cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vehicle Insurance in Sonora without a FMM (Visa)

Janie_Ryan
Explorer
Explorer
I was on another thread about the border crossing at Lukeville when I originally mentioned this problem. I thought I would post it under a new topic to get a broader audience. This is our first time travelling with our RV to Mexico. We have Mexico insurance on our RV and Truck. We are In San Carlos Mexico and planning on staying in the Free Zone. My understanding is that we don't need TIP as long as we stay in this zone. What I didn't realize we needed was a travel Visa (FMM). We were not stopped or asked at the border for this documentation or we would have got it then. Now, I'm hearing that our Insurance would be void if we were to get into an accident. Is that true? Also, is there any way to get our FMM from here so we can correct this. Thanks.
Dennis & Janie Ryan,
RV - 2014 F150 4x4
25 REPLIES 25

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Cool! Great idea, online!

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Talleyho69
No, you are fine. Officially, they don't want them back because they expire. You may read other things about it, but that's what we have heard consistently about them.
Sure hope you come back, and use this forum for information about the GREAT things about Mexico without the hassles!

Janie_Ryan
Explorer
Explorer
Update: we got an FMM by buying it on-line. When we crossed the border back from Mexico at Sonoyta, we were not asked for it at all, so I hope this doesn't mean they think we're still in the country?
Dennis & Janie Ryan,
RV - 2014 F150 4x4

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad

Talleyho69
If you are at Totonaca RV park, the office guy (great guy, don't remember his name) would happily call for you and find out if it's possible.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Try the Guaymas Airport first, you are only 15-20 miles away.

rocmoc n AZ

Talleyho69
I think Chris and Alex have posted your only two options: take the chance (99%) that no one will ask you for it or drive back to the border and get it.

Then, consider it part of the experience and be sure to return to Mexico!

Janie_Ryan
Explorer
Explorer
We are in San Carlos, really don't want to have to do that.
Dennis & Janie Ryan,
RV - 2014 F150 4x4

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Where are you now? Maybe you should just go back to the border and get the permit. Then there is no question.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Janie Ryan wrote:
Now, I'm hearing that our Insurance would be void if we were to get into an accident. Is that true? Also, is there any way to get our FMM from here

1. I'm not aware of events corroborating Yes or No answer.
2. No. 99% chance that nobody will ask you, either.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If it's Mexico, and the government, things change every ten minutes.

Friday LAST, a woman aduanero whistled to the guy downstream of her and suddenly I was in secondary at Garita 2 at Tijuana. Demanded car ownership pink slip, noted car registration expiration. Demanded to see FMM. When he started to complain about my soon to expire car registration and 11-days left on my FMM, I played the successful part of a deaf old man that insisted on shaking his hand every 5 minutes. To be succinct this happened AFTER the red/green lights. They positioned five or six aduaneros on the centerlines between lanes, maybe twenty in all.

Eduardo was sweating it. I told him to relax. Extremely polite, extremely confused and extremely hard of hearing works like a champ, if your hair is gray.

And nothing was missing or out of date. Eduardo suggested they were probably cranked up over the then steel and aluminum tariffs.

500-crossings then a hassle. IOn the 1990's I was crossing at Tecate sometimes three times a day for three years working for Duran Trucking.

Giving these mordelones any guff only makes it worse. Smile, be polite and let them steam

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talleyho69 wrote:
You are absolutely correct. Even for a stroll across the border in Tijuana, they now issue a free FMM that is good for (I think) 72 hours.

Best thing they can do is be safe, careful and hope for the best!

Really? I strolled across the border at Puerto Palomas / Columbus on Wednesday. Shopped, ate in Mexico then strolled back to the US. No visa required or any identification or inspection on the walk into Mexico.

It's the same in Los Algodones when crossing into Mexico. I could stay there a week and no one would know. (not that i would):)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
This may have changed!
A few years back we met friends at the Empalme Customs Office (just south of Guaymas on Mex 15) to go further South. They had not got their Visas (Now FFM) at KM21. Empalme office would not issue TIP without Visas and Empalme does not issue Visas. But they were able get Visas at the Guaymas Airport but had to pay a 1000 peso penalty ($100US at the time). After they had their Visas were able to get their TIP at Empalme. Don't know if this is still possible.

rocmoc n AZ

Talleyho69
That's good news. Having a TIP or FMM isn't a prerequisite for purchasing the insurance, but can be for having them pay out if something should occur. With any luck at all, all of this will just be a learning experience and nothing will happen.