cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CO replacement help

r1Mk
Explorer
Explorer
It's time to replace my CO detector but it's hard wired (takes battery also). The wiring does not have any connectors I can disconnect. Can I just cut the wires and leave them stuffed in the wall and install a residential detector that runs on battery only.

MOD'S EDIT: I changed CO2 to CO for you. Lots of amateur chemists here will beat you up all day for that extra oxygen atom that changes carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide.
'06 GMC Duramax 4X4
'12 Fuzion 302
Winter 3 sleds
Summer 3 quads
7 REPLIES 7

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
in my old trailer there was one detector that when tripped shut off the propane, don't recall if it was CO or propane.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
r1Mk wrote:
Just wondering what, if anything, would happen if those wires stay disconnected. I can't find another detector that is also hard wired.

There shouldn't be any harm in capping them off. That's what we did with our old CO detector.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

r1Mk
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering what, if anything, would happen if those wires stay disconnected. I can't find another detector that is also hard wired.
'06 GMC Duramax 4X4
'12 Fuzion 302
Winter 3 sleds
Summer 3 quads

dedmiston
We had trouble with our last trailer as the detectors pooped out. It's really hard to find a replacement that's the same size as the original.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I think you mean Co - carbon monoxide.

Scott

Yeah, if you had a CO2 detector, it would deploy every time you exhaled. Quite a nuisance.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think you mean Co - carbon monoxide.

Scott

Helimech
Explorer
Explorer
Sure you can, but can't you cut the existing wires and splice in the new?