cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bird feeder questions

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering getting a suction cup window bird feeder. Does anyone know if this is a no no due to mice? I have a sealed underside but don't want to push my luck. Does anyone have any experience with this?(I've seen plenty of rvs with standing feeders 15-20ft from rig but I am wondering about having it at the rv)
13 REPLIES 13

"Dyes their butt, making them a target"?????? Hmmmmm, red dye definitely isn't recommended, but question the validity of the 'butt problem' (urban myth)?. https://www.thespruce.com/is-red-dye-harmful-to-hummingbirds-386578

Michael_Shatto
Explorer
Explorer
Don't buy cheap seed.
Birds toss the seeds they won't eat and, unless you have ground eaters that will eat them, you attract critters.
Buy the right seed for the birds where you are and you'll actually spend less.

Also adding red to hummingbird food only dyes their butt, making it a target. They go for the feeder flower, not the bottle of food.

Enjoy your hobby.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
ANTS!!!! OMG I hate those suckers ๐Ÿ™‚ We do all we can to avoid bringing those beggars to the site ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Ants will also find a way to get to the sugar water... using your RV as a road. However, they are certainly enjoyable to watch.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
wasps love the sugar water and some squirrels will be attracted to it. my mom had a few squirrels do acrobatic acts to get at that hummer feeder ๐Ÿ™‚

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. NPs aren't a worry for me. for the reasons listed I will skip it or perhaps do a hummingbird feeder only (I would imagine no critter risk since tthere are no seeds/nuts only sugar water). Don't suppose there are mini hummingbird horror stories?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Yep... you'll draw in the critters and yes, national parks do not allow them.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are snow birders and one of our neighbors has one attached to their window and have no problems at all.

If it is attached to a window, I doubt if you would have any problem with mice, since they can't climb on glass.

I feed the birds when we are at home, and keep the seeds in a large plastic trash barrel in my work shop. One time I left the cover off overnight and was greeted with a mouse down inside the barrel trying to climb up the slippery side. It could not do it

I think it is a neat idea and say -go for it !

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Another fact to consider.

Most national forest and state parks prohibit feeding the animals. All national parks do.

Bird feeders attract invasive species of birds, and detract from the birds place in the natural spreading of seeds of wild flowers. They can also make birds less capable of finding food in the wild.

Lastly, unless the seed you use is made up locally, you will be introducing invasive species of plants into the area. Not all seeds will be eaten, some will fall on the ground. Others will not be digested and spread by the birds.

In general the feeding of wild animals, including birds, is detrimental to the long term health of the animals and the local environment.

Though I must say that doesnโ€™t stop my wife from carrying a bird feeder. The only part of the argument Iโ€™ve won was to keep the feeder 25 feet from the rig to hopefully keep the rats with designer tails out of the rig.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would not do it!
We never had problems with rodents before but after the DW got a feeder we sure did. Exterminator said it was the worst thing we could do.
After $7000 worth of damage to the crawl space of out house, my wife finally got rid of the feeder.
I have bait traps set up but since the BF has gone we have had nothing under the house.

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Ever see a squirrel that found it's way into a camper. Seeds attract squirrels too and once they find seeds they are clever enough to determine that big box it's attached to may have some goodies in it. Plus birds poop! I can just imagine what they can do to your roof.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with one on a window, look into a screen suspended from the window. There are many bird that don't feed from feeders.

Something like this but suspended by suction cups on the window.

This keeps most of the feed off the ground.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
If you sit in one place very long, NOT a good idea, for the reason you stated.

Your underside seal might not be as good as you think it is. And those little varmints can climb up on the roof too.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"