cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip routing and altitudes

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for the best tool to determine altitude along a planned route. Health issues dictate we avoid a lot of stays over 4000'. Traveling through not as much of a problem. what is available that is easy to use? THX TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD
14 REPLIES 14

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
The Garmin 770 that we use has an altitude setting on it that we just bring up when we set a route. It will show to the right of the screen while on the move. Not sure that helps too much with planning as planning a route on these things is a PITA, but it's a good way to see the elevations on the route when moving.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Google Earth Pro has a profile feature that show elevation and grades. Set a route, right click on the blue line and select profile. Looks like this;

This would appear to answer the Question, so as to Know the elevation on any taken route then use and altitude App to manage the day to day info.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a simple app on my phone called My Elevation.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geographers may prefer the term elevation, but altitude is widely used in the same way. Altimeters are barometers with a movable height scale. It measures the air pressure difference relative to some reference - such as the airport that they just left. Portable (or car mounted) altimeters require the same calibration. True height above the ground requires radar or laser measurements.

GPS units or apps mostly (if not all) use the term altitude, meaning distance above a reference geoid.

For the purpose of this thread, it's actually air pressure that matters (actually, available oxygen). We talk about shortness of breath at high altitudes, high altitude sickness, or adjustments needed for high altitude baking. Map elevation is, in a sense, a proxy for the value really matters.

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the useful info. I am aware of some but had not heard of others, including Flattestroute; I will check it out. The more tools, the better. THX TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Google Earth Pro has a profile feature that show elevation and grades. Set a route, right click on the blue line and select profile. Looks like this;

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
A topographical map would be one low-tech approach. Google maps in terrain mode shows that (as was mentioned). USGS maps and DeLorme atlases are also topographic maps.

When traveling, many GPSs can show you the current elevation (or altitude, if they're above the ground).

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We have the exact same issue. I use flattestroute.com. Just pass your mouse pointer over the graph which appears below the resulting map. It will pinpoint that spot on the map.

I also just google "Sedona AZ elevation" and the number comes right up.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use Google Earth. Put your marker on the route and it will give you both altitude you are viewing from and the ground level altitude
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most maps color National Forests, and in the West those are mostly mountains. Print maps also show the height of passes. Pass heights are also available on the state DOT websites, especially if they track winter pass conditions. In WA passes range from around 3000ft (I90) to 5000 ft (WA 20, Sherman).

Google Maps in Terrain mode shows mountains and valleys, and at certain zoom levels shows altitude contours.

GPS units show altitude as well as position. If you have a smart phone, even without data plan, you have GPS.

Washington is all below 5000 ft except for a few passes.

In Oregon, Lakeview bills itself as the highest town at 4800, Bend is 4000. OR138 on the north side of Crater Lake is, I believe the highest pass at 5600. Crater Lake rim is 7000.

In California, the Sierras passes get above 5000. Reno is 4500 (Wiki), Lake Tahoe 6200. Much of the NE corner of CA is above 4000.

In Idaho, the mountains get above 7000 (Stanley), but Lewiston on the Snake is lowest, with surrounding plateaus around 2-3000. Boise and most I84 is just a bit higher.

Denver is known as the Mile high city; that's on the wester edge of the Great Plains. Grand Junction on the west side is 4500.

I80 across WY spends a lot of time in Great Basin, the continental divide in that area. So a lot of that is at the 4000+ altitude.

Yellowstone Lake is about 7000.

I40 from Flagstaff to Gallup is relatively high; again crossing a broad divide.

On a cross country trip, to minimize time above 4000, I'd cross Montana or southern Arisona/New Mexico. In between you'd spend at least half a day above that.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aircraft have altitudes - roads and landscapes have elevations. The reasons you don't see many of the "altimeters" for the dash like we used to have in our old Jeeps is that any modern GPS will give you the elevation by just tapping the vehicle icon. Flattestroute.com as suggested is a good tool. I also find The Mountain Directory (East and West versions) to be very useful. You can also find elevations on Google Earth. Finally, if you are interested in a particular city, just look up that city on Wikipedia. In the little data window over on the right hand side of the Wikipedia page, the elevation will be listed along with the other stats.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
Try this:

Flattest Route
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
TANDDANDBIGE wrote:
I am looking for the best tool to determine altitude along a planned route. Health issues dictate we avoid a lot of stays over 4000'. Traveling through not as much of a problem. what is available that is easy to use? THX TB

H E R E - flattestroute.com is a very useful tool. Plug in start point and end point and you'll get a graph showing the elevations. Check it out ahead of time as you plan your trip, or use it as on your smart phone as you travel. I also have an elevation app downloaded to my phone so I can check elevations any place I happen to be.

One caveat - do not let the various spikes you'll see intimidate you. Keep in mind that elevation changes could be over the course of many miles. And depending on the route and destination, there could be a lot of flatness.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to see altimiters that fastened to the dash with a suction cup. Try the auto section in a major retailer.