cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-10 W from NOLA to Houston

quiltlady
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone traveled I-10 west from LA to Houston recently? We will be leaving NOLA and taking I-10 to about Winnie and heading south to catch the ferry to Galveston.How is the road and traffic? We heard there was some construction.
Thanks for the feedback
10 REPLIES 10

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
1-10 around Beaumont and orange have been under construction since its first day and seems like it will be until the end of mankind.
There is really not much of an easy way around the construction from mile 171 to 166 on 10. It is pretty easy to drive I-55 north to I-12 west and that will merge back with I-10 West. If you go this route stop at Middendorf’s Restaurant at a village called Manchac. It’s on the elevated portion of the highway. Trust me and take the exit because they don’t use signs. It’s soooooo worth it.
West bound on 10 at Baton Rouge crossing the little bridge is always crowded. It will get worse soon since a widening project is starting.
Basically there is no really good way to get through this mess. Best bet is go through between 9am and 3pm. (midnight is good too) but fortunately BR is not that big. Decent traffic info on 1150am if there is an “incident” somewhere.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Tuesday this week. Eastbound.

From Lake Charles to Lafayette. Very good shape. A few bridges have some seams that bounce.

I-210 around Lake Charles - quick and easy to avoid I-10 bridge construction

TX border to I-210 - fair, typical of swampy construction (no ability of the sub-soil to hold the road base from sinking. No bedrock below road for several hundred feet)

Orange, TX to TX/LA border - restricted alternate lanes due to construction. Eastbound is HORRIBLE with cracked pavement. Tougher than the drive on the elevated section near Baton Rouge. I don’t know about the westbound side but a 5er at the Flying J at Orange was arguing about a wheel broken by “the terrible pavement and construction debris” on the westbound section.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

quiltlady
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you one_strange_texan for your you perfect directions for avoiding I-10 traffic and construction. We followed them yesterday and are now sitting in Galveston on the beach after a very nice and uneventful trip. Thank you.

quiltlady
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your responses. Great information.

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Construction on the Atchafalaya Bridge, narrow lanes & lane shifts. Very rough road on I-10 through Sulphur even if you take I-210 around Lake Charles. Construction on I-10 through Orange right after you reach Texas.

I have started going on US190/LA12/TX12 north of I-10 from just east of Baton Rouge to Vidor, TX to avoid this. I jump over to US190 at LA415 at Port Allen and TX12 rejoins I10 in Vidor. You do go through some towns along the way, but I find it less stressful than the narrow interstate lanes.

There is still construction with narrow lanes on I10 near Winnie involving various sections of eastbound and westbound at various intervals. The only way to avoid this is catching US90 in Beaumont then taking FM365/FM1406 south at Nome to catch TX124 in Winnie for the Bolivar ferry.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
There is construction between the Atchafalaya basin bridge and Lafayette. They are maintaining two lanes but with shifts at various locations. This will be ongoing for several years.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Construction has started on widening I-10 from LA 73 exit to Highland Rd exit just east of Baton Rouge. Both lanes are open from about 6am to 9pm then only 1 land open at night. http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/announcement.aspx?key=16212

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I-10 thru LA sux. It's got to be the worst section of I-10 that we've been on, a very rough road..

YES, I Agree, that section of I-10 sux, and a tire killer.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I-10 thru LA sux. It's got to be the worst section of I-10 that we've been on, a very rough road..
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
There is construction on the approach for the I-10 bridge in Lake Charles going onthe next few months, best option is to take the I-210 bypass around Lake Charles it only adds a couple of miles. I think there is also still construction going on in Beaumont. I think there may still be some construction around the exit in Winnie though it has been a few months since I last drove that section of I-10.