Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting Items

Diamondair
Explorer
Explorer
Good Evening

I have a 2015 Jayco Jayflight TT and was fishing for some feedback on mounting items. This is our first travel trailer and 3 years owning it.

I have been nervous on mounting items with screws and been using command strips for everything. Most of everything is holding well but I was to add a mounted paper towel holder. This is a metal holder that has a type of spring load to it.

Now we all know those things take a beating from being pulled and yanked. I am looking to mount to the underside of my cabinet. The under side is hollow sounding. Not a solid piece of wood, which I think could be that way for some type of serviceability. I do not think the command strip will last long at all. A screw in m opinion would last but not that long just note enough material to grab on too.
So I ran across using pop rivets in my search on mounting something like this.

I am curious what everyone is doing to mounting things like this and other things. Possibly looking to mount a medicine cabinet in the RR exterior wall as well. Not sure what I could do there or if the rivets would work.

Does anyone have any recommendations on this?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
2011 Ford F350 4x4
15 REPLIES 15

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dup.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a fan of Oscar rivets (a type of blind rivet) that are sold for use in RVs. They have a high holding power and don't need a backing washer like regular pop rivets. Good choice for towel bars/hooks that will get pulled from time to time and heavy items. They don't penetrate a wall very far and are good for thin walls/cabinetry.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
So far I've only hung one item on my walls. It's our travel map. I put the map on a large picture frame. This is where we record the states we've been in with our trailers. I screwed a screw into the wall and hung the picture frame. When underway, we pull it off and lay it under a blanket on the bed. When we are camped somewhere, we hang it.

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad to see this post as I am wondering the same thing about my new Sonoma. I used command hooks in my old truck camper when I was in Oregon and they held great. Now am in hot hot Arizona and my command hooks adhesive melted right off the wall. Maybe there is better insulation on my new camper??? I don't want to damage my new beauty

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The walls of my trailer are filled with foam -- I use spiral plastic wall anchors to hold the screws:

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I have a towel dispenser attached to the bottom of a cabinet. As you described, the cabinet has a hollow bottom. I used Molly bolts to attach it. Buy Molly bolts designed for thin seufaces. Because the cabinet bottom is hollow, the back side of the Molly bolts will be hidden inside, and they will be strong enough to hold the dispenser for the life of your camper.

seekingsummits
Explorer
Explorer
Just for some extra info my 2017 outback 325bh has the fiberglass exterior vs the corregated metal panels if that matters.

seekingsummits
Explorer
Explorer
Im looking at the same idea. Im looking to mount this to
Tv mount to my exterior. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071XDW3LD
Its only going to have a 32in tv and just when we are oarked obviously. Suggestions for best mounting method?
Thanks
Adam

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I would not try to glue anything to the paneling in a camper. It may stick at first and it may stick forever. Murphy says that either the glue will fail or will end up peeling a section of vinyl/paper covering off the wall, leaving a patch of bare luaun.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If the wall or space behind the intended screw is hallow, then a Molly bolt mount is probably your best bet.

If the wall is styrofoam filled, there's Molly's won't work, neither will expanding bolts, as the styrofoam won't allow the expansion. In that case, glue another board on the surface and use regular screws to hold it in place, or a nail gun with finishing nails. After the glue sets up, then you can mount anything to the additional thickness of wood with a normal wood screw.

If attaching anything to an outside wall, make absolutely sure the screw you are using is shorter than the thickness of your wall.

Attaching a cabinet to the wall, you really need to hit the studs. Although with enough glue (like original Liquid Nails) with a few nail gun finishing nails to hold it in place, will also do the trick pretty well. Just make sure the nails are long enough to go through the cabinet back and the paneling on the wall, but not so long it penetrates the outside wall of the camper.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used SS screws snugged up to hold all kinds of lightweight stuff on the camper walls. The trick is to not spin the screw past the tight stage.
Our paper towel holder is also screwed into the bottom 5mm plywood layer of a wall cabinet. No problem after 2 or so years.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You could probably through-bolt the towel holder into the bottom of the cabinet. I would use a fastener with a thin head so that cabinet items could be removed and added easily.

FWIW, I have one of those Command Strips, Extra Strength that I use for hanging a framed picture. It hasn't budged in 6 years. I think the Extra Strength Command strips are used for mirrors and towel bars, etc.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My command strips started pulling the wall paper off the wall. All I had on it were rain coats and jackets. So I just drove a small nail through the command strip.

I had the same thing happen with a small mirror, the wall paper started to pucker under the little command strip, so I push it back and used a small brad nail on that one.

I have concluded the wall paper glue they used creeps when under pressure.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
Use well nuts. Drill mounting hole, insert rubber encased nut. As you tighten the screw the rubber expands. I have used these in blind, hollow walls in my trailer for years. Available at any hardware store.