cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting a tv

Lemonhead78
Explorer
Explorer
We own a forest river surveyor hydrid tt. The kind where the beds fold out like tent ends. We only owned it a year now and are pretty much scared to do any mods to it. We haven't even hung a picture yet. Oh wait I put a sticky hook on a wall to hang our keys that's it lol.
This year I want to personalize it to make it our own. First order of business is I'd like to mount a tv. I was bummed when I realized our jenson radio which will plays dvds is outdated and would need a tv with rca cables. No hdmi . I'm surprised by this being its a 2016 trailer. So we're going to just bring our own DVD player. The pic quality will be better anyways and I don't gotta find an old tv to match our old radio.
So sorry for the dragged out question but here it is. It makes me real nervous to mount a tv. Putting holes in the wall ??.
1. Are there regular studs in the wall ?
2. Are the studs weaker/smaller than a regular stud in a house ?
3. Sorry if 1 and 2 are the same questions lol. Has anyone done this and if so any advice would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

Lemonhead78
Explorer
Explorer
The manufacturer said there's a backer next to the dining table. Well that's a very unclear description imo. I can't tell by looking or tapping on the wall where their talking about . I'm starting to think it can't be done

brmiller
Explorer
Explorer
are there "RV specific" tv mounts? or will any small residental mounts work?

I have a 26" vizio that is a spare and want to mount it in our trailer but I don't want to use the wrong mount.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Lemonhead78 wrote:
We own a forest river surveyor hydrid tt. The kind where the beds fold out like tent ends. We only owned it a year now and are pretty much scared to do any mods to it. We haven't even hung a picture yet. Oh wait I put a sticky hook on a wall to hang our keys that's it lol.
This year I want to personalize it to make it our own. First order of business is I'd like to mount a tv. I was bummed when I realized our jenson radio which will plays dvds is outdated and would need a tv with rca cables. No hdmi . I'm surprised by this being its a 2016 trailer. So we're going to just bring our own DVD player. The pic quality will be better anyways and I don't gotta find an old tv to match our old radio.
So sorry for the dragged out question but here it is. It makes me real nervous to mount a tv. Putting holes in the wall ??.
3. Sorry if 1 and 2 are the same questions lol. Has anyone done this and if so any advice would be appreciated.

Backing plate usually marked, BUT BEWARE! The walls are probably 1 inch thick! On my TV, the mounting lag bolts were 2 in long. I had to go buy 3/4 " ones or I would have drilled right through the shower enclosure!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Hybrids are 6 sided vacuum bonded foam. Walls a barely supported by anything. I had a space above above the fridge to put a tv. Since then I phones, tablets, ect have obsoleted televisions.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

westend
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I mounted a 32" screen much like Mike-s describes, a fronter. The plywood panel is long enough to fasten to three studs and is also glued down to the Luan panel (I don't have a wall covering). I mounted the articulating arm mount through the plywood from the back side of the panel into recessed holes to accommodate the bolt heads. When the screen is in use, the plywood isn't visible.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
A "backer" doesn't have to be in back. It can be a "fronter." You can take a piece of plywood, bolt that to the wall using molly bolts. More than just at the corners. I used the shortest ones, but then got longer screws so they'd reach through the 3/4" ply), and then mount the TV bracket to that using countersunk carriage bolts coming through from the back. It just has to be large enough to spread the load. Best if you have vertical room to work with and make it reach near the ceiling where the wall/ceiling joint adds strength. Because, if using an arm mount it will try to pull out at the top so the more height for the "fronter", the less force. Worked for me, it's about 12" wide by 18" tall. Baltic Birch (or "Sande" from a HD/Lowe's) ply looks much better than the common stuff if finished with stain.

Without more detail, further is hard to say. Even if your's has aluminum studs, that probably only applies to exterior walls.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
similar situation, small TT with no labeled TV mount area. I even asked at the dealer before a took the TT home, and there wasn't a ply backer anywhere. There's a cable/sat plug near an outlet, right by the counter top but I don't want to just have a TV on the counter all the day. My solution (haven't done it yet but plan to this season) is to mount the TV to a cabinet, above where the radio is mounted. That way I can access behind the TV and ensure there is a backer and proper support to keep things solid. On my TT it's basically an empty panel with dead space behind it anyway, there's wiring for the radio and antenna in this space.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Lemonhead78 wrote:

Be VERY careful on the length of the lag screws for the TV bracket. Assume your walls are only 1" thick. The Lag bolts for my TV bracket were 1 3/4 long. I almost drilled through and then measured my walls and realized only 1" thick. I would have drilled right through from my bedroom through my shower enclosure! I bought 3/4" lag bolts and everything was fine! BE CAREFUL!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“We haven't even hung a picture yet.“

Did you need another 8x10 glossy of me? Framed? Or can you do that?

I have no confidence in any stud buts me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lemonhead78
Explorer
Explorer
My manual is so worthless. That goes for the coach,the radio and fridge. They give info to model numbers I don't have. And the manual for coach is extremely vague. But there's area for a tv. Unfortunately it's on a very small table which has a whole in it for the cable and power plug to go through and plug in inside the cabinet. I don't want to use this because when laying in bed it's too low to see. I'd like to hang it so it's up higher and can rotate towards he kids and when they fall asleep I can rotate it towards us

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The video I watched at Forest River's Surveyor webpages shows an aluminum stud construction. You probably have at least one wall area that has been "backed out" with suitable TV mounting in mind. An owner's manual may depict that area or a call to Forest River may give you a location.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a space that's defined as the 'entertainment center? If yes, there may a a wood backer to screw the tv mount to. That's how ours is set up.
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L