cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you buy a non-China bomb tire for a trailer?

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
I want to get new tires for a trailer with 13" tires. Is there a 13" trailer tire not made in China? I've read too many stories of Chinese trailer tires blowing out to want any on my trailer. It doesn't save any money when you keep having to replace tires and $150 fenders destroyed by blown out tires.

The Goodyear Endurance tires are not available in 13" unfortunately.
27 REPLIES 27

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
steve-n-vicki wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
....... Todays P tires run in the 44-51 psi range which is the same pressure as a C ST tire.

Yeah, but the load carrying capacity maxes out at 35 psi for P type tires. The fact that the max pressure is higher only means it is permissible to inflate the tire higher. It does not mean the load carrying capacity is the same as an ST tire.

Be very careful here. P type tires can fail in the same way ST tires do if overloaded.

at 35 psi my P tires will carry 1603 lbs, at 51 psi they will carry 2337 lbs, I run 49 psi ,2245 lbs this is all by a load inflation chart

You need to document where you got that. My book says P type tires max out at 35 psi for Standard Load tires and 41 psi for Extra Load tires.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
steve-n-vicki wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
....... Todays P tires run in the 44-51 psi range which is the same pressure as a C ST tire.

Yeah, but the load carrying capacity maxes out at 35 psi for P type tires. The fact that the max pressure is higher only means it is permissible to inflate the tire higher. It does not mean the load carrying capacity is the same as an ST tire.

Be very careful here. P type tires can fail in the same way ST tires do if overloaded.

at 35 psi my P tires will carry 1603 lbs, at 51 psi they will carry 2337 lbs, I run 49 psi ,2245 lbs this is all by a load inflation chart

Wrong.... P rated are load biased by 32 psi afaik. The tire is derated 9% when put on a truck. Increasing pressure will do nill for weight. But will increase speed rating...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

chinook507
Explorer
Explorer
My question is, what speed are you towing at?
2001 Excursion V10
2013 Keystone Cougar
1997 Kawasaki 1100STX Jet Ski
1991 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4X4
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220 2X4

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Barry....however my point was toward 44-51 psi tire have more pressure ,than the old 32-35 psi tires, to help hold the tire on the rim during side scrub situations and work fine on trailers.

Also the P tire used on a trailer/truck load capacity is reduced per fed regs by dividing its capacity by 1.1 ....example a 1862 lb capacity P tire is now has a 1692 lb load capacity.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Like others I keep P tires on my single axle trailers and even on tandem axle trailers with 3500 lb axle and smaller.
Years back P tires had a 32 psi max pressure and could pop a bead if loaded heavy and turning real tight.
Todays P tires run in the 44-51 psi range which is the same pressure as a C ST tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
With tire output estimated at 960 million units in 2017, China is the largest producer of tires in the world, followed by the United States and Japan.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that The tires overall diameter is what matters, so the one inch bigger rim doesnโ€™t mean tire outside diameter is one inch bigger... probably more like 2 inches increase.
185/80/13 diameter 24.6 inches
205/75/14 diameter 26.1 inches
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would have no problem at all using a passenger car tire on a single axle trailer as long as it meets the weight carrying requirements.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what TireRack advises if you want to use P-rated tires on a trailer.
Tiresize.com has a chart with which you can make size comparisons for different size wheels.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
+1 for Goodyear Endurance

If the Endurance tire came in 13" this wouldn't even be a discussion. I don't know that I have room for a 14" wheel and tire. The cost also goes way up if I have to buy three wheels plus tires.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II