded to its full size and then I was able to cut it to just the right size and get it into my trailer. My only concern was that I would not be able to bend the mattress after cutting in order to fit it into a small height door on the trailer, but with the help of my son and daughter, it went in perfectly. Next came the comfort test. I had my son, my daughter, my wife and myself all try it out. We all agreed that it was very comfortable and would provide a good night sleep. Here are the detailed review about this Zinus Ultima that makes me to buy it.
It feels good to be lost in the right direction!

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Dynasty Deluxe 10" memory foam mattress for my previous trailer. When I bought my current Jayco 23RB, I moved the Dynasty Deluxe to the Jayco. It sleeps very well. The 10" is pretty heavy. If I had it to do over, I'd probably get a 7" model. I suspect it would sleep quite well also.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
verlo.com
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We had a short queen in our TT we opted for a full size the only thing I have to do is lift the mattress so it rests on the dresser when closing. Works for us and we bought a very good mattress for our unit. Why would you not sleep on a mattress less then the one at home. We use our TT for 5 to 6 months each year and sleeping on foam is a loser to us we go top cabin for the 1/3 of our lives sleeping.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Don't buy any short queen mattress if you can avoid it ... instead, if you can, extend the bed platform so it will accommodate a full length 80" queen bed. Not only will it be much more comfortable but you'll have many more choices in mattresses.

Not to mention a greater selection of fitted sheets...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
The Original Mattress Factory store will make them your size. Don't know if any are near you.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Mattress store near you. Pick the one you like best.

Tried many near me and none had a short queen
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We used a 4" memory foam + pillow top topper for a long time. We ultimately opted for a Sleep Number for the camper and haven't looked back. Just moved it from the old camper to our new one. ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
I got one of those 10" memory foam mattresses from samsclub.com. It's one of those mattresses in a box that expands when you open it up. Cost me $200 and was delivered free to my door. Slept on it for the first time this weekend and so far I'm very pleased.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I added a 4 inch topper--2 inches of memory foam and 2 inches of padding. It much improved the feel of the mattress. Cost was $129 at Big Lots.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Taylor90 wrote:
Anyone suggest me with a great value mattress short queen? Look forward to your replies and a comfortable night sleep!

Don't buy any short queen mattress if you can avoid it ... instead, if you can, extend the bed platform so it will accommodate a full length 80" queen bed. Not only will it be much more comfortable but you'll have many more choices in mattresses.

Extending a Bed Platform (5 pics)
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380