cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrade to 16" wheels ,seek opinions for tires (LT vs ST?)

XR4rider
Explorer
Explorer
I know this topic has been beaten into the ground, however, as I read forum after forum about the LT vs ST topic, I noticed a lot of people posting about changing to LT tires have heavier trailers with heavier axles (6,000, 7000lbs etc).

I just purchased a new light 29' 5th wheel. The dry weight is about 7300lbs and it came with 4400lb LCI axles. The trailer came with cheap ST225/75-15 load range D tires. The first upgrade I would like to do is take of the current 15" wheels and put on 16" wheels. After reading all the different opinions about LT vs ST tires and reading about what brand tires people are using, I think I have narrowed it down to either:
1) Michelin XPS Ribs LT225/75R16 weight = 50lbs
2) Bridgestone Duravis LT225/75R16 weight = 52lbs
3) Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75/16 weight - 34lbs

All those listed are load range E.

I have thought about sticking with the 15" but seems there are more, and better, tire options with 16"s.

So my question is will running the Michelin or Bridgestone tires cause more long term wear on other components because of their heavier weight? The Firestone Transforce is quite a bit lighter.

I have read through various forms that people have had good experiences with all three brands.

I will be traveling around the country for the next 2 years so I will be putting quite a bit of miles on the trailer, so trying eliminate as many blowouts and mechanical issues as possible.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions
26 REPLIES 26

XR4rider
Explorer
Explorer
I think I have settled on the Firestone Transforce HT's. I have read a lot of good reviews from others that use these on their trailers. So another option I was thinking about, in regards to tire size, was instead of going with the 225/75r16, going with the 215/85r16. The only reason I was thinking of this tire was its slightly taller, although a bit skinnier. I would like to raise the trailer just an inch so that is why I like the taller tire. I just need to make sure they fit both in the wheel well and tire spacing between the two. The 225 has a diameter of 29.3" and the 215 is 30.4". If they do seem to fit after my measurements, has anyone had issues with running a slightly skinnier tire?

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same went from a ST 225/75/15 D to a LT 225/75/16 E a 16 X 6" or a 16 X 6.5" will be good, I don't remember but I think mine are just 6" wide rims and by the way the 16"LT tire is just 1" taller than the ST 15" tire going by the size calculator Discount Tire Direct.

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Watch for wheel well to tire clearance vertically if you go to larger tires and wheels. I have had tire to wheel well contact once since I upsized tires.It was during an emergency maneuver when I was forced into the median at 70mph for about 800-900 yards and the liner was damaged pretty good. I don't think it has hit again but I watch for curbs and holes closely now. I think I lost about an inch of clearance with the larger tires.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
LT is probably more durable. Either way I recommend tires that cover the full trailer GVWR.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Just this last december went from 15 to 16 inch tire & wheels . I went with the Goodyear endurance the best deal was with discount tiredirect.com tires wheels & shipping . Shipping right to my door mounted balanced new lugs

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
XR4rider wrote:
Hi John,
Thank you for the link and info. Yes the 4400# axles are a concern for me. Eventually I will upgrade to 5200# and correct springs. The GVWR is 10,300. I also plan on adding an equalizer and shock kit. Thanks for that write up. I will definitely make sure I have all the clearances needed.

Hi XR4rider

Your welcome.

These new 4,400# axles they have come out with are a way to again downsize components. And they are thinner too which means they can bend easier too. By going with the lighter axles it also puts the need on the owner to really watch the loading of the camper left to right. The camper is built the way it is and there is usually a heavier side then the other and a heavier wheel location. By downsizing the axles, that one heavy side or wheel can be real close to or over the limit of the spring or axle on the heavy side. But still under the GVWR just due to the way you can load the camper. The storage is located by the floor plan.

The cost at the OEM level between a 4,400# axle and a 5,200# axle is not much. When I bought new axle tubes (fixing an axle mess up) it only cost me at resale cost, $15 an axle to go from 5,200 to a 6,000# axle tube. I spent the extra $30 bucks and moved on. Why do the mfg's cheap out so much.

Yes, if you plan to keep the camper a good long time, suspension upgrades are for sure worth it. Shocks and the rubber equalizer really do help. Your camper and mine are close to the same GVWR. I'm on 10,000# GVWR.

If you are adding shocks, (I did here Adding TT Shock Absorbers (Long/lots of pics)) you need to watch out what schock kit they offer. Some of the shocks are mounted so close to horizontal they are not very effective. I have now seen this better shock kit with premade up brackets. They cost more but they have the angle of the shock right and even angled to help with some body roll. Just passing it along in case it helps. This was not available when I did mine in 2010.
RVimprovementsystems.com

Good luck and hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

XR4rider
Explorer
Explorer
Hi John,
Thank you for the link and info. Yes the 4400# axles are a concern for me. Eventually I will upgrade to 5200# and correct springs. The GVWR is 10,300. I also plan on adding an equalizer and shock kit. Thanks for that write up. I will definitely make sure I have all the clearances needed.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I did the switch back in 09 with a 07 Jayco. New Dexstar rims & 235/85 BFG's. Took those BFG's off in late 11 and put them on the Montana for 2 more years. On the light trailers the Duravis & Ribs are overkill. Yes they are better tires. I now run the Duravis. But with the Jayco 70 psi was the max pressure I could run and still maintain contact across the tread. Poly cord tires will be fine, and it is worth the $$$.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
My conversion post may help. See here ST225/75R15 to LT225/75R16 Conversion

In my case, I picked BFG Goodrich LT225/75R16 LR E All season Commercial truck tires. I am due to change them soon, not due to wear, but age. I have had excellent results with these and I'm glad I did the upgrade.

I bought Dexstar rims from Etrailer. They were made in the USA and still where a year ago when I bought smaller rims for my other camper. They are a quality trailer tire rim. Most nowadays are offshore ones and the tire stem hole is P poor.

While you are doing the new rims, consider putting metal valve stems in now in case you choose to add a TPM system. If not metal stems and no TPM, then at least get high pressure snap in's.

Those 4,400# axles are a red flag for me. They gave you over 10,000# of ST tires (even if junk tires) buy they stopped short in the axle tubes? The springs I'm sure match them. What is the GVWR of the camper?

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Donโ€™t worry about the weight of the tires themselves. Itโ€™s negligible in the big picture.

Agree, they are not โ€œdriveโ€ axles so go as heavy as you want. The heavier the better IMO.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Get the Bridgestone Duravis that fit your needs if you can fit wheels to your rig. They are awesome tires. Heavier weighing tires have no effect other than more rubber on the road and more protection from the elements.

+1 on the Bridgestone Duravis. Huge difference in build quality compared to the factory STs that came off the trailer. Iโ€™ll never use STs again.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Had a set of Firestone Transforce didnt last 20,000 miles
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Donโ€™t worry about the weight of the tires themselves. Itโ€™s negligible in the big picture.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well our Keystone Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS came from the factory with LT 235/85-16E Tacoma tires that went 12 years. Not really my choice, but most trips under 150 miles and the tires were in great shape.
Replaced with Yokohama HY HTX LT 235/85-16E rated at 3,042# at 80 psi @ 106 MPH!!! So for normal highway speeds of 65 to 70 I have full confidence even though a ST tire of the same size is rated for about 300# more, but only to 65 mph in most cases.
The 5er GVWR is 12,360# which means less than 10,000# on the tires.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"