cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How limiting will this be?

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to purchase a 40 foot non tag axle DP to travel across the US to visit national parks and other must see places, how limiting will the above be for me? Intend to have a small tow vehicle behind me and wish to visit Yellowstone, Zion, Grand Canyon, Acadia, glacier , etc.

I’m avoiding consideration for a 44 tag axle unit due to size limitations but realize the 40 footer could be a problem too, not sure.
28 REPLIES 28

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"tealboy".....We have a 40' tag axle coach and live in California. We've camped inside all of the parks you listed, with the exception of Acadia. It does require more planning to get a spot. Yellowstone is limited at Fishing Bridge and only has a small percentage of 40' spots. Yosemite has quite a few sites that will hold a 40' coach. Watchman Campground, inside Zion, also has quite a few sites that will take a 40' coach.

We're going to Yellowstone this summer and tried to get a couple of 40' spots a year out and were unsuccessful. I believe they are still rebuilding sections of the campground, limiting 40' spots. Since we were unable to get into Fishing Bridge, we booked at Grizzly, a nice private campground at the west gate of Yellowstone.

Grand Canyon only has one campground inside the park, Trailer Village. I would say most of those sites would take a 40' coach, but is hard to get a site without booking a year in advance. As with Yellowstone, there is a campground about a 1/2 mile outside the south entrance that we've always been able to book.

I listed the above campgrounds to show that if you can't get into the National Park Campground, you can usually get close enough that it's still convenient. We always prefer to get a spot inside the park, but second choice isn't bad.

The issue the last few years is not so much the length of the coach, but the extreme numbers of people camping. More than anytime in the past.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turns out the original owner is in our snowbird park having owned it until 2014 and 30K miles. Did not think it possible to add $50K in options to the top of the line HR MH but he did. The Vorad radar/cruise system makes driving on the Interstate a pleasure plus the blind spot warning helps.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Wow! I'd like to find the little brother of that 45 foot HR. Very nice rig.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Almost a twin sister of ours. We love ours and expect you will love yours. Congrats!
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
IVYLOG: Gorgeous!! Congratulations on finding such a beauty. Do you think it'll pass the 10-year-old rule soon? Silly question... it looks brand new. Enjoy!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful HR!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
08 HR Navigator 45' and yes it will just barely fit in the MH bay. Fortunately it has a 06 ISM engine and after adjusting the TRW steering gear box it handles great. Flew back to WPB as it was snowing in Blairsville this morning.

Some more pictures.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

neoflyer
Explorer
Explorer
There will be times when it works out and times when it doesn’t. I have a forty footer. Some COE sites that were for 34 or 36 foot max I fit in just fine. Usually that means you back in and hang over the end of the site, but there can’t be a tree in the way. You can’t always tell until you get there.

Other times the site indicates it will take a forty footer but there is no way. We went to Yellowstone a couple of years ago. The first campground we fit in the site OK but the next one was a terrible fit. The site was somewhat curved so once we positioned to accommodate our slides our step was out past the edge of the pad. That made the last step a doozie.

The suggestion of RV parks outside the national park might work most of the time. However, Yellowstone is so huge if you’re in one of those campgrounds you’ll spend all of your time driving to what you want to do.

My point is, unlike those who say “no problem, go for it” I don’t believe it will be that easy. You will make many compromises. But, just like airplanes and boats, everything is a compromise. I’m happy with my choice of a forty footer but I can’t always stay where I want.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Out West we boondock in USFS CGs 5 weekdays/week without problems in our 42' Dynasty. All I can say is it is not that difficult as I just brought home a 45'. Guess I need to change my signature.

So, you flew to Arizona to pick up a "New" Coach?

What did you get? Will it fit in the "Garage"

Post a few pictures ..........

Best of Luck,

😉
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Tealboy, FYI, there are two campgrounds on the south rim of GCNP.Mather is a ***** for over 30 foot but Trailer Village is fine. Reservations at TvV is a must all year.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
We had taken our 32 footer fto the Grand Canyon and didn't think twice when we went to a 36 foot DP... that is until we showed up and weren't allowed in!

This is the second comment on GC and "longer" RV's being an issue. Has something recently changed? We were in GC in 2002 with a 34' Bounder and had no issues at all with it in the campground. Based on what I saw when I was there, I wouldn't have hesitated to take my current 40' unit in there. We were on the South rim.

Sounds like something has changed. ???
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Out West we boondock in USFS CGs 5 weekdays/week without problems in our 42' Dynasty. All I can say is it is not that difficult as I just brought home a 45'. Guess I need to change my signature.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if there is a happy break point, but I don't think you'll notice a difference between a 40' and 44'. Don't rule out a floor plan you like because of length, as 40' already puts you in "big rig" status and you'll have to be selective about your campsites.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

At GC I toured the campground that is within the national park.. in a Chevy Lumina APV. and there is no way on God's Green Earth I'm taking my class A there. I am a very skilled driver when it comes to getting in and out of thight places but .. NO WAY Am I even going to THINK about taking the class A there.

Just curious... what campground at Grand Canyon were you looking? Trailer Village at the South Rim has easy sites to get into and on the North Rim there are sites.

https://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/trailer-village-rv-park/photo-gallery
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel