cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These unreliable new diesel engines!

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently my 2014 Ram Cummins with almost 100k miles on it must be a unicorn in the fact that it hasn't broke down on me yet because many people here(mostly non late model diesel owners) think that new 2010+ emission diesel trucks are just unreliable and will leave you in the shop more than on the road. Now I do agree that there were many issues when the emissions systems first came out as with anything new and some diesels with a CP4 pump did have issues.

So to all you 2010+ diesel truck owners, please post your year, engine, mileage, and how much time & and money spent on repairs (not maintenance) to the engine or emissions system along with what was done. I will start it off.

2014 Cummins
96k miles
$0 repairs
0 time on warrantable engine or emission system repairs
1 engine recall performed - replaced waterpump(which was still working fine)
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
191 REPLIES 191

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
The dog not puking is always a great thing! :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
2017 RAM 3500 with only 8000 miles. No problems. Amazing machine. Love it. Went up a ten percent grade at 70 mph pulling 9000 lb and barely got over 2200 rpm.

I love the "no drama" way a modern turbo diesel pulls up a long grade. The only real sign my lml Duramax gives me that it was working hard is hearing the fan clutch fully engaged when I get to the top. Exhaust braking down the other side is nice too.

I just got back from a 2000 mile trip to Tofino with my 2012. Got 12.4 mpg average while towing and not a single issue, whole family was comfortable with the A/C cranked and the XM blaring. Dog didn't puke once either!

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I see most of you have under 100k mile on them with no issues, well I would hope so. Wait until you have almost 300k and then come back and tell how well they held up. 250k on my 7.3 that has been chipped since 30k and 1 water pump, 2 altanators , 1 AC compressor, 1 belt, and other things not under the hood related, all of the turbo boots have been replaced, seams I keep blowing one of the off. Both front hubs, brake pads every 90k and tires every 30 to 40k, new seat covers, new head liner
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
whjco wrote:
I have a friend who owns an engine rebuild shop. He has yet to rebuild his first 6.7 Ford diesel and has said that they're very well built and quite dependable.

Of course, it's not quite as good as my Cummins! 😉

Bill J., Lexington, KY.

The injection pump is the potential issue.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who owns an engine rebuild shop. He has yet to rebuild his first 6.7 Ford diesel and has said that they're very well built and quite dependable.

Of course, it's not quite as good as my Cummins! 😉

Bill J., Lexington, KY.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Apparently my 2014 Ram Cummins with almost 100k miles on it must be a unicorn in the fact that it hasn't broke down on me yet because many people here(mostly non late model diesel owners) think that new 2010+ emission diesel trucks are just unreliable and will leave you in the shop more than on the road. Now I do agree that there were many issues when the emissions systems first came out as with anything new and some diesels with a CP4 pump did have issues.

So to all you 2010+ diesel truck owners, please post your year, engine, mileage, and how much time & and money spent on repairs (not maintenance) to the engine or emissions system along with what was done. I will start it off.

2014 Cummins
96k miles
$0 repairs
0 time on warrantable engine or emission system repairs
1 engine recall performed - replaced waterpump(which was still working fine)

My 2015 Ram 2500 CTD has had the catalytic chamber in the exhaust and the water pump replaced, both under warranty. It's also had a couple of recall software updates dealing with the passenger airbag. Everything has been covered by warranty and cost me nothing but some time, although they were in conjunction with an oil change so it didn't take much extra time.

I now have over 67k on the truck and love it. I've not had any problems whatsoever. Well, there's that one time when it quit while running 70 mph down the freeway but my wife had driven it previously and I forgot to put the seat back and my knee hit the key fob and turned it off. 🙂

Bill J., Lexington, KY
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Had 180,000 on my first Dmax now have 72,000 on my 2015. Has DEF problems mostly and a exhaust gasket for DEF also. Love my truck and use it for travel only. Got a 2014 for fun and city stuff. Life is good just don't weaken.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
2017 RAM 3500 with only 8000 miles. No problems. Amazing machine. Love it. Went up a ten percent grade at 70 mph pulling 9000 lb and barely got over 2200 rpm.

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Litch wrote:
2018 Duramax in the shop with 800 miles on it to replace an injector. Engine still stalls but catches itself and runs okay after that. Engine also surges when coming to a stop. Dealer cannot get it to do those issues when in shop so problem still exists.
Back in shop because ambient temp shows a different temp than outside, example: it showed 32 degrees this morning when it was 50. HVAC does not work properly, can never get it to a comfortable temp, always too hot or too cold. Been in shop and they tell me all is good and while driving home and it’s 80 outside, ambient temp shows 30.
I have owned Chevys since I was 16 and I’m 59 now, this is the last one after the customer service I have received.
Never should have sold the rig in my signature, a 2016 LBZ. That was a great truck.

Find a new dealer/shop.

I don't have that luxury, I live 45 minutes from closest dealer. Having to leave the truck for several days at a time and coordinate rides home and back to dealer is not easy.
I don't live in an urban jungle with multiple dealerships willing to work on my truck for warranty.
Chevy doesn't pay them for diagnostic time, just repair time. Bad system in my opinion. Im sure all the major manufacturers have the same system but that doesn't make it right. Not a lot of incentive for the shop to spend a lot of time diagnosing, is there?
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVman3252 wrote:
2012 RAM CDI 3500 - 256,000+ miles.... a few repairs, power steering pump, a few more things along with recalls, normal maintenance and tires... It's been a good truck / engine, hopefully will get me another 150,000 miles... LOL

RVman / John

Properly maintained it will get you much more than that!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Litch, that’s always frustrating.
If it makes you feel better, the other mfgs aren’t immune to random issues and incompetent service departments.
I’ve owned or driven (exclusively, work trucks assigned to me) around 30-40 new or newish pickups of all 3 brands since the mid 90s. Know what? Most of them have been basically perfect and 1 Dodge, 2 Fords and 0 GMs have been problem vehicles.
Luck o the draw man. The new L5P Dmaxes aren’t any more problem prone than the others.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
2012 RAM CDI 3500 - 256,000+ miles.... a few repairs, power steering pump, a few more things along with recalls, normal maintenance and tires... It's been a good truck / engine, hopefully will get me another 150,000 miles... LOL

RVman / John
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Litch wrote:
2018 Duramax in the shop with 800 miles on it to replace an injector. Engine still stalls but catches itself and runs okay after that. Engine also surges when coming to a stop. Dealer cannot get it to do those issues when in shop so problem still exists.
Back in shop because ambient temp shows a different temp than outside, example: it showed 32 degrees this morning when it was 50. HVAC does not work properly, can never get it to a comfortable temp, always too hot or too cold. Been in shop and they tell me all is good and while driving home and it’s 80 outside, ambient temp shows 30.
I have owned Chevys since I was 16 and I’m 59 now, this is the last one after the customer service I have received.
Never should have sold the rig in my signature, a 2016 LBZ. That was a great truck.

I had that problem with a car (Grand Prix) once it just needed a new outside temp sensor, also when it would show the false cold temp the AC would not work right.

There was some logic to cut the AC out at a certain low outside temp.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Litch wrote:

Find a new dealer/shop.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln