cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATC vs. Quicksilver

jkbeaudoin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new on this forum. I'm looking for a fully aluminum constructed toy hauler. As far as I can tell, only ATC and Quicksilver build them. I'm considering buying either an ATC 25' with a front bedroom or a Quicksilver 26', and living in it for part of the year with my wife. We just sold our house and moved 250 miles to another town and job. I don't want to buy a home in the new town for a year or two, and would rather pay for a toy hauler than rent a home. My wife is completely on board with this idea.

ATC seems to be a little higher quality and has a better floor plan, but the Quicksilver is about $13k lower with similar equipment. I also hear that Livin' Lite will quit building the Quicksilver soon, so if I decide to buy one of those, I will need to order it STAT.

Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? The primary reason I want aluminum is for weight, but I also like the strong "tank" like qualities with aluminum vs wood frame construction.
4 REPLIES 4

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass siding! No metal roof? Wow,they really went south quickly. This is apples and oranges now.As far as tongue weight, toy haulers in general are heavy due to compensation for load in the rear. But, they tow steady as the result. Our 100 gallon water tank is slightly behind the rear axle! When full a straight arrow performance. As its used grey and black are forward. Eliminates sway as the water is used. This is the most stable unit we have owned,and much more predictable than our 28 Airstream safari ever was.

stein4
Explorer
Explorer
I too have been looking at ATC. I stopped by a dealer a couple weeks ago and looked at a 25' front bedroom - the thing that concerned me was tongue weight once loaded. Anyone with an ATC have real numbers?

jkbeaudoin
Explorer
Explorer
I know that the Quicksilver frame is all aluminum, but not sure about the roof surface. The brochure says, "Alpha Superflex Roof w/12 year Limited Warranty (more durable, less chaulking and streaking)"

Also, the Quicksilver just went to Fiberglass siding this year because they say that it's more durable against small impacts such as rocks and baseballs, and won't dent. They say that the aluminum sides dent easily and are nearly impossible to repair.

I know the ATC feels stronger to me when I walk through it, but the ceiling is much lower, not allowing much versatility for furnishing in the back. We would like a couch or dinette under the happijac bed, but there's not enough ceiling clearance to get it up and out of the way to walk under. We want to delete the dinette next to the kitchen and have a couple of swivel chairs there.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Livin lite dropped the all metal roof correct? If so that's a line in the sand for me. Plus many other features make ATC a tough competitor in this segment.