cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equipping a Cadillac SRX for towing

tgilwright
Explorer
Explorer
I am prepping our 2012 SRX for towing behind a new Tiffin which we are picking up this week. I have installed a baseplate and diode system for the SRX taillights and will be installing wiring for a Brake Buddy. I could use some advice from anyone who has figured out where to penetrate the firewall on the SRX to run the breakaway wires from the cabin to the breakaway switch on the front of the SRX. If you have such a setup, or have done this type of install, please let me know where your wires travel from the interior to the front facia area. Thanks much.
4 REPLIES 4

tgilwright
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the thoughts, folks. I already have a brake buddy so that decision is made. I have consulted the manual about towing. Right now the only possibility I can think of is the out the hood into the door thing, but I'd very much like to keep it inside. I have checked online for help, and in fact found some good videos to show the installation of the baseplate, but nothing about running a few wires. I have viewed a few posts on the Caddy forum that scream out "don't tow it", but if GM says it's OK I must assume that it is, within their prescribed limits. Many others are towing the SRX (mine is a 2012) and have no issues whatsoever. I have the metal auxiliary outlet supplied by Brake Buddy, and I hope to run those two wires along with the breakaway wires. I just have to figure out where. This shouldn't pose this much of a challenge. I just know that if I randomly drill a hole in the firewall I'll perforate something that I shouldn't. That's what usually happens.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Do you already own a Brake Buddy? I ask because we have owned two. Both have worked well and been pretty reliable. Company also offers good tech support. We got ours back when there were less choices than there are now, and we had two vehicles we could use as toads. Those two are gone but we have two more that we cam also use as toads. So, for us, we're invested in only one braking system and that's good.

BUT!!! The In and Out with a BB isn't all that difficult, but it is definitely NOT convenient. For One Toad for One Coach, I'd be looking for something that stays in place. I think BB might even offer one, called Stealth. I have NOT looked into it.

Next, check compatibility. I can't define "active braking" that some late model cars have, but it can affect which braking systems will work.

I found This on a Cadillac Forum and it might help you. But I think it's an earlier SRX.

Notice what they write about pulling fuses and about a direct power connection for the BB. Ever since cars went from high amperage "Lighter Sockets" to low amperage "Power Outlets" BB has seen problems in operation of their units. They therefore sell a Kit to go straight from Battery to a METAL socket for BB to plug into. If you call Tech Support they will send you one free. If you in fact go BB, run that power source along with your Breakaway line.

Can't help with where to pierce the firewall. I've always been able to find a grommet of some kind I could poke a hole through. Just make sure both sides are clear!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

tinkerwithit
Explorer
Explorer
check etrailer and roadmaster web pages. They have vidios for many models that I found very helpful. You also can call roadmaster for tech support.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I "assume" you checked the owner's manual and they give instructions on recreational towing. I did not want to drill thru the firewall on my toad so just ran wiring up under hood, out the door/window pillar for about 6 inches and back into the brake buddy.
bumpy