07 FLHRS
32 REPLIES 32

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
wvabeer wrote:
mike brez wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
It's apparent from the pictures that they were inexpensive and that they hold air. :B

Unlike Michelin with a bunch of sidewall cracks for double the price :E

Yeah, I would never purchase Michelin tire for an RV they are way to expensive for what you get. I have not heard anything bad about Japanese brand Sumitomo. A few owner operators clued me in on these.This was close size to the 255/80 that was factory.
We used to run them on our road tractors. Great tire, never could say that about the Michelin's.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
wvabeer wrote:

That's only paying the price of a tire and without marketing costs and a bunch of other hype and nonsense.
Surely they can't be any good at that price and just a wonder they didn't blow out before you even got away from the tire shop.
After all, everyone knows that only the highest price tire won't blow apart, regardless of what the US gov. approves of, with their DOT approval number on the sidewall...Well I looked at them really mean looking and they didn't bust so I figured I'd keep them. ๐Ÿ˜‰
I love sarcasm.

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
Ironman 275/70R 22.5. Have a friend who owns a trucking company when I told him I bought a motorhome that needed tires. He said we have great luck out of tires the shop foreman found he thought they were Bridgestone he called me back with a price out the door of $250.00 a piece and said the foreman said they were great and getting better mileage and wear than any previous tires they tried. I am happy
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
wvabeer wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
wvabeer wrote:
$1800 for 6

That's only paying the price of a tire and without marketing costs and a bunch of other hype and nonsense.
Surely they can't be any good at that price and just a wonder they didn't blow out before you even got away from the tire shop.
After all, everyone knows that only the highest price tire won't blow apart, regardless of what the US gov. approves of, with their DOT approval number on the sidewall.
Next time, pay triple for Michelins and the only way to go, which will probably be tomorrow or the next day and depending on whether or not you drive the coach. In fact, they might just blow out, while sitting in your driveway.:S:R:E

Well I looked at them really mean looking and they didn't bust so I figured I'd keep them. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wise choice and spoken like a true Mountaineer.
Except for some short stints elsewhere, including the USN, I grew up and spent the first 50yrs in West by God, VA.:C

๐Ÿ˜‰
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
wvabeer wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
wvabeer wrote:
$1800 for 6

After all, everyone knows that only the highest price tire won't blow apart, regardless of what the US gov. approves of, with their DOT approval number on the sidewall.
Next time, pay triple for Michelins and the only way to go, which will probably be tomorrow or the next day and depending on whether or not you drive the coach. In fact, they might just blow out, while sitting in your driveway.:S:R:E

Well I looked at them really mean looking and they didn't bust so I figured I'd keep them. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wise choice and spoken like a true Mountaineer.
Except for some short stints elsewhere, including the USN, I grew up and spent the first 50yrs in West by God, VA.:C
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
wvabeer wrote:
$1800 for 6

1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

soren
Explorer
Explorer
wvabeer wrote:
Mine say made in Japan

Yes. I just put six 19.5s on my rig. $1300 delivered to the tire shop, $150 to mount. Made in Japan, direct shipped from a manufacturer's warehouse and very fresh, less than 90 days old. The brand is highly recommended by several truck tire shops I spoke to. The five year old Goodyear MH tires I tossed were nothing but trouble. One of the fronts had a deep crack running inside the grooves of the tread. I got the rig when the Goodyears were two years old. The handling was flat out scary, and it did a strange little dance as it slowed to a stop. While investigating at a truck shop, the front was off the ground, and the tires were spun with an air spinner. One had severe rivering, and watching the thing slow to a stop was pretty stunning. The state inspection shop, that failed the tires, told me their cost on exact replacements from Goodyear was ridiclously expensive, and they recommended Sumis, or Hankook.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
wvabeer wrote:
$1800 for 6

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Mine say made in Japan
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
kenbert wrote:
, dealer said they are made by Goodyear.

A Simple Search on the inter web came up with this.

โ€œIn 1997, Sumitomo formed a joint venture with Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, by which Goodyear and Sumitomo agreed to manufacture tires for each other's markets, including Dunlop branded tires.โ€

A subsequent article I found says that the venture was dissolved starting in 2016 and continuing for several years.

So know one really knows where your tires come from.

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
I have them on mine, dealer said they are made by Goodyear. Didn't have to balance them and no vibration.
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
What model number tire did you get? I was looking at the web page and I'm not sure which would be the right ones assuming you got all 6 the same.

ST727
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running Samson's on mine. When the time comes for new ones it will either be Samson's or Hankooks.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
Texted my son-in-law, who runs the shop for a trucking company, to see if they had experience with Sumitomos tires and what they were like. Now, trucking applications are different in that they are high miles where most RV tires are going to die from age degenerations well before miles. But he said they make a "decent" tire. They've had good experience with them, though he said that in the long run, they have better experience with Michelins even at the higher cost.

Again, this is probably not something likely in an RV application, but in trucking he said that when the Sumitomos get to about 1/2 tread, they get a "hopping" that cannot seem to be fixed with balancing. This hopping causes uneven tread wear which just causes more hopping and they have to be changed out.

He did mention that they have blowouts on Michelins, but it's usually a tire-pressure related incident. He said that Michelins have softer sidewalls, which provide for a smoother ride, but also make them more sensitive to low-pressure causing heating and blowouts.

I can't say either way...just the experience of someone that sees the results of tires purchased and used in large volumes, but clearly in a different application.

I'm also wondering if the Sumitomos use any UV resistant chemicals in their rubber composition, which can be an important factor in RV applications.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4