cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hemp oil- pure or products containing

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
In this months TrailBlazer magazine, there is an article regarding Hemp Oil Products for Pets. I should qualify this by saying that although I grew up in Hollywood in the 60's and 70's, I have never partaken in the leafy green stuff associated with Hemp so I have No first hand experience. I'm thinking this might be a product to use with our 15yo Cavalier Spaniel for specifically arthritis but also the general health benefits.

With this being said, the article suggests a particular brand(Pet Releaf) but I'm more interested in anyone's thoughts on this? Have you used it? Did it help? Dr. Doug? Its just a thought at this point and our old girl does not seem to be in any pain but if it helped her in an way...I'd give it a try. Dosing recommendations would also be appreciated and whether Doggie Treats with Hemp oil supplies enough of a dose to have any benefit?
Thank You for any input....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
6 REPLIES 6

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.....good info. I have been reading most everything I can find and as Dr. Doug says, over-dozing does not seem to be a concern but rather be safe than sorry. I'll try the treats first and see if I notice a difference or affect. If not, I'll move on to something different. Thanks again....
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is "homemade" by a local person...vet has worked with her and approves. It is semi-solid CBD in coconut oil. Kept in fridge, a small portion kept on the kitchen counter. We have a plastic baby syringe and don't use much. 1/4 tsp, more or less, depending on how Fido looks and acts on any particular day.

As far as I know, an overdose of CBD is not an issue. Probably Fido will get sleepy.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

dturm
... we have CBD from hemp which is legal to discuss. Product quality can vary. Dose is 0.1-0.2mg/kg bid. If no effect within 14 days, then raise dose in two week Increments to 0.5mg/kg BID. I like Rx Vitamins product, HempRx.
As in all of medicine we can use more studies. Pretty safe stuff. Try it and see if patient response is noted.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, lots of places, including Amazon carry products(either Hemp oil or dog treats with Hemp in them)....I'm looking for real world use and dosing of the different products? With yours, are you applying the Hemp oil to the doggie treats or are you giving doggie treats already coated?

I suppose I could just order some but the way I understand it, there are methods involved in extracting the oil, some methods better than others for purity issues. "PetReleaf" seems to do things the right way but other companies may also be doing things right too! As I said, I'll probably order a bag of treats with Hemp and see how my girl reacts to one or two a day.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
Medical MJ is made from hemp. Recreational MJ is made from sativa. Hemp has been used for rope and clothing. Our Fido is 15 and has arthritis, a bad knee and dysplasia. She gets medical hemp in coconut oil, 1 or 2x a day. Vet approved and made locally. It works well. She sleeps better and is more active and interested during the day. Do a search for MEDICAL marijuana for pets.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

dturm
There are current studies being done, trying to establish optimum doses, side effects and efficacy. There are anecdotal reports of benefits to animals.

I can't give you doses or recommendations, no experiences to share, but this is something being investigated and being used by some.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV