cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From Tyler, TX to Pensacola, FL,

kwright
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any alternate roads to take to avoid the major highways, and are there any good Rv parks along the way? Sights to see?
12 REPLIES 12

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
I10 in Louisiana is a bummer. I prefer US49 out of Jackson then I10 fro Gulfport to Pensacola.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I have to say that I've never found any great problem with US 49 except the many traffic signals getting out of Jackson. That is an irritant but it's soon over.

Now the OTHER 49 is I-49 out of Shreveport down to Lafayette. It is a great route as far as I know if you want to go that way.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
What's wrong with 49?
-jbh-

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from Florida, including several days in Pensacola. US 98 west of Pensacola is a two-lane road, but worked well for us after spending several nights at Big Lagoon State Park near Pensacola Naval Air Station. And don't miss the incredible National Naval Aviation Museum on the base. Its collection rivals the Smithsonian and the Pima Air & Space Museums for size and has more World War I and II Navy planes than either of those. We spent half a day there and could have stayed longer! Another place we enjoyed for half a day was the battleship USS Alabama park in Mobile.

Knowing now what we didn't know before the trip, we might have taken US 98/US 84 back to Colorado instead of I-10. The Louisiana part of I-10 is pretty bad and the weather was awful all the way from Baton Rouge to Houston. But we were heading for Kerrville, Texas, to visit relatives and it is on I-10, not on US 84.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
We use US 84 plenty of ACOE and USFS CG's.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Magnolia Branch Wildlife Reserve

A few miles from I65 north of Mobile on Creek tribal land.
Larry

kwright
Explorer
Explorer
Do not take 49 out of Jackson to Hattiesburg, what a nightmare!

kwright
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone taken US 90from Lafayette to slidell

kwright
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the routes, going to try some

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer to stay off the interstate when possible ourselves. Use an old fashioned atlas and find a road. I use my atlas and Google maps all the time and have never been taken down any road that was not OK for towing. I use RVPARKY app for finding campgrounds on our route. Never had a problem with that either.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
And another Yes. Just off the route mentioned above, there is the town of Natchitoches, LA (pronounced NACHA tush) which is worth a visit, even an overnight stop. On the other side of the River there is Natchez, MS with many Ante Bellum homes. Not far off the route near Mobile is the Bellingrath Gardens and right on the route there is the Battleship Alabama. Near Pensacola there is the Naval Air Station and the Gulf Islands National Seashore including the campground at old Fort Pickens.

These are just a few that come to mind. I'm sure there are many others.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Yes and Yes!!!

Just one good example: Take US 64 down to Mt. Enterprise, TX where you could pick up US 84 E all the way to Collins, MS. There take US 49 to Hattiesburg where you pick up US 98 all the way to Mobile.

As for me, I would take I-65 down to I-10 as there is no better way to get on to Pensacola, but you could take US 98 if you are in no hurry at all.

There is a great campground at Vidalia, LA across from Natchez "Riverview". I'll be staying there in May on a trip back from Pensacola (Fort Pickens). Also just off the highway there is Natchez State Park.

We have also camped at Hattiesburg at a nice rural campground--forget the name just now. Same for a rural campground near the MS AL state line, near Wilmer, AL.

This route is very familiar to me I've made it many times. If you have any specific question, PM me and I will try to be of help. I could even give some different route suggestions. I've been many different ways from East Texas to Pensacola and other parts of Florida.

BTW, I'll be stopping in Michigan in June on the way to Ontario.