cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving trailer for six months in a hot location ?

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be leaving our trailer for six months and I was wondering if any one who does this worries about the toilet water trap and the sink trap drying up.
I was thinking of putting pink stuff in the traps and a goodly amount in the toilet similar to winterizing.

Thoughts ?

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
5 REPLIES 5

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Some of this will depend on where you're storing the trailer. From my experience this is what I did. I never left the vents or windows open. If by mistake one was left open I came back to a rig that was full of dirt and little bitty bugs. What I did do was leave the stove vent unlocked so if the rig did developed pressure it had a way to vent out.

I filled the toilet up to the very top with water and placed plastic wrap over it. When I used vegetable oil I came back to a gooey mess. In the sink drains I did use vegetable oil, making sure I did not spill any around the drain, but directly into it. Again to avoid the gooey mess.

Covered the tires, used aluminum foil over the outside furnace ports (to keep bugs out.) I should also have put a cover on the AC unit, but never did. Leave the fridge open, and drained all the water out of the system.

On edit:

I see you have FL in your sig. I also was in a humid location so I placed some trays of non clumping cat litter out, three big tubs of damp rid, and a couple of trays of charcoal. Trays (dish pans really) came from the dollar store and got thrown out in the fall with the Damp rid. Placed crumbled up newspaper in cabinets (humidity again.) I also used Borax in out of the way places, mostly on the floor under drawers. The Borax was in case cockroaches found the rig. Just because yours doesn't have them, doesn't mean the one park next to you is free of them.

The best thing is to ask the local people what they do for that location.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would put some vegetable oil in the toilet and the sink. This is what I do with my hunting 5th wheel. It sets unused for months sometimes, so I drain the water out of the toilet bowl and put an inch to inch and a half of vegetable oil in it (help lube the seals too). Oil floats on water and won't evaporate so a half cup in your sink would form a barrier over any water in the trap and keep it from evaporating. The vegetable is environmentally friendly and won't hurt the pipes or tank. I also crack a vent and a couple windows for ventilation.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
I used spray silicone on the toilet seal. The amount I used just covered the the seal.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
pink stuff will evaporate slower.. keeping the toilet seal from drying out.
sink traps.... so not as much needed

keep a few windows open a LITTLE.. and/or roof vents... a small amount..

Air movement is good...

my opinion.

Fill ziploc bags with water and put over drain opening, fill large bag with water and place over seal in toilet. Prop open refrigerator doors and crack vents open.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
pink stuff will evaporate slower.. keeping the toilet seal from drying out.
sink traps.... so not as much needed

keep a few windows open a LITTLE.. and/or roof vents... a small amount..

Air movement is good...

my opinion.