cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Chevy 4500 Instrument Panel Issue

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so a new problem popped up on our recent trip. The instrument panel goes completely dead for a few seconds along with the turn signals, flashers and AC compressor! This happens after about three to four hours of driving. All the gauges and the digital readout will shut down as if the ignition was turned off. If the the turn signals or flashers are on at that moment, they will also stop. The AC compressor seems to go off at the same time but the vent fan stays on...
It is at the Chevy dealer now but they tell me there are no codes and they are at a stand-still with it. I was able to video this failure during the trip, so they agree it happens, they just don't know why!
Anyone hear of, or had a similar issue with an Express van? I've search and found a recall on earlier models but nothing on the 2014 and later.
Hate to throw parts at it but, we're close to telling them to replace the instrument panel and the body control unit at our expense.
Gary
14 REPLIES 14

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
The radio in my 14 Chev turns on at random times, doesn’t seem to affect anything else.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it turned out to be a DUAL model XDVD3201. Looking into Pioneer or Kenwood as a replacement. Will be calling Crutchfield in a few minutes.

Gary

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are its a Jensen RV radio, but the CAN-BUS issue can happen with any aftermarket radio, in any car with CAN-BUS radio connectivity. Which is pretty much everything, since that's how the speed sensitive volume control works.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
It’s a 2014 chassis...Can’t recall the radio brand. I’ll have to update you tomorrow.

Gary

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
What year chassis, what model radio?
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Update: We will be picking up the Coachmen in the morning. The dealer claims the radio is the problem. They rewired it once before because they claimed the upfitter did not do it correctly. Now they claim the radio itself is causing issues on the CanBus that is causing the body control unit to loose communication with the instrument cluster. Their fix is to disconnect it...which I'm okay with. This radio has an external "interface module" that adapts it to the GM circuitry.
This weekend I will pull the dash and check connectors, grounds etc. I'll also be looking at the solder joints on the cluster as some earlier models suffered from "cold" solder joints. Once convinced all of the above is okay, we'll be in the market for a new radio/backup camera...
Thanks for the help on this,
Gary

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Brian,
I’ll add that to the list of tasks when we get it back from the dealer later this week.
Thanks for the advise,
Gary

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen many posts of bad battery post connectors and cables from AC Delco.
Seems the battery connectors could be bad, even if they don't appear to be. Take a close look at possibly replacing the pair with something other than OEM.
Brian

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS,
As a matter of fact, the same Chevy dealer had the radio out 12 months ago to replace a wire harness that they claim was damaged by the upfitter! Cost us $900 for the parts and labor. The symptom then was everything but the engine would quit for several minutes or until I restarted the engine. Back then, the dealer had GM tech support involved to sort out the failure codes. Up until last week, it has been flawless over about 11k miles. I do believe something could have worked its way loose during this time though.
Thanks for the reminder.
Gary

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Like JD said need to do the wiggle test, have you had any work done on it in past ? Radio install, gps, anything where the dash panels had been removed to get access to replace/install said above ?

On ours 2005 , had a rear camera head unit set-up installed in the dash and when the dash panels were removed and wires were unconnected and tapped into the wire butt connector was plugged together but not clipped/snapped back together.
Which caused the cluster to do just like what you are describing ...

The dash panels were removed and we started wiggling the wire harnesses and found the culprit !

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
I downloaded the manuals...Thanks for the link. Pretty detailed, I’ll be busy reading through those!
Gary

ronfisherman
Good place for GM electrical is GM Upfitter manuals.
https://www.gmupfitter.com/pdflists/view/34
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
JD, thanks for the suggestion. Hope to pick it up later this week. If nothing was done by the dealer, I’ll pull the dash myself and try your suggestion.

Regards,
Gary

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Many times, a dashboard/instrument cluster will have many inputs (and one might be loose, calls for a "wiggle test" on everything you can find), but ONLY ONE GROUND.

See if you can find where it Grounds and if that connection is tight.

This Link may help you
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB