cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling System

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting ready to change the Belts,Hoses,Coolant, and thermostat in my 2007 CAT C-7 350hp. Anything i should know or be aware of before I tackle a job like this? I have never done this before. ALSO, anyone know the cooling system capacity? Seems i cant find it anywhere and I want to have everything I need before I start this project.
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby
5 REPLIES 5

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
badboy368 wrote:
...anyone know the cooling system capacity? Seems i cant find it anywhere and I want to have everything I need before I start this project.

I'm about to tackle the same project this Spring. I also could not find the coolant capacity, but in my Caterpillar book it stated that because the Manufacturers have different sized radiators installed, they cannot state the capacity for all applications. 5 to 8 gallons would be a good range to assume. And if you then get the concentrate, you're talking 1/2 of that, so probably 3-4 gallons of the actual coolant.

If you are going to run a cleaning solution through after you drain, you'll know the capacity based on that fill to flush the system in prep for the final draining and then coolant add.

Also, if you get the recommended Caterpillar (or Cat Approved) Extended Life Coolant (ELC) you don't need additives...it's all already in there. I got Rotella's version, which meets Cat ELC Standards. Fortunately I can get it for under $13/gallon through my son-in-law's trucking company shop since they buy it by the pallet load. Online it was running around $30 a gallon or $100 for a 5 gallon pail.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Use the ELC (extended life) if appropriate for the 350 CAT. I've used it on my CAT 3176b....you might check Filter Barn( I get all my filters from them including the Racor desiccant air filter(the one that hiss's that keeps moisture out of your "air" system). Belts and some hoses are available thru Amazon(just got my Gates supertine belt from them). Anyways...it's a good days work so have at it! Good Luck...
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the coolant additive...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cat site.

midnightsadie
Explorer II