cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap Roof Sealant

Mbiallas
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! I have a late 1990's camper whose roof needs some attention. The camper sits in the woods and serves as a home away from home at a hunting camp. It's a nice enough camper but I don't care to drop a lot of money on the roof. She is a 38 footer and I have seen prices of $300 and up for the proper sealant. Honestly I don't care if I use the proper stuff or not. The roof has been patched in the past and I just need something to get me through a few years. We used some elastomeric stuff several years ago from Home Depot and it seemed to work pretty well. I don't know what kind of material the roof is made put of figured I would ask around and see what you all thought of that type of sealant.
6 REPLIES 6

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond is the best patch solution but you'll need to clean the area to hospital grade. If the rig is in the woods, it probably has a good skin of algae and maybe, moss on it.

The easiest cleaning solution for me is Jasco Prepaint Conditioner. It is a phosphate replacement product but it eliminates oxidation just like TSP. I apply it with a garden sprayer, wait, maybe brush, then respray and rinse.

Elastomeric latex roof paint is what I'd use for your budget. I sprayed two coats on my aluminum roofed trailer that is stored outside, six years ago. It is dirty right now (also has a bit of snow) but is hanging in there well.

BTW, a leaking RV roof is the #1 cause of early death, IMO.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mbiallas wrote:
Hi all! I have a late 1990's camper whose roof needs some attention.

That's a pretty vague question. What "attention" does it need?

If its simply caulk at the seams with the sidewalls then I suggest Dicor no-sag or Eternabond tape. Dicor is cheaper, Eternabond is better.

If you have a tear, Eternabond is best.

If your white reflective material is chalked off, it doesn't really matter, it was only there to look nicer and reflect more heat. The black rubber is the true waterproof material.

If your roof is leaking, you need to post way more information.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Bazooka Bubble gum if you are that worried about cost
Dennis Hoppert

MrWizard
home depot would be 'Henerys White elastomeric' $28-$30 gallon

i don't think there is anything cheaper that will actually work/last more than one winter if that long, Henrys is decent, but not the best, good for a couple of years
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
If a tape solution will work, try Eternabond tape.
It's like duct tape on steroids.
Dicor LAP self leveling is easy to apply, and might save you some time, effort, and money, if it's just some cracks and seals that are worn out.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn’t know since “cheaping out” on RV roofs is...foreign to me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad