cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopefully This Will Bring A Smile...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And with the present negative aspects of all the warts of the country...reading this brought forth the warmest of smiles. Pilar and Dalia read the version in Spanish and they were full of questions.

So PLEASE! This isn't about RV'ing in Mexico. It IS about HOPE and about the people of my two friends from Simojovel Chiapas. Two university students both Tsetal indigenous...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scientist, 9, awarded for solar water heater
Prestigious science prize given to a child for the first time
Mexico News Daily | Tuesday, March 6, 2018

A nine-year-old girl from Chiapas has been awarded a prestigious science prize for a solar water heater she designed and made.

Xóchitl Guadalupe Cruz López of San Cristóbal de las Casas received the ICN Women’s Recognition Award from the Institute of Nuclear Science at the National Autonomous University (UNAM).

It is the first time the prize has been awarded to a child.

Xóchitl explained that she was motivated to invent her project because of the cold climate in her home town.

“In San Cristóbal it’s very cold most of the year so if people shower with cold water they can get sick with respiratory illnesses and constantly have to go to the doctor,” she said.

Xóchitl consequently set out to design and make a low-cost water heater that doesn’t harm the environment and is accessible to people of limited economic means.

“I want to help with my knowledge because there are a lot of poor people here,” she said.

Xóchitl started with some basic sketches in her notebook but soon progressed to the stage when she was ready to gather the materials required for her homemade creation.

The young scientist explained that her solar heater is made of a 15-meter black hose, 10 PET bottles that she painted black, plastic cable ties, a wooden base, black nylon and recycled glass.

“I used the glass doors of a broken cooler to create a greenhouse effect . . .” Xóchitl explained.

The heater, which she installed on her home’s rooftop, has the capacity to heat 10 liters of water to between 35 and 45 C.

Xóchitl’s father Lucio, an indigenous education teacher at a pre-school, encouraged his daughter during each step of the process and said he was pleased with what she has achieved.

“I’m very proud of my daughter because here in Chiapas it’s very difficult to excel in science . . . As teachers we don’t have that specialization and we’re finding out little by little how to teach the young ones. The truth is that we’ve learned a lot with her,” he said.
Young scientist Xóchitl López.
Young scientist Xóchitl López.

Xóchitl also received support to complete her heater from the UNAM Adopt a Talent Program, which encourages students from pre-school to high school to undertake scientific projects.

Apart from science, she also has a passion for soccer and mathematics and hopes one day to get a doctorate in the latter. But before then she has more immediate goals to achieve.

“My brother and I want to improve the heater,” she explained.
6 REPLIES 6

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Yay for her!!!!!!!

I have a black hose on the roof of my van, for hot water :). The bottles sound like an improvement!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
With my tips and assistance Xavier and Ernesto started a business conducting tours from the plaza mayor (big plaza) in San Cristobal to Simojovel and they funded three years of college with the income.

The tours were in Spanish. The subject was to get to know their people and as a bonus become up front and personal with finding and buying amber. I lost track of them ten years ago. I was treated like a long-lost cousin in their village 8 miles northeast of Simojovel.

The area does get cold but dropping down 2,000 feet in altitude to Simojovel adds 15+ degrees to winter temps. The little 9-year old genius lives way up a 7,000 ft no doubt within San Crostobal's Anillo de Miseria, the ring of poverty surrounding the city. Tzotzil and Tzetal indians are absolutely unlike Meztizos. They are proud and sneer at corruption and drugs. They have "done away with" drug gang members and that is why you never hear about problems except maybe i Tuxtla or San Cristobal proper.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Necessity is the mother of invention - often.

Now, try explaining to Norte Americano what a necessity is, or how anything good could come out of such a seemingly terrible situation 🙂

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You make me smile every time you post, for various reasons.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
🙂
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Great!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad