Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boston to Outer Banks

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
We are planning our first BIG trip in our brand new Class C Coachman Concord 300DS in August. We are hoping to head to the Outer Banks NC. Does anyone have a suggested route ? are there reasons why you chose a particular route? Or places to stay away from ? Can we go on the Chesapeake Bay / Bridge Tunnel ? Thanks in advance for any tips you might have for our travels down there !
Sarah
2018 Coachman Concord 300DS
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me
22 REPLIES 22

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. We went that way to OBX but we live on LI so not sure how far you will go in first day. The eastern shore is accessed through route 13 or 113 and is a step back in time. On the Eastern Shore we have stayed at Toms Cove in Chincotegue VA, 8 hours from Eastern LI, and Cherrystone in Cheriton 9 hrs from Eastern LI. Cherrystone is 11 miles north of the Bay Bridge. (If you have kids, you may never leave there!)Then South over the bridge into Norfolk where we took 17 to OBX. We stayed at Camp Hatteras in Waves on the ocean side. the CG spans the road so bay side for sunsets, jet skiing, paddle board etc, ocean for beach. We stayed just a couple sites away from the beach entrance and could here the ocean every night. There is no view as the dunes are high. It was expensive then $85/nite plus a cable charge for tv, but we would go again. DM me fo rother suggestions if needed. Happy Trails. Im jealous...
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
campkodiak23 wrote:
my hubby feels that we can make it from Boston to Outer banks in one day .. I think he is nuts ... Thoughts ??

At a steady turnpike speed, with little traffic and no rest stops, that's a 12-13 hour drive. True, with 24 hours in a day you can do the trip "in a day" but it ain't gon' be no vacation.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
campkodiak23 wrote:
my hubby feels that we can make it from Boston to Outer banks in one day .. I think he is nuts ... Thoughts ?? Also .. if we were to pull into a Cracker Barrel or Cabela's and it's after hours ... is that ok ??? Don't you usually have to ask permission ?

Yeah, he's nuts. It's 681 miles Boston to Rodanthe down the Delmarva and 750 through Baltimore/DC. We do 250-300 miles a day. Stopping for fuel, lunch, walk the dog etc and you'll only average 50 mph. I think we stopped twice on the way to OBX.

Use freecampsites.net to find Cabela's and Cracker Barrels, etc and what you should do if you want to stay there over night.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
to CBshoestring NOT looking forward to a LONG bumpy ride.. might go WAY Out ??? and avoid all the bumps ?? like head out to albany and then head south ???
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks EVERYONE ..... Here's the thing... our first ever "trip" in our new class C ( first time driving one) was on the ride home for 2 hours on Mass Pike .. WOW .. prob the most windy day of the year ! ( Felt like it ) anyway .. my hubby feels that we can make it from Boston to Outer banks in one day .. I think he is nuts ... Thoughts ?? Also .. if we were to pull into a Cracker Barrel or Cabela's and it's after hours ... is that ok ??? Don't you usually have to ask permission ?
Be nice .. this is all new to us.. thanks !!
You have all been amazing with tips on routes !!!!!!
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
My vote goes

90W,84W,91S,691W,84W,81S t0 66 and 17 back to 95. The 91/691 back to 84 is to avoid Hartford.

I'm going north. Your directions are for southbound, right? I think Jerry did the same thing.

Thanks,
Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
My vote goes

90W,84W,91S,691W,84W,81S t0 66 and 17 back to 95. The 91/691 back to 84 is to avoid Hartford.

Have to run too far north/west, IMHO, to justify I-88.

Went thru Waterbury twice yesterday (north and south)...still a mess. Will not be completed any time soon.

Be prepared for a rough ride. 84 in CT is bad enough... NY and PA is horrible.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
... if I'm going out I-84 to PA. Last time I used this route the traffic on I-84 in Waterbury was terrible.

May I join in? I'm heading to Littleton/Lowell area from Wilkes-Barre. My GPS has me taking the I-84 route y'all are discussing. It also gives me the option of going north on I-87 to pick up I-90. This adds about 40 miles to the trip, but would it be easier (less stressful?) to take this route? Or do I need mentally to plan for traffic and suck it up and ride it out on I-84?

Thanks,
Teach

Teach, by time you get to I-87, you're already passed the wose part of I-84. Just stay on I-84.

Alternate route - Mass Pike/I-90 to I-88 then I-81 south to Wilkes.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all this info !!!
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
campkodiak23 wrote:
Thanks Teach ! ( I am a preschool teacher ) what do / did you teach ?!

Sounds like a great alternative.. will check it out! Any suggestions on one campground over the other ? and why ?

Also, I feel silly asking this, but will the wind blown sand bother our brand spanking new Class C ?

Is there a non-touristy thing to do that not many people know about ? Would love to get some tips from you if you have frequented OBX often !! Thanks in advance !
The sand won't be a problem unless there's a hurricane. Several of us have recommended campgrounds. We prefer State and federal parks with large sites. Frisco National park Campground fit the bill. No hookups but nice large isolated sites. Right across from the entrance is a store with gas. Short drive to Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum and the Free ferry to Oracoke. The Life Saving Museum in Rodanthe is really neat. https://www.outerbanks.org/listing/chicamacomico-lifesaving-station-historic-site/259/

campkodiak23
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Teach ! ( I am a preschool teacher ) what do / did you teach ?!

Sounds like a great alternative.. will check it out! Any suggestions on one campground over the other ? and why ?

Also, I feel silly asking this, but will the wind blown sand bother our brand spanking new Class C ?

Is there a non-touristy thing to do that not many people know about ? Would love to get some tips from you if you have frequented OBX often !! Thanks in advance !
2017 Ford F150
1 hubby & me

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
campkodiak23 wrote:
Thanks in advance for any tips you might have for our travels down there.

Hi, Sarah. I live in Richmond and go to OBX often. If you come down I-95 in Virginia and want to avoid the summer traffic hassles and take a more scenic and relaxing route, stay on I-95 south of Fredericksburg then take I-295 south but don't get off on I-64. Cross the James River and exit onto US 460. Four-lane road straight down to where you turn more south for the OBX. This takes you through country ham and peanut country.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
... if I'm going out I-84 to PA. Last time I used this route the traffic on I-84 in Waterbury was terrible.

May I join in? I'm heading to Littleton/Lowell area from Wilkes-Barre. My GPS has me taking the I-84 route y'all are discussing. It also gives me the option of going north on I-87 to pick up I-90. This adds about 40 miles to the trip, but would it be easier (less stressful?) to take this route? Or do I need mentally to plan for traffic and suck it up and ride it out on I-84?

Thanks,
Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Rt 13 through the Chesepeake Bay bridge Tunnel is a good route. We stayed at Frisco campground at the south end of the island. It is a National Park Campground so if you have the Senior Pass it's only $13 a night. Large sites,short walk to the beach.